Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1872 and 2072 SeaArk

Default 1872 and 2072 SeaArk

Looking at getting an 1872 or a 2072 SeaArk w/ jet tunnel.

Does anyone have one that they could post pictures of? Preferable with a stand-up center console.

Thanks!

Here is my buddy Paul's 1872 tunnel with a 150 Honda. Originally, it was a side console. We spent the winter a few years ago in his garage removing all the old stuff and replacing it with a new center console. This boat kicks ***** in Chitnia!!! He wishes it was the 2072.

Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Why does he wish it was a 20'?

Default why a SeaArk?

Why not an Alweld? I wonder what you may see in the one and not the other? Take a look at the total number of ribs and support structure in both. Also look at the welds, both length and quality.
    Also look at the paint or coatings on both.
    I won't bash one over the other. I will tell you that my Alweld has been used hard. On the Yukon trips we do she carries over 3,000lbs each way. Down river speeds run around 36mph. The hull is still in exceptional condition. Welds have held up throughout the boat. The paint has not chipped of its own accord one bit.
    I did look at SeaArk before I purchased the Alweld. I looked at both new and used boats. What I saw confirmed my initial assessment to go with the Alweld. I have not been sorry once.

Default pics

One: I have a 2072 for sale, pics incl, listed here, on Craig's, etc. Mine has the steering wheel on the starboard side, w/ center walk-through door. It has a tunnel and a 200 hp Merc inboard. Yes, it moves along quite nicely. I can probably dig up more pics if you'd like, too. To answer your question "Why does he wish it was 20?", I would bet "room" is the answer. I've been in a 17' several times, and they are OK for one guy, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
    One: I have a 2072 for sale, pics incl, listed here, on Craig's, etc. Mine has the steering wheel on the starboard side, w/ center walk-through door. It has a tunnel and a 200 hp Merc inboard. Yes, it moves along quite nicely. I can probably dig up more pics if you'd like, too. To answer your question "Why does he wish it was 20?", I would bet "room" is the answer. I've been in a 17' several times, and they are OK for one guy, IMO.

Yeah, I've got a 1652 Jet right now - I love it to death, especially on the small sloughs - But running through the salt to get to some of the rivers around here leaves you desiring somthing with a bit more length....

Rat, what size Alweld and motor are you running?

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    Why does he wish it was a 20'?
    You will find that 18' of boat can be taken up quickly with gear and dead critters.

I think SeaArk is the best welded boat hands down. Go grab the gunwhale (Sides) of a SeaArk you will see the difference right away. They are built like tanks. It's a boat that will NEVER have to be replaced.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Quote Originally Posted by jtm9 View Post
    Rat, what size Alweld and motor are you running?
    He's running a 22' Alweld with a 150hp Yamaha V-Max.

Default YEP

The V-Max is a carb model. Not the best on gas, but we do ok. AKTrout saw the rig last year.
    Honest to gosh I have nothing to gain by avocating for Alweld. I did spend over 5 years scoping out boat hulls. My wife said I analyzed them to death.
    I am not sure why some people would say the SeaArk is the best welded boat hands down. A guy needs to look at everything, keeping in mind compare apples to apples, i.e 20"x72" with 30" sides.
    If you parked the boats side by side in a parking lot, this is what I would be asking and looking at.
    What is the hull thickness, and what grade aluminum is it?
    How many ribs are there, what is the style/design, what is the distance center to center, and how many welds are there, or how long are the welds.
    What is the bow design? How is it welded?
    How is the transom reinforced? Does the stearn have a drywell?
    How is the paint applied? What kind of paint is it? How was the aluminum treated prior to painting?
    Then I would be looking at the add ons such as the consoles, windshield, doors, etc. Some companies or dealers have better systems.
    For a boat that size, that style, I don't care about weight. It is simply not an issue for me based in part on the hp I run. A dealer here in town used to brag about how light his boats were compared to other makes. He did not compare apples to apples.
    I am not trying to talk anybody out of or into anything. Rather, I am curious as to the quantitative differences that a person sees to drive their decision toward a certain style, make, or model. Quantitative might simply mean availability or price too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    The V-Max is a carb model. Not the best on gas, but we do ok. AKTrout saw the rig last year.
    Honest to gosh I have nothing to gain by avocating for Alweld. I did spend over 5 years scoping out boat hulls. My wife said I analyzed them to death.
    I am not sure why some people would say the SeaArk is the best welded boat hands down. A guy needs to look at everything, keeping in mind compare apples to apples, i.e 20"x72" with 30" sides.
    If you parked the boats side by side in a parking lot, this is what I would be asking and looking at.
    What is the hull thickness, and what grade aluminum is it?
    How many ribs are there, what is the style/design, what is the distance center to center, and how many welds are there, or how long are the welds.
    What is the bow design? How is it welded?
    How is the transom reinforced? Does the stearn have a drywell?
    How is the paint applied? What kind of paint is it? How was the aluminum treated prior to painting?
    Then I would be looking at the add ons such as the consoles, windshield, doors, etc. Some companies or dealers have better systems.
    For a boat that size, that style, I don't care about weight. It is simply not an issue for me based in part on the hp I run. A dealer here in town used to brag about how light his boats were compared to other makes. He did not compare apples to apples.
    I am not trying to talk anybody out of or into anything. Rather, I am curious as to the quantitative differences that a person sees to drive their decision toward a certain style, make, or model. Quantitative might simply mean availability or price too.
    Well for me, I am sold on SeaArk because I already own one, and have been more than happy with it. I am not saying its better or worse then an Alweld....Its just what works for me?

I also have a family member who owns a shop and has dealership status. I just wanted to see people's setups...

Default that's cool

A satisfied customer is the best advertising. Makes sense to me. And maybe some day I'll get to go for a ride in your SeaArk.
    Sure doesn't hurt to have family on the inside.

I have a sea ark I will you sell too I will make a smoke deal on.

AKRiverrat, I have run a 22' Alweld up the Koyukuk with 115hp and it was a great boat. Hauled two big moose and is built stout. I would have bought one if I could have found a deal on one.
    I did find a deal on a 24' Sea Ark and it will be my new Yukon boat. After reading your posts on what to look for between Sea Ark and Alweld, I do think the Alweld is probably a bit stouter but not by much.
    You must scoot along with the Vmax?
    AKtroutbum, the Carolina I had done there last year is for sale, cmon you know you want it! For you and you alone, I would make a heck of a deal!

Default JT

Yep, we move pretty well with 150 ponies hanging on the butt of the boat. I like it. But, I sometimes wonder if I should have bit on the OptiMax. And a bigger one to boot.
    But I digress here, as the thread is about SeaArks, and not my boat. Tell you what, I am a bit of a prostitute, I'll ride in about anything.
    And you're a day late with the offer to AKTBum. He pulled the trigger on a cough cough other type of boat.
    OneLung, how old is your older SArk, and how is the paint holding up? Even though I have seen an occasional problem, I can't believe every one of them has the paint peeling off.

Yep, we move pretty well with 150 ponies hanging on the butt of the boat. I like it. But, I sometimes wonder if I should have bit on the OptiMax. And a bigger one to boot.
    But I digress here, as the thread is about SeaArks, and not my boat. Tell you what, I am a bit of a prostitute, I'll ride in about anything.
    And you're a day late with the offer to AKTBum. He pulled the trigger on a cough cough other type of boat.
    OneLung, how old is your older SArk, and how is the paint holding up? Even though I have seen an occasional problem, I can't believe every one of them has the paint peeling off.

I am loosing the paint on the inside of the boat on the deck - But that is in large part because of the abuse I have given. On the exterior it is holding up great. The bottom is scrapped up from some ecounters with rocks (oops) otherwise great.

Boat is probably around a 2000 or so? Its been ran hard, and even sunk...but she keeps on givin...

Rat, I wish you were around so I could give you a good hard slap on the back for that cough of yours. Man I am digging this boat though. The only concern I have is running the Yukon in big chop, thinking that I might get beat up a bit.

Default the beat down

AK Trout, get a soft ride seat and you'll be fine. You know the type like they but in big rigs. Spring loaded, hydralic assisted. Pretty heavy, but man they are sweet.
    Or, you can go the cheaper route. I've used a "C" shaped piece of aluminum with a spring in it designed for boat seats to provide a softer ride. One of those will raise the seat about 3" or so. The spring is pretty heavy, like a big valve spring. They work ok and are much lighter than the big rig seats.

Default Trout?

What boat did you get? C'mon, tell me, tell me, tell me! Are you taking it down this year?

Thought I would resurrect this thread instead of starting a new one. Looking at getting an 18' Sea Ark jet Tunnel with a 115 (80) jet. Few questions:

1. Should I get the 1860 or 1872? Leaning towards the 1872 so I can fit more crap in it. However, will the wider boat handle like a pig? Looks like it weighs 250 lbs more.

2. If I go with the wider hull, will a 115 outboard be enough? I had a 16' with 60/40 jet and it seemed to have more than enough power.

3. Will the aforementioned setups have enough juice to dip net out of down in Chitina?

Perhaps anyone with expereince of similar setups could weigh in... thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast