Thread: Looking for a plane I fit in for hunting......

Default Looking for a plane I fit in for hunting......

After being in Alaska for almost 20 years I decided I would like to learn to fly and buy a plane (wife says mid-life crisis). I want to use the plane for hunting/fishing. I am going to keep it on wheels.

Here is the problem I have encountered. I am 6'4"/250 lbs. I don't fit in Cubs or Citabrias. I would like to buy a keeper now and get comfortable flying it. Something that I can take hunting and actually carry more than a sandwich and two gallons of gas.

I actually fit in a Cessna, but there have to be other options out there.

I appreciate suggestions for further research. I would like to keep the purchase cost under $50k.

Try on a Stinson or an Aeronca Sedan. Both can occasionally be found in your price range and both are pretty roomy. Not that the price range is pushing too low, there just aren't a lot of either around. Properly equipped, both are very capable airplanes, too. A Pacer is another good choice. Lots of mods are available for the Pacer, right up to making it into a Producer, which is a great bush plane. You might even trip on a Cessna 170B, but it would have a 145hp at that price. Still a good choice and an airplane you could be happy with for the long haul.

Good luck.

Default Looking for a plane I fit in for hunting

Default I have a Pacer for sale

I have a Pacer for sale that can be had for $24000, Good times and equipment. Want it gone before Oct., I have another plane and two are too many. Tom

Even a PA-12 would work for a guy your size. Depending on how the seat is set up.

Learning to fly is not a mid-life crisis, just something that should have been done earlier but was interferred with by all those other folks (wives and kids) taking away time and money.

Swapping out the old wife for one who never mentions a mid-life crisis because she is too young to know what that is ,,,,, well that may really be the mid-life crisis....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by JimT View Post
    Here is the problem I have encountered. I am 6'4"/250 lbs. I don't fit in Cubs.
    NO Problem, just fly it from the BACK seat, and strap your stuff up front.

I own an Arctic Tern. It has much more room than a cub.

This one is not mine and dont know it.. just an example

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/rvs/1286555122.html

JimT, we're the same size and I fit quite well in a 7GCBC with a fixed seat. Might even fit better if'n I had a moveable seat frame for it . . . .

Default Agree 7GCBC

I agree you should fit good in a 7GCBC and real good with an adjustable seat.

Terry

A Pacer should be a good fit for you. And leave you lots of gas money left over.
    -Out-of-State for school, remembering why I love Alaska so much

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Hotel View Post
    JimT, we're the same size and I fit quite well in a 7GCBC with a fixed seat. Might even fit better if'n I had a moveable seat frame for it . . . .
    I sat in a 7GCBC and I might have had an inch between my knees and the lower edge of the instrument panel. I figured that wasn't going to be such a good idea if I had ideas of walking later in life. Other than that, it was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by strangeak View Post
    I own an Arctic Tern. It has much more room than a cub.

This one is not mine and dont know it.. just an example

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/rvs/1286555122.html

I was wondering about the Tern size wise. When I sit in the front seat of a Cub my knees are in the instrument panel and I have a divot in the top of my head from the tubes in the upper fuselage.

Never having seen a Tern close up, I have to admit that I am curious. They are a bit spendy for me right now though.

If you are going to make it to ANC, PM me and ill see if we can get you in mine. Its down right now for some maintenance, but nothing that will hamper a trial fit.

Mine does not have the 3 position from seat either, just the one (which im just a touch short for) but the newer ones do.