Thread: Winter Hunting

Default Winter Hunting

This is going to be my first year hopefully hunting in Alaska.

I live in the valley and was wondering if there is is any popular hunts."which there probably is"

Let me know some good winter game.

Winter is generally a time for small game such as ptarmigan and hares, along with predator hunting for fox, coyotes, wolves, and lynx. There are limited big game options in the winter, most involving long snowmachine rides or ski plane flights. Look at the dates listed in the hunting regs to get an idea of what is still open in the winter.

Default Caribou

If you are a resident there are some caribou opportunities. Look under Registration hunts.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Musk Ox in unit 22 is open to all residents.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Musk Ox in unit 22 is open to all residents.
    Thanks for the reminder on that one, marten. That is a hunt that I'd like to do sometime. The only caveat on this one is that the horns must be cut if removing them from Unit 22.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Thanks for the reminder on that one, marten. That is a hunt that I'd like to do sometime. The only caveat on this one is that the horns must be cut if removing them from Unit 22.

Well Brian...

before you go take a shop class. at school...

they will teach you HOW to stick things back together.....

as i am sure you are less interested in the BC score, as the experiance and the memory...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince, the problem is they don't give you the bottom part back. This year they whack off from above the eye (so a significant portion is gone). And TRUST me, no taxi can make it look real!!

MT is just babblin' cause he wants you to sell him your horns/boss if you get one. hahaha
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post

as i am sure you are less interested in the BC score, as the experiance and the memory...
    The note was for others, Vince. It doesn't disappoint me one bit. Well, not much anyhow...

Dont wait for winter, you'll miss LOTS of good hunting action.

Unit 23 has spring/summer/fall/winter Caribou hunting, and our Ox season starts the 1st of August, but they will be shot out by the end of teh month like last year.....which is why we just took down our camp and headed to our Salmon camp here on the Northern Seward pennensula, and the 50+ Ox to pick from around the rivers bend....or up the road from here at Deering or who knows.....
    The wife and I have seen plenty of them as weve been knocking off a boat load of Caribou, as we cruise the Sound these past two weeks, as the Caribou skins are perfect for tradtional clothing ($$)and teh meats been drying very well in this weather. No more room in the boat now
    Were off in the morning to Noorvik and pick a few of our kids and "get our Ox on" back here Saturday

The "REAL" trophy is the Fat natural meat, the skins make great rugs in the tent or sleeping bags,and I just toss the heads on the Muskox skull pile......

It aint just unit 23 that has excellent Winter hunting, thats for sure.
    Keep asking and looking, your bound to get all the hunting you want.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Sitka Black Tail season goes into December, if you can get someone in a plane or with a boat to take you to an island. Haul Road Bou season goes pretty late too if you are a certified bow hunter.