Thread: Here are all the details on how to mail frozen fish via usps

Default Here are all the details on how to mail frozen fish via usps

I've learned a lot the past few days; there are quite a large number of technicalities that one must follow to legally mail fish; this post contains what I've learned.

If you know better on any of these points please post a correction or maybe a mod can fix this post so we don't lead anyone astray. This is my best effort but I'm not an expert on this:

- Using a fish shipping box is probably a good idea, but not required. Flat rate boxes work but are small. Insulate the box best you can.
    - 5# max of Dry ice is allowed. insulate it from the frozen fish.
    - sport caught fish can be sent to anyone. subsistence caught fish can only be sent to immediate family members
    - Hit the last post of the day so it will fly out of ANC with the least sitting in ANC.
    - Required form from Fish and Game to transfer possession of fish: http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/regul...s/transfer.pdf
    - Required form for USPS: shipper's declaration form for dangerous goods must be done in triplicate with each signed; this shows contents, amounts, and packaging methods; here is that form: http://www.wvdhhr.org/labservices/sh...rous_goods.pdf The UN for Dry ice is 1845, for that form.
    - DOT Class 9 Miscellaneous Hazardous Warning Labels must be affixed to the box: here is one you can print: http://www.labelsmadeeasy.com/dbimag...mod=1201669200
    - Next to the DOT warning label you must list the contents of the box
    - You must plainly mark the box "Dry Ice, UN1845"
    - Priority shipping can be as fast as 2 days.
    - The shipping label can be made easily, along with officially validating the ship to address, along with estimating the ship time can be done really nicely using the USPS's free software "Shipping Assistant". Download that software here: http://www.usps.com/shippingassistant/instructions.htm Even if you guess the weight way wrong they'll update that when you drop it off at your local post office.

Gee, isn't that easy?
    Dear whatever doesn't kill me, I'm strong enough now. Thanks.

Default The rest of the story please....

What was the postage for your shipment(s) ?

Default USPS....really??

Hmmmm....
    First let me preface by saying that I work for FedEx. Next, let me say that I work closely with all the fish processors on the Kenai Peninsula, and a few here in Anchorage.
    All this to say that there are just so many things with this post I find troubling. There are soooo many new reg's concerning dry ice, that basically make pkgs sent using dry ice a 'hazardous material'. Which is also to say that any postal worker handling the pkg needs to be certified in hazmat to handle the pkg. If your typical postal carrier (that delivers to your destination) is not so certified...your package will sit in the post office until someone that is certified is able to deliver it.
    Also, 'can be as FAST as two days'......you really need to pack your fish well for it to last that long. If you don't use a styro lined box, well, kiss your fish good-bye. If you do use one, then you are most likely looking at over size charges.
    Also consider dimensional weighting (LxWXH divided by 194)....so in essence, if your box dims out at 45 lbs, but only has 30 lbs in it...you will still be charged for the 45lbs. All carriers use this formula.
    I cannot recommed enough the simplicity and peace of mind of going to someone locally that does this day in and day out, and letting them handle the shipping for you. There are many that will do so gladly. After all, what is the value of peace of mind to you?

Default Better yet...

Find someone who works air cargo for the discount like me ........ wait a minute, I work air cargo! Haha! 75% FexEx discount... can't beat that!

I've shipped frozen fish via USPS, but sans ice. I lined the box with 1 1/2" thick blue insulation board, and put ~5#'s of fillets in the box. It arrived 2 days after shipping and was still partially frozen.

I'd say so long as you have a decent sized block of frozen fish, say 10#'s and well insulate it, you'll have no problem shipping it sans dry ice.

Default How much?

Quote Originally Posted by y0gee View Post
    Find someone who works air cargo for the discount like me ........ wait a minute, I work air cargo! Haha! 75% FexEx discount... can't beat that!
    So, say I have a buddy working for air cargo and he were to FedEx a box of fish for me, about how much do you think my buddy would want for this service?

keep in mind also, things can happen with any carrier. I sent some smoked salmon to an aunt in Nebraska that I had wrapped frozen, no dry ice. (didn't need to really as I was sending it Express)...well, I don't hear from her, so I call three days later and the carrier had put it inside her back door (she lived in the country) without telling her. She didn't normally CHECK the back as they DID have a mailbox.

She actually did still eat it, and I guess it was ok...

Quote Originally Posted by akseakayaker View Post
    I cannot recommed enough the simplicity and peace of mind of going to someone locally that does this day in and day out, and letting them handle the shipping for you. There are many that will do so gladly. After all, what is the value of peace of mind to you?
    Could you add lots of details about how they'd do it? and what they'd charge? And ship time?

Default Be glad to...

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Could you add lots of details about how they'd do it? and what they'd charge? And ship time?
    But please, keep in mind, that I am NOT personally recommending any one business over another.

There are several places in town, that are set up to ship via FedEx. You take in YOUR fish, they will package it, and ship it for you. You can request Priority Overnight (delivery by 10:30 next day), Standard Overnight (delivery by 3:30 next day) or 2 Day (delivery by 5:30 on the second business day). NEVER send out fish on a Friday, btw, as it will sit all weekend, unless you send it out overnight and check Saturday delivery.

Almost ALL of the regular fish shippers are sending fish out in styro lined cardboard boxes. The same boxes you can purchase at Freddies or Carr's. They are also sending gel packs. Gel packs avg 1lb each, so keep that in mind on your total weight. As another poster indicated, if your fish is well frozen, the fish packets will help keep the other's cold as well. Also, if your fish arrives and has some 'surface thaw' - it is perfectly fine, as long as the center is still frozen. Just throw it back in the freezer, and it will be just fine.
    I can't say what these business will charge....they certainly do not charge any more than what you would pay to take it to the FedEx hub and ship yourself. Other than you don't have to worry about packaging it. I think they even provide the gel packs free of charge, but don't quote me. Also, at least with FedEx, it doesn't matter if you are sending to Seattle or Miami, the cost is the same. It is by poundage.

As an interesting side note; we are moving on AVERAGE, over 100,000 lbs of fish PER DAY out of the hub in Anchorage. FedEx does know the fish market. Not to mention, if it is properly labeled 'perishable', if for some reason downline the freight is late, other hubs have reefers and will place the perishable seafood in to store until they are moving through the sort again....I guarantee the USPS isn't doing that.

PM if you have any more questions!

Default Great Fedex info

That is some really great info, thanks!

The only question I would have is what is the cost? (Mods, delete this post if this isn't allowed).

There is more to the usps story I started but I'd rather wait until the book is closed on it before sharing that. I think you'll be interested in it; I'll post it here on this thread later this weekend or next week.

Quote Originally Posted by y0gee View Post
    So, does this mean that when it comes closer to Christmas and I want to send my brother in Idaho and my dad in WA some smoked salmon, I can hit you up??

Default AOD members only?

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    So, does this mean that when it comes closer to Christmas and I want to send my brother in Idaho and my dad in WA some smoked salmon, I can hit you up??
    Hey how about just for your AOD co-members? (notice the lack of a smilie here... I'm only serious.)

Default As for cost...

This is the LIST rate - base charge only. There is a fuel surcharge in addition.
    For Standard Overnight; 10lb box is $50; 15lb box is $60; 20lb box is $73; 25 lb box is $80.

No, it isn't 'cheap'...but as the old saying goes, "you get what you pay for".

Priority Overnight rates are a little higher, and we recommend shipping PO for perishable. One of those reasons being that if a delivery attempt is made by 10:30, and no one is around to receive, we still have time to reattempt the delivery that day. On a SO delivery, if no one is around, then we cannot reattempt, and the package will sit overnight.

USPS has express shipping and it is expensive but they guarantee 48 hour delivery or you get your shipping money back. We haved shipped meat and fish to relatives back on the east coast from Delta Jct and most of the time it makes it. on a fue occasions it hasent made 48 hours and we got our shipping money back but the boxes still got there and contents were not spoiled. we usually send in a well insulated cooler and fill the cooler so there is no or as little vacant space as you can with frozen fish or meat. If your not sending much use a small cooler.

Default akseakayaker is right

I was wrong to ship usps. Today I would choose fed X. (Though I will always think of that Tom Hanks movie... )