Thread: Loading 45-70 405 gr. lead bullets

Question Loading 45-70 405 gr. lead bullets

I'm new to reloading lead bullets...have loaded jacketed bullets for years. I going to load 405 gr. lead bullets (Dad gave me some 405 gr. "Colorado Cast bullets" made in Montrose, CO) in my Marlin 1895SS 45-70. My question is what diameter do you use, the ones he gave me are .458. I have seen some articles that say use the .459 or .460 diameter bullets?? I need a bit of help....thanks
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Tip View Post
    I'm new to reloading lead bullets...have loaded jacketed bullets for years. I going to load 405 gr. lead bullets (Dad gave me some 405 gr. "Colorado Cast bullets" made in Montrose, CO) in my Marlin 1895SS 45-70. My question is what diameter do you use, the ones he gave me are .458. I have seen some articles that say use the .459 or .460 diameter bullets?? I need a bit of help....thanks
    Talk about a blast from the past! Unless CCB is a new entity, what you have in those bullets is a piece of history from the roots of the Barnes Bullet company. Don't know if there's any collector interest if they're the originals, but you can get a glimpse of their origin here. There are more comments in the history section at the Barnes site. If they're still a viable company in Montrose today, I'll be looking them up. I spend time in that area each year.

Oh, you had a question...

I'd slug the bore to be sure, but my goal is to have cast bullets around .001 larger than bore. If your Marlin is .457, you're likely to be just fine. If those bullets are in fact old, odds are that the alloy is Lyman #2 or something similar rather than hardcast. Loads in the Lyman cast bullet manual should be fine, even if they are the softer #2 alloy rather than something harder.

Also believe you have some classics on your hands

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Talk about a blast from the past! Unless CCB is a new entity, what you have in those bullets is a piece of history from the roots of the Barnes Bullet company. Don't know if there's any collector interest if they're the originals, but you can get a glimpse of their origin here. There are more comments in the history section at the Barnes site. If they're still a viable company in Montrose today, I'll be looking them up. I spend time in that area each year.

Oh, you had a question...

I'd slug the bore to be sure, but my goal is to have cast bullets around .001 larger than bore. If your Marlin is .457, you're likely to be just fine. If those bullets are in fact old, odds are that the alloy is Lyman #2 or something similar rather than hardcast. Loads in the Lyman cast bullet manual should be fine, even if they are the softer #2 alloy rather than something harder.
    BROWN BEAR:

Maybe I'll just keep these and buy some other cast bullets...like Laser Cast??
    I'll do some checking and keep you up to date on the Colorado Bullet Company

Silver Tip
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

Also check out www.beartoothbullets.com There are some very good articles on proper fit of cast boolits and what to expect. Another good idea is get his book- it is $15 to include shipping and is a very good book. It will break down HOW to slug your barrel, his thoughts on cast boolits etc.....

I was loading a lot of cast loads for my .44mag SBH and I didnt know why I was getting mediocre accuracy and terrible leading. Makes a lot more sense now.