Thread: Planning on fishing trip - looking for advice

Default Planning on fishing trip - looking for advice

A month from now my father and I will be heading up to Anchorage for a week. This will be our first time in the area. We plan on renting a vehicle and driving throughout the southern and interior portions of the state (wherever there are roads). This may sound rather vague considering the amount of choices on where to fish, but where might there be some good / great fishing spots?

At least on one of our days there we plan on hiring a guide to do some bay fishing, but on others we plan on driving to streams, rivers, and lakes.
    Looking at Google maps there are so many choices but with our days limited we want to make sure to get the best out of it.

Were looking for places where we can drive up to, park, then hike to a few close by spots.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tony

Not being blunt, but take a few hours and browse through the postings here.

Go back one year to the time frame you plan to visit. See where, what, and how folks are doing in late August and early Sept. last year.

With the info you have gained, you should be able to ask a few more direct questions.

I'll be up Aug 25th, camping in Valdez, catching Silvers..

good luck

Tony - Good on you for planning this far in advance. One of the best things you can do is check in here daily in the weeks leading up to your trip. You'll start to learn the names of local streams and will get a feel for what is going to be good when you get here.

Another thing I would suggest is to buy The Highway Angler. This book will cover almost every reasonable fishing opportunity along the road system. It's well worth the purchase price and you'll use it frequently in your travels.

k7grc: thanks. There's just so many posts on this forum.. I am reading through a bunch as I type this.

Brian M: Awesome, thanks! This was just what I was looking for