Thread: Sourdough

Default Sourdough

I just received some sourdough and was told it has been around for many decades.

What is the best method for feeding, maintaining and using the sourdough?

I sure don't want to kill the stuff.

BTT

No one uses sourdough starter?

My uncle had a batch he got from his girlfriend or ex-girlfriend I should say. I will ask him if he knows of how to care for it and get back to you.

Thanks......

Default quick tips

Kingfisher,

Keep it in a glass or crockery jar with a loose fitting lid or cloth so it can get some air. Its recommended to not use utensils made of metal. with respect for tradition, wooden spoons should be used. Feed it every couple three days with equal parts flour and water and stir it a little bit. I keep a quart container going by feeding it with 1/2 cup water and flour every three days or so. Sometimes I may go a full week before I feed it and it keeps going. Of course, if you keep feeding it and never use any of it, you will have a bunch of starter. You can dry some of it and keep it as a back-up in case your main batch goes bad or you accidently kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaldust View Post
    Kingfisher,

Keep it in a glass or crockery jar with a loose fitting lid or cloth so it can get some air. Its recommended to not use utensils made of metal. with respect for tradition, wooden spoons should be used. Feed it every couple three days with equal parts flour and water and stir it a little bit. I keep a quart container going by feeding it with 1/2 cup water and flour every three days or so. Sometimes I may go a full week before I feed it and it keeps going. Of course, if you keep feeding it and never use any of it, you will have a bunch of starter. You can dry some of it and keep it as a back-up in case your main batch goes bad or you accidently kill it.
    Thanks for the info.

Dry it how?

Default Sourdough

Its not possible to actually dry things out in K-town, but give this a try..... with the sourdough starter a little on the runny side, pour it out on wax paper or on the shiny side of some butcher wrap and let it sit on the counter for 4 of 5 days and it should be dry and brittle enough to store in a tupperware container or the like. I don't seal it up all the way, but like to keep air to it in case the enzymes need it.

To bring it back to life, I crush or grind the dried sourdough starter chips into something that resembles ground coffee and mix with enough water to create a thick dough, (about one cup total) place it in a warm spot, and wait for it to bubble in day or two and feed it equal parts water and flour during that time. Sometimes, it doesn't come back to life, but most times it does. I've had the dry stuff come back to life after storing it for a year like that. For gifts around the holidays, drying it is a good way to mail it to friends.

Thanks Coal, if you're not eating it do just toss some out and keep on feeding it?

Do you let it sit out for awhile while you're feeding it or put it in the fridge?

Default Care and feeding

Yea, if I don't cook with it and end up with too much in my sourdough pot, I'll take some over to my neighbor or pour it out on wax paper and dry some of it. That usually doesn't happen because I almost always make biscuits or pancakes on the weekend. You know, some folks like to keep it refrigerated because it will slow down the process and keep longer without feeding it. I don't do that because if I want to use it I have to remember to take it out of the refrigerator and let it warm up and feed it. I just keep it on the counter and it does fine. If I really want the starter bubbling, such as for making bread, I have a little shelf by the wood stove that I set it on that warms it up good.

You can also spread some of the tradition by breaking some off and sending it to friends (in the valley) and family.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Huntress,

I'll give you some of mine. Equal parts potato water and flour. mix together and set in a warm spot. Use glass or crockery, the acids in the sourdough may react with metal. I don't use mine alot, so I keep it in the refrigerator in a tufferware container. If you use it regular a crock with cloth or loose lid works great.

Sourdough Pancakes

The night before mix
    2C flour
    2C milk
    Starter

I put it in a large bowl and set it on the furnace overnight, or by the wood stove. (anywhere warm) It will get light and bubbly and smell divine.

The next morning-
    GET STARTER OUT - ABOUT 1C

Next fold in 2 whole eggs- beaten (beat the eggs first)
    In aabout 2 tsp water mix-

2 TBL sugar
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1 1/2 tsp soda
    (do not forget the soda-you'll get a taste treat you will NEVER forget. HA)

Fold this into the mixture, gently
    Let it stand for about 5 min then dip carefully with a spoon and fry.
    --Resist the urge to beat the batter--

I've been doing it this way for 30 yrs, and it's just a little piece of heaven.

Enjoy,

Michael

Michael,

Thank you so much! I'm going to start a batch tomorrow and see how it progresses for the two weeks hubby is gone And once my cook is home I can enjoy all those sourdough goodies!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Hi huntress,

good luck, you'll enjoy. I just put my donut recipe on another thread. (make them when your home alone) HA the donuts can be done in 1 hr start to finish. really good while camping.

Michael

How do yo know if you have killed the starter?

George

Smell it, taste it or make a batter, add the baking powder and salt and see if it bubbles up.

I have 2 pints of extra starter... anyone want some?

George,
    The hooch on top of your starter should be either light brown or a gray in color. The smell will be more than sour.. it will be rancid! You will definitely know if you have killed your starter.
    * when feeding your starter remember to wash and sterilize the container it is in*
    Best of luck
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by baitem907 View Post
    I have 2 pints of extra starter... anyone want some?

Best of luck
    I do I do PM inbound
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

mntransplant, PM sent
    I will have some more next week for anybody that would like some
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163