Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: want my jet to get on step faster

Default want my jet to get on step faster

Just asking if anyone has any connections on getting my 16ft g-3 with a 40horse yama go get on step faster. I had a internet connection but lost it. they adveritsed wings for the outboard jet motor to help get on step faster with heavy loads. any help would be appreciated! thanks ahead of time.

Default I tried

wings on my 16 foot alweld with 50 jet. They didnt work well. They cost me speed and made it spray a lot. They work great on my wooldrige and I wouldnt be without them.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Unless we are talking about something different...

I have "wings" on my jet foot. I don't know if they actually helped at all...Maybe in the corners it directs the water better.

I know that when you go shallow occasionally they will skip the bottom and stir up the gravel to get sucked up the pump. In my opinion if your not doing fast "hole" shots and getting up on step quickly with what you got, you probably never will.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Default First thing, do

you have a 40 hp engine or is the jet rated for 40 hp? If it is a 40 hp engine, you don't have enough power there. I run a 40 hp yamaha with a prop on a 16 foot boat and wouldn't want anything of less power. If that is a jet, you are running at 30 hp which isn't going to get it done. Wings work AWESOME with a prop. I could/can run in water where others would mud out or weed out and I would be up on step.

I have a 16' G3 with a 15 prop that woks great. Horsepower isn't your problem. That's assuming your motor is properly installed and the jet properly adjusted. To get on step better usually is a trim issue. If you have fixed trim you'll have to settle on a compromise that balances getting on step with efficient planing while on the step. Load distribution will affect it, too. Take a friend out and try having him change seating positions and see what it does. Maybe adjust the trim, too. Every boat's a little different so you'll need to find your boat's sweet spot.

Correction. My G3 with the 15 prop is an 18'.

Default First things first

Before I started looking at add ons, I'd make sure the basics are covered. Did you pull the impellor and inspect it and the liner? Did you inspect the outlet/exhaust to be sure nothing is hung up? Did you shim the impeller as close as you could to the liner when you re-installed it? Do you have the correct impellor/sleeve combination? I am not assuming anything here, just asking to be sure we are all starting off with the same info.
    A 30hp prop is plenty of motor to get a 16' boat up and planing quickly. We run them all the time moose hunting with up to 3 guys and some gear in the boat. My son uses a 16' w/a 25hp Merc prop. He has had 4 guys and part of a moose in the boat on step. A 40/28hp jet should do the trick nicely if everything is set up correctly.
    Northway is a monster of a man. I'm not sure a 100hp on that skiff would be enough for him!

Default sorry guys maybe I misunderstood,

but I am into more horses! I am sure the motor will get it up on step, but it isn't going to happen fast! I re-read and that seems to be the question. Props seem to have a bit more thrust to "jump" up much quicker than a jet. Yes the jet will get up on step, but it isn't going to happen quickly.

I have a 175 horse engine now with the inboard jet and it jumps up on step just fine!

I have never heard of wings on a jet. I had hyrdro-foil wings on the 40 yamaha with a prop and I could have that boat on step faster than any other boat around here and could consistently get the prop into places that others couldn't without "poling". Thus, the duck hunting was "always" better since I was the only one getting there!

I had an entire moose, and and 5 people on board with the 40 horse and got on step and home. It was about the limit that is for sure. The jet is just a dog without the extra horses.

northway, there's nothing wrong with big horsepower on some boats, but the G3 is a light hull. I have a 14 footer that I can pick up and carry by myself. Even the 18 with motor attached is simple for one guy to move around on dry land. (There's one reason I like the 15 prop!)

Foot wings are angled extensions welded to the bottom of the outboard jet's foot that form an intake box below the grate. I believe Glen Wooldridge was the originator and he added them when he started putting tunnels in his hulls to help eliminate the intake from sucking air. It worked great compared to no tunnel/no foot wings.

Default Mr. Pid

Thanks for the information. I didn't know the boats were that light. I ran a 16' Lowe flat bottom. It wasn't the the lightest boat, but wasn't the heaviest either. I may have to look into one of those boats!

I've got a SeaArk 1652 with a 50/35 jet. With 2 people and gear it is ok. What you really need to do is make sure that the boat is sits level at rest and not bow up. So long as the weight is distributed properly you won't get slow to plane high bow rise. When running by myself I have had problems in the past but with 2 or 3 people this went away. I solved this by moving the battery and tank to the front. I also bought and installed flotation pods on the stern so now the boat sits level when just myself.

Sobie2

Talking

Getting on step faster... have you considered a RATO unit?

(j/k, but I had to ask )
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Huh?

RATO? or "JATO" like the ones the old Boxcars used. I think they were C-118?
    Ok JOAT, teach me something new, I'll bite.

You're thinking right... Rocket Assisted Take Off. Not to be confused with Jet Assisted Take Off. Similar, but very different. I figure if you light the fuse on a solid fuel rocket pack, you'll either get on step quickly or everything won't really matter any more.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default whole shot

There is a guiding service out here that runs the set-up you are talking about and they havn't mentioned any problems...but I do know that they are properly set-up (don't take that the wrong way). Ensure your foot is at the correct level, shimmed correctly, etc, etc. (and no offense, but I have seen it, make sure your foot is facing the correct direction...). The wings do help on smooth / mostly smooth water, they are not welded on, rather a bolt kit replaces the grate retention pins. I tend to bend mine up when I slide through shallow corners, this flattens them and actually hinders performance. One of the best things you can do is install a hull extension plate. Mine runs from the tunnel to just in front of the foot, others with flat bottoms (no tunnel) just extend the bottom of the hull with a flat plate. This allows the foot to take in "cleaner" (more laminar / less turbulent) water, reducing the tendency to cavitate. I think OBJ sells an adapter that attaches a plate to their transom lift so that there are no new holes to punch in your transom. The next performance enhancing substance is a stainless steel impeller. They are 4 bladed and a slightly lower pitch, which, while it will lower top speed (this is in the lower HP motors for those of you with high dispalcement engines) the stainless impeller will increase your holeshot.

So to sum it up...
    ensure correct set-up
    hull / tunnel extension
    stainless impeller

"Gun control is a proven failure in fighting crime. Law abiding citizens should not be asked to give up their rights because of criminals."
    -John McCain

Careful with the stainless impeller recommendation. I had one on a 200 Merc and it was great. I tried one on a 40 Suzuki and it was horrible. I have one now for a 50 2-stroke Yamaha and it came off after about an hour because it was a poor performer at the top end. Aluminum works much better on my old 40 and my current 50.

Default you are not the only one...

...that I have heard this from. The stainless is the only way to go with high HP. On low HP's, top end suffers, though holeshot is supposed to be better. Definitely a plus from the durability standpoint on either, however... Personally I have not made the jump to stainless (60/40 Merc 4s). I do, however, wish they made the Nyliner for the 6-7/8" pump.

"Gun control is a proven failure in fighting crime. Law abiding citizens should not be asked to give up their rights because of criminals."
    -John McCain

Default Wings?

When you are talking about wings are you talking:

1. http://www.jetdoctor.net/products/im...?productID=497

or

2. http://www.sschapterpsa.com/rambling...ke%20Skirt.JPG

I have a 2006 17' Wooldridge Alaskan with a 2006 Suzuki 115/80 Jet with the wings/skirt in picture #2. They hit the gravel all the time and I end up with rocks in my grate or caught in my exhaust. Mine came welded on and I have had to repair them each year (I run the Deshka River).

I have always wondered it the Whale's Tail in picture #1 or something simular would work better. I myself would like the ass end of my boat to ride a little higher out of the water. Anytime I hit it is the motor (foot) that hits. Only time the hull hits is when I run out of useable water.

Quote Originally Posted by Fwilkin View Post
    Just asking if anyone has any connections on getting my 16ft g-3 with a 40horse yama go get on step faster. I had a internet connection but lost it. they adveritsed wings for the outboard jet motor to help get on step faster with heavy loads. any help would be appreciated! thanks ahead of time.

Quote Originally Posted by AkGrumpy View Post
    When you are talking about wings are you talking:

1. http://www.jetdoctor.net/products/im...?productID=497

or

2. http://www.sschapterpsa.com/rambling...ke%20Skirt.JPG

I have a 2006 17' Wooldridge Alaskan with a 2006 Suzuki 115/80 Jet with the wings/skirt in picture #2. They hit the gravel all the time and I end up with rocks in my grate or caught in my exhaust. Mine came welded on and I have had to repair them each year (I run the Deshka River).

I have always wondered it the Whale's Tail in picture #1 or something simular would work better. I myself would like the ass end of my boat to ride a little higher out of the water. Anytime I hit it is the motor (foot) that hits. Only time the hull hits is when I run out of useable water.

I'd like see the actual difference with and without the whales tail. Never seen such a thing before.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Pick up a set of Nauticus Smart Tabs (automatic trim tabs) They help get you on plane at a lower speed and get you on plane faster.
    Plus they do a much better job than those whale tail wing things.

http://www.nauticusinc.com/smart_tabsSX.htm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast