Thread: What to do when Summer Sucks.

Default What to do when Summer Sucks.

When the withdrawl symptoms start to hit. Here is my solution to keeping winter bug at bay somewhat. This in my new little project I picked up this spring. Somehow I managed to find not 1 but 2 1980 Kawaski Drifter 340 F/A sleds on craigslist in the same week, which also happens to be the same model as my first sled I rode when I was a kid. Boy these bring back a few good memories.

If anyone else is restoring an oldy I would love to see some pics and details on your progress. Or any tips on were to find parts, etc. This is my first restoration project so any advice would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dennis Kirk.com has alot of parts for the older sleds. Visit snowest.com if you arre not already a memeber on there. There is a "vintage" catagory in the forums and there is alot of knowledge to be had there.

I believe those motors are Yamaha motors too. the 340 and the 440 are both yamaha ss motors. My first sled was a kawasaki sno jet (baby blue n white). the thing had a power block clutch and was my woods bomber. those were the days i gathered parts from a 100 mile radius of countryside and practially built the thing from scratch in the cellar. Ill never forget when the thing came to life.........right up the cellar stairs.....into a world of endless snow.

I have a 1977 Kawasaki sno jet, and parts are hard to find, but I keep my eye on ebay and have managed to pick up most everything, still looking for a few items.

Those 2 sleds look to be in pretty good shape from the pictures. Have fun with them.

One runs great and just needs a few small things that I have already found and a little fresh paint it will be ready to go this winter. The other will take a little more work, I think it just needs a new CDI to get it going. I plan on fixing it up eventually but for now it is just a parts sled.