Thread: July Grand Finale - 5-day Fishing Report

Default July Grand Finale - 5-day Fishing Report

With my wife and daughter out of town, and two weeks home from the Slope, I figured I better fish hard and fill both freezers. Here's the skinny on the previous five days for me:

July 23 - Morning salmon trip out of Seward. Battled some serious weather to make it to Cheval narrows. Limits around on silvers, wide variety of size from 4-11 pounds, with only one pink in there. Nobody made it offshore.

July 24 - Rushed to the Kenai for a king trip. Chocolate milk and floating trees spelled d-o-l-d-r-u-m-s on the river for us and every other boat we saw. Great fishing, no catching.

July 25 - Back to Seward to meet up with five other pals for the final white meat trip: lings and halibut. A timely break in the weather allowed a run to Montague. Halibut cooperated in the shallows with about six fish between 40 and 60 lbs, and chickens to finish the limits. Tried a drift for lings, but with 20knt+ winds, couldn't keep 24 ouncers on the bottom, so opted to switch to silvers. Captain Woody took us to their hot spot and got 18 nice fish all 8-10 pounds in about 20 minutes....ok, maybe 25 minutes, but it was FAST and FURIOUS and FUN.

July 26 - Back to the Kenai where a friend had offered to take us out on his boat to dipnet. Two nets, 47 reds, 1 pink, a dozen or so starry flounder, and one small dolly in about 7 hours.

July 27 - Still on the Kenai, dipping from shore, southside. Nice run of fish on the outgoing around 10-noon. Two nets got 27 fish, mostly all 7-10 pounders, no pinks. Called it a day at noon to fillet and get back to Anchorage at a reasonable hour.

July 28 - Processing fish, creatively making room in the freezer, prepping to smoke sockeye tomorrow, refusing to look at my credit card balance, recovering, and about to fix a smoked salmon omelet for breakfast.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Aberdeen WA

Nice job!

My brothers fished the big push of reds y'day in tidewater.

It was insanely good flippin'.

Good way to end their week on the river.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone."
    The KeenEye MD