Thread: Making a bow quieter

Default Making a bow quieter

What do you use to make a bow less noisy? What add ons have you found that seem to work better than other items?
    I shoot a Hoyt w/ split limbs. I have the Simms Limbsavers bolted on, and rubber spiders on the string. I have not tried anything else. Just wondering if any of you have done any extensive studies on the subject?
    Anybody have a dosimeter to use to measure noise with? That would be pretty darn scientific, and would give a quantitative objective analysis vs. a qualitative subjetive one.
    Or, do you think your bow is quiet enough that there is no need to try and make it quieter?

It might help if you get rid of it and get a bowtech

I dont think it will matter to much, sounds to me like you done enough to quiet it down. I got a buddy who shoots an old PSE, i cant remeber what model it is but i think its the PSE deer hunter. Its a pretty loud bow and he didnt have any problems spooking animals with it this past weekend when we were small game hunting. I dont think that bow noise matters as much in Alaska, maybe if you were hunting white tails in the lower 48s.

Smile

River Rat,
    I shoot a BT Guardian and it is naturally quiet(subjective), without addition of noise suppression hardware.

It would be good to measure noise, so that you have an objective opinion. I don't know where you could rent or buy a noise measuring stick. If there are any industrial safety folks on the forum, they may be able to weigh in on this.

I think adding noise supression hardware, you may give up some FPS. On the other hand, how much does noise matter after the release? The closer you are to the animal, the less time it will have to react.

I don't use anything and the three animals I have shot didn't seem to care. It's not like we are hunting spring loaded whitetails up here.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

This should be a given, but tuning your bow will help alot.

Brett

Heavier arrows and silenecer placement (harmonics, 1/3rd and 1/4 intervals), works very well! Heavier slower arrows in general will make most bows whisper quiet!!! Less wasted energy after the arrow is gone then a lighter one. You can find a decimeter pretty easily, pro music should have one, and they might even let you borrow it!

My bow is quiet enough. I am not concerned about noise myself. I seem to see manufacturers focus on sales points, noise being one of them.
    Yes, no matter how quiet your bow is, the arrow gets to its target after the noise. Just trying to see what you guys are doing, and how in depth you went to get there.
    I am a Safety Guy. I wish I had a docimeter. Would be way cool for several projects (not work related mind you). I know several IH types that might have it, but they are stingy. Typically. OUCH! Hope my best buddy at WW is not reading this!
    Might be good for grins and giggles to get a docimeter and have a fun shoot at the house just to measure. Would be a reason to get together just to see.
    Several of you are right in that a good tuned bow and heavier arrows both help. And both items directly affect downrange performance, especially when hunting.

Default Try...

A STS might help things considerably, also if you have any form issues (getting kissed by the string on the forearm) it will also help that, also no need for a arm guard during season to keep the jacket sleeves out of the way.
    WVBOWAK

Default what is it

What is an STS? Save me the time to google it, will ya?

String Tamer System, or something like that. I put one on my backup bow and it worked wonders.

Also, Catwhiskers seem to take alot of sound out that others don't.

Taylor

-[]------->

Default biggest bang for my buck..

After heavy arrows (560 grains) and proper tuning was the 5" or 6" doinker stabilizer I added.

Then came spider legs of the bowtech hush kit on the limbs (the only thing I've been able to keep on the limbs) then the rest of the hush kit

Honestly, after testing everything on it's own and in different combinations, the best reduction in vibration and noise came from the stabilizer. All of the hush kit together didn't do as much as the Doinker alone.

Didn't lose any speed from the spiders on the string (verified by chrono) so I left them on. Hey, it can't hurt...

I shoot a frankenstein'd Bowtech Pro 38. Put black knight cams on it and hard deflection limbs. 74-84lb d/w Had I waited a couple of years, they'd have caught up with me (Pro 40 dually). Should get with the times and jump into the 101st, but money keeps me from it. Nuthin wrong with the ol' girl so I think I'll keep her.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I have the QUIETEST bow ever made.......

all it took was a six inch log screw

to hang it on
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Excellent Solution Vince!

I admire your wit. Well Done!

Default Goof

Very nice Vince. Very nice indeed. So why don't you take it off of that screw and make some noise with it. Man, I am still chuckling.

In the long run, noise is not something I personally focus on. Sure, I got a few doo dads hanging on her. Wonder what she'd shoot like without them? Bigger deal for me is vibration and hand shock. That little Hoyt just sits there nice and hardly wiggles after the shot.
    Interesting though hearing what is new on the market and what guys are doing to moderate noise.

Default too funny

but sad to say, that's exactly where both of mine have been hanging for way too long....

neck and shoulder problems from a work incident years ago finally caught up with me ... hafta sit this year out while I'm waiting to get humpty dumpty put back together again...

Pretty good article:
    http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/pub...ow_Noise.shtml

Excerpt: "A lot of people have noticed that a stabilizer on one bow may do a good job while on another bow it may actually increase noise. That is because the vibrations are different frequencies on the 2 bows. Some companies actually try to isolate the different vibration frequencies and add a material that absorbs those vibrations. Most just add material and see what happens. Plus you have added accessories to your bow that may vibrate or absorb vibrations. Therefore every bow set up is different.

my new one is th quites bow i have ever shot it has 3 string stops, 3 monkey tails, a string grub, and two harmonic dampeners.

On all my bows I use cat whiskers, best string silencers in my opinion. I also use a aftermarket string stop, the "Bow Rattler", works great in quieting down my bow. Limbsaver quad silencers on my limbs and a sims stabilizer. And heavy arrows will make your bow quieter, I shoot around 470gr. soon to be 550-570gr. Silent.