Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knee Pain Help

Default Knee Pain Help

The last few hikes, I get this Sharp pain on the left or right side of the knee cap after a few hours of hiking? It usually comes on the down hill. Have you expericned this and do you take anything for it? Just thought i'd get some advice befor i go have it looked at. I'm 30, male, pretty good health. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunta View Post
    The last few hikes, I get this Sharp pain on the left or right side of the knee cap after a few hours of hiking? It usually comes on the down hill. Have you expericned this and do you take anything for it? Just thought i'd get some advice befor i go have it looked at. I'm 30, male, pretty good health. Thanks
    I think that you should go ahead and have this looked at.

Do you think that it's associated with your joints, muscles, or the bone itself? I think that you should find this out soon.

If it's muscles, what I would say is maybe you should work on your hams and quads and build up your muscles to support your knee while you hike.

My suggestion is that if you don't have this happen until you are on the mountain coming down hill and most times it's unexpected, bring some athletic tape with you and make a diamond around the knee helping it with support. Kind of like this
    /\
    \/
    around the knee cap itself with the athletic tape and then x it in the back of the knee. This will help keep it in place until you are able to get to a place where you can either get back to the trailhead or back to your vehicle.

Let us know what your observation is or what you find out if you decide to go in.

Always,
    COtoAK
    Lurker.

I would go ahead and get it looked at. I have been going to Ak Healing arts for quite some time, they do good work but I still have knee pain, even after getting an MRI done.

Not really sure what the problem with my knee is, but if I am doing anything on my knee, and rotate the cap inward, an absolutely horrendous burning pain sets in. I can even lean my knee up against something, roll the cap and it starts.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    I would go ahead and get it looked at. I have been going to Ak Healing arts for quite some time, they do good work but I still have knee pain, even after getting an MRI done.

Not really sure what the problem with my knee is, but if I am doing anything on my knee, and rotate the cap inward, an absolutely horrendous burning pain sets in. I can even lean my knee up against something, roll the cap and it starts.
    I agree with this.
    Knee issues is something that you don't want to miss as an oversight.
    Only because you have 2 doesn't mean that you have 1 to sacrifice, you know.
    Lurker.

Fact of life: hiking hurts I used to have a problem a lot like this after doing Resurrection Pass in 24 hours in low-tops and full pack. Sometimes I wouldn't be able to bend my knee for hours until the inflammation went down. I avoid stuff like that now by taking it easy, wearing better boots, and paying attention to foot placement.

Smile

Thanks for the advice, 30 is that wierd age. You know your not old, but you defiantly know your not 20 anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Hunta View Post
    Thanks for the advice, 30 is that wierd age. You know your not old, but you defiantly know your not 20 anymore

SHhhhhhh! Geesh... that sounds horrible for those of us that are in our 20s!
    Lurker.

I'm 28 and Ive had knee pain for the years. Never had an overly strenuous lifestlye, played hockey as a kid..just hunt and fish and carried out a dozen animals. At 6'4 I can' take any risks, gettin hurt is much easier - I believe in taking it easy, relaxing and drinking lots of beer

I will say that if you do see someone...I wouldnt get too far into therapy or massage...It may take a few months of adjustments and massage therapy, but don't let anyone guide you away from an MRI. I did one, found absolutely nothing...but I still feel the pain. Basically, some places are highway robbery..keep coming in and eventually it will get better.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Get Medical Attn.

Sounds exactly like my knee problem age 29. I went ahead to my doctor and they told me don't worry about it, its nothing more than a pain goahead and take it easy and just take Motrin. I said ahh no there is something wrong here and I faught to get an x-ray. Results were there was two stress fractures and they referred me to get an MRI. This came back even scarier Wow sid the doc. There was a huge lump in my upper tibia and more detail of the fractures. Then I was reffered to a bone scan w/ contrast. Many tests and Biopsys later turns out I have a weird strain of lymphoma gorwing in my top tibia but, the result from exapansion is pain over my whole knee area. Three shots of chemo later and a few weeks left of radiation and hopefully this will all be behind me. The pain is gone not sure I will ever run again as I loved too but, whatever I will live on it looks like. This is not inteneded to scare you but, the point here is get it looked at and the quicker you can be pain free enjoying life as it is meant to be. Cheers to your health getting better.

Stop trying to keep up with your younger hiking/hunting partner...

Knee pain can mean a lot of things. It can be something simple as a bad fitting shoe, or as serious as a previous responders said with his Lymphoma. You are never wrong getting it looked at, but understand not all medical providers are created equal when it comes to knees. Once examined you can make a better decision on what to do.

Let's say for arguement sake that it is simply age related. Good fitting shoes, tied properly is your first step (pun intended). Next, going down hill puts the most stress on your knee increasing the pressure to the top of the tibia a staggering amount. By adding trekking poles to your hiking you will always have 2 or 3 points of contact with the ground instead of one (your down foot), thus reducing the stress on your knees. I had an Orthopod suggest this to me, thought he was nuts, but tried it anyway...now I take them everywhere and love them Keeping your quads strong can not be over stated...they are the key to healthy knees.

Have fun and keep on trekking.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Default Anterior Knee pain

I can't claim to be an expert hiker but I am an expert at treating knee pain. Your symptoms of anterior knee pain with descending hills is consistent with a problem involving the patellar extensor mechanism or degeneration of the anterior horn of the meniscus. Neither are very serious but both require specific modifications to your activity and a trial of tissue specific exercise or treatment.
    Considering your age and lack of any trauma the best course is to seek care from a competent medical provider. However, I would not recommend pursuing any advanced imaging or testing since a clinical exam is usually far more superior and much less costly. If your history has no red flags then a consistent course of conservative treatment should always be the first option prior to seeking testing that may simply muddle the clinical picture of your condition. Wish you a speedy recovery
    Keith

I have the same problem with my left knee. It usually flares up if I carry my 7 year old too long on my shoulders. Seems to be related to weight of what I am carrying in combination with a steep downhill. I have found that I either need to wrap it tight at the first feeling of slight discomfort, or run down the mountain and keep light on the feet.

If you get it checked out, let us know what's up and the treatment.

-hiker

I get sore when hiking downhill, the steeper the hill and longer the hike the worse it is. The best way to minimize this is to make sure your leg is as straight as comfortable when your foot hits as you step down. When your leg is bent and you step down it applies your body momentum as forward pressure to the knee joint, if your leg is straighter the pressure is applied downward, the way your knee is designed to take pressure. Remember to keep your leg as straight as you can without jarring your back when going downhill and your knees will thank you for it.

rub several fresh raw onions and garlic cloves on it, that should keep them pesky girls away.
    Semper Fi!

Default Knee pain

Another way to alleviate knee pain, especially when hiking downhill and/or carrying weight is to use hiking sticks. After two knee surgeries and many miles of wear, I wish I had started using them years ago. You can take a lot of the weight and stress off your joints by using the sticks- you can also use them to fend off charging bears and rampaging moose! Happy hiking.

Thanks ANCguy, I went up Lazy Mt. the other day, and the only reason i made it back down was the walking sticks you recommended. Going up was great, coming down was painfull. I'm going to be seen on monday.
    V/R..Kev

Let us know what you find. I'd take the hiking poles and keep take it easy on the knee for several months.

If the pain comes from the outside of your knees and works down then it could be illitobial band syndrome. I have this from running to many miles. A lot of knee problems are easily fixed with just wearing support straps!! Definatly get it checked out.

Hunta... follow up. We are all curious. Have you taken any advice? Have you moved forward to see what the issue might be?
    We are all looking forward to your response.
    Lurker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast