Thread: Fortunate to have his .41

Default Fortunate to have his .41

I don't know any of the details...only the following:

Jul 27 2009 6:11AM
    Associated Press
    Eds: APNewsNow.

CODY, Wyo. (AP) The northern Wyoming man who killed a grizzly bear with a handgun as it attacked him earlier this month is a former Baltimore police officer trained to respond to difficult and violent situations, fellow officers say.

The Cody Enterprise newspaper reports that retired police officer Jerry Ruth of Clark, Wyo., suffered a broken jaw, crushed larynx and multiple bite wounds in the July 19 attack. Ruth killed the sow grizzly with a .41-caliber handgun after it surprised him on a hike near his home.

Fellow officers tell the newspaper that Ruth retired from the Baltimore County Police Department last year after a 30-year career.

The Wyoming Game and Fish Department is sending the grizzly's three cubs to the Memphis Zoo.

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.) APNP 07-27-09 0600CDT

Would like to hear more of the story. Did he draw and shoot as the bear was on him or shoot durning the charge and she took time to die ect.Glad he made it and yes he is lucky.

Default A little more info

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Would like to hear more of the story. Did he draw and shoot as the bear was on him or shoot durning the charge and she took time to die ect.Glad he made it and yes he is lucky.
    I found a little more info on the Cody Enterprise website (http://www.codyenterprise.com/articl...c389718223.txt)

"Retired police officer Jerry Ruth of Clark remains hospitalized after a grizzly bear attack July 19.

Friend Rob Cook of Clark said Ruth is stable and suffered broken ribs, a broken jaw, crushed larynx and multiple bite wounds to his face, back, leg and side.

After a tracheotomy, he is communicating via notes, wife Cindy Ruth said from the hospital.

ďHis eyes are both fine,Ē Cook said. ďHe seems to be in good spirits.Ē

He never saw the bear until it attacked him, Cindy Ruth told Cook. She said she will wait to provide more details until Jerry Ruth can tell his own story."

The article says he fired after the attack but it was not real clear if the bear was on him or not. I have considered using a lanyard for my revolver in the event of an attack should the gun be seperated from my reach. Perhaps a second chance to gain control in the event it is knocked out of my hand. I used a pretty good one the Army issued me while deployed. It was the kind that had the consecutive coil like our old telephone cords connecting the reciever to the phone. If he had lost the .41 in the fight he might not be alive now. I hope we can get more details.

Quote Originally Posted by Armymark View Post
    The article says he fired after the attack but it was not real clear if the bear was on him or not. I have considered using a lanyard for my revolver in the event of an attack should the gun be seperated from my reach. Perhaps a second chance to gain control in the event it is knocked out of my hand. I used a pretty good one the Army issued me while deployed. It was the kind that had the consecutive coil like our old telephone cords connecting the reciever to the phone. If he had lost the .41 in the fight he might not be alive now. I hope we can get more details.
    Good idea, but with the speed that these things happen, do you think you would have enough time to "get a second chance"? It alsmost seems like you've only got one chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Armymark View Post
    I use a lanyard when sleeping in a tent so I would (maybe) have some chance to find my gun in the dark of a collapsed tent and if I get drug out the gun should come with me. I hope I never need to put this to the test. If Iím awake and get the gun in my hand the only reason I would drop it from my death grip is if the bear injured my hand so bad I could not shoot with it anyway.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Ruger01 - If your adversary gets the first strike due a total surprise but fails to kill you and if you’re able to function, you can and better get back into the fight as Lady Luck is currently with you.
    ADFields - under certain Ah-sh*t conditions that gun will leave your "death grip" at light speed and on a rare occassion a lanyard won't even hold it.

It just wasn't a good day for Jerry but I suspect the bear was just trying to kick his butt for infringing on her cubs’ turf and that allowed him to react in a lethal manner. Jerry might have survived that ordeal without a gun – maybe a little worse for the wear, providing he protected his neck & head while getting chomped on but having the gun and possessing the ability to use it under stress carried the day for him. I suspect it will be a little more difficult to catch ole Jerry flat-footed again.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    ADFields - under certain Ah-sh*t conditions that gun will leave your "death grip" at light speed and on a rare occassion a lanyard won't even hold it.
    True, but I been through enough rodeos with big critters to know if it comes out it is of no use to me anyway. I been bucked off and walked 16 miles in 2 inch riding heels through Arizonaís rocky desert hills because I dropped my get-down in a aw-sh** moment as a colt was coming over backward on me. Since then I donít let go of anything thatís in my hand while I am awake and the hand is functional. Knocked out or with nonfunctional hand the gun would not do much for me anyway. Growing up cowboy I have a phobia about things tied off to me as such things can get you dead horse back so will only use a lanyard in a tent in heavy bear country.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I think "a lanyard when sleeping in a tent", is a good idea.

AND, probably better than what I usta do. I kept my Ruger Single Six in the sleeping bag with me.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default 41 mag

I carry a 6.5" S&W 41 mag loaded with 265g Performance Hard Cast bullets for bear protection. I did shoot 7' black bear with it once at close range, head on, through the chest and it peformed great killing the bear on the spot in this hunting situation.

I hope to never have to use it in a defensive stutation.

It's good to hear he was able to dispatch that bear. Running into sow with cubs is a real situation in bear country and I don't care how nice of a person you are those bears act in very upredicatable manners when this happens.

I've been charged once in a sow with cub situation. Lucky for me she bluff charged and I didn't have to use my rifle. I've at two other times encountered sow with cubs in the woods at close range. In those situations I just made myself evident and tried to display my intention to peacefully leave while standing my ground so-to-speak. These were all Brown bear encounters.

I hope this gentleman recovers quick and can regain his appreciation for the wilderness.

I don't know how many stories I have read in which the victim comments that when they started to move the bear rushed them again. It would seem to me that each of those victim would have wished that their movement would have been pulling on a lanyard to retrieve their pistol! I think this would be especially true of in the few bear vs group situations where a bear has attacked multiple people simultaneously.
    I do like the tent lanyard idea though, of course I tend to not carry a pistol and with my luck I would end up getting up in the middle of the night to pee and end up dragging my rifle out of the tent with me like 6 week old puppy.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I do like the tent lanyard idea though, of course I tend to not carry a pistol and with my luck I would end up getting up in the middle of the night to pee and end up dragging my rifle out of the tent with me like 6 week old puppy.
    Now thatís funny!!
    I have often worried I wound jump up to pee and yank the gun into my ankle bone or something, that could make a guy wet himself.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

From another site: the story line is that the bear jumped the guy, left to join its cubs, and then "squared off" to come back and work the guy over some more when the guy shot it.

Them .41's. After the griz was listed in Montana, the first griz killed in defense was with a .41. The bear didn't draw blood, but the hiker was sure the bear was going to attack. The wackos wanted the guy hung but I think Fish and Game wrote him up for hunting without a lic. I'm sure that was better than getting chewed on or paying the several $K fine for killing a listed animal.

Default Payback

Here's the account.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Bear attack, Wyoming edition

From bear country:
    Jerry Ruth saw the grizzly for just a fraction of a second before it was on him.

Within seconds, the 275-pound animal had crushed the Wyoming man's jaw when it bit him in the face, fractured his rib and punctured his lung and left deep bite wounds in his calf and scratches across his back.

After the attack, the bear left him for her three cubs that Ruth saw for the first time as he lay bleeding on the dirt. When it reached the cubs about 15 yards away, the bear turned toward him again, "squaring off" as if to charge, Ruth recalled Friday.

Ruth grabbed for the .41-caliber magnum revolver he was carrying in a hip holster and relied on his training and experience as a police officer to save his life. He fired three times, saving three bullets in case his first shots failed.

But the bear dropped and didn't move, ending the furious encounter as swiftly as it started. ...

Default Ample Justification

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Here's the account.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Bear attack, Wyoming edition

From bear country:
    Jerry Ruth saw the grizzly for just a fraction of a second before it was on him.

Within seconds, the 275-pound animal had crushed the Wyoming man's jaw when it bit him in the face, fractured his rib and punctured his lung and left deep bite wounds in his calf and scratches across his back.

After the attack, the bear left him for her three cubs that Ruth saw for the first time as he lay bleeding on the dirt. When it reached the cubs about 15 yards away, the bear turned toward him again, "squaring off" as if to charge, Ruth recalled Friday.

Ruth grabbed for the .41-caliber magnum revolver he was carrying in a hip holster and relied on his training and experience as a police officer to save his life. He fired three times, saving three bullets in case his first shots failed.

But the bear dropped and didn't move, ending the furious encounter as swiftly as it started. ...
    If this is what transpired, good on Jerry for taking the action he did. Having just been pummeled as Jerry was, I'm completely sure that I would have taken all necessary actions to prevent a re-attack.

There was no reason to kill an innocent bear, bear spray would have been just as good.

Handguns are useless agains bears!

Don't ya love the 41 mag?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Very lucky man indeed

And smart to three tap and save three back.

Murphy I can see it now, on the ground bleeding and canít breathe, you get your spray out and spray at the bear. With my luck she is up wind and I spray myself, then Iím on the ground bleeding, canít breathe, blind, and not even able to hold still . . . or in other words future bear scat!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Default Handguns vs bears

You're right Murphy, you hear it from ALL the experts, a handgun is useless against a bear attack. Obviously, neither Ruth nor this bear ever received that brief.