Thread: 2010 Spring Black Bear Hunt

Default 2010 Spring Black Bear Hunt

I am in the military and this is my second tour in Alaska (first was '96-'99 in Anchorage), but this time I am near Fairbanks. My son and I are interested in doing a guided Black Bear hunt for the spring 2010. I only have three years on this tour and want to make the most of my hunting opportunities this time around. I would like to hunt the Prince Wales area, but would like some input on guides in that area. I have never done a guided hunt before, so this process is new for me. I have researched some guides, but was wondering if anybody out there has used a guide in that area and what are your recommendations. I know my time is limited since most slots are probably reserved, but would still like to look into it. Any advice would be grealty appreciated!

Terry

Default try PWS

you should check in to Prince william sound area out of valdez. it my save you some money by doing a tranporter boat hunt that is not guided. it is a good area to hunt and easier to get to from fairbanks.
    Cheer

Any special reason you have chosen south east for your hunt area when there are so many blackies closer? Like was said, prince william sound is full of them as is the Kenai peninsula. Both of which is a days drive from Fairbanks. Would be alot cheaper and very productive.

Default Interior Bears

There are a lot of bears here in the interior that would love to fall under your sights. Baiting is not "easy" but is a very productive way of harvesting bears. Talk to some of the locals who bait, plus, there are guided hunts around Manley, and lots of big bears up there as well.

While I agree that there is plenty of hunting to be done closer to home there is definitely something to be said for going out on a hunt to POW. I also don't think having a guide is a bad idea. For POW Johnnie Laird operator of Muskeg Excursions is a member/sponsor here (Muskeg) and has a good reputation for POW. Homerdave another member here does some boat transporting for DIY hunters as well out of Homer of course...

Thanks for all the advice. I travel alot with my job so it makes it difficult to plan out certain style hunts, i.e. bear baiting. But I have always dreamed of hunting SE Alaska, so I don't want to miss out this time around; however, I have looked into the Manley area. Will definitely do some more checking!