Thread: Additional fuel thank

Default Additional fuel thank

I want to add another 20-30 gallon tank to my boat. My question is, would it be better to plumb the new tank into to the existing tank so they are equalized, or would it be better to plumb it in separate with a tee in my fuel line and some isolation valves

Bearing in mind that the USCG doesn't allow fuel fittings to be below the top of the tank, I don't know how you would plumb two tanks so that they would equalize. I'd go with a two-into-one selector valve.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

I prefer the switch even if it were legal to hook them inline. Use the smaller of the two tanks as a "reserve" tank. You will always know exactly what you have left when the main tank goes dry.

Default 12 gallon spares are great

I would (and have) purchased 2/12 gallon portable tanks and use quick disconnects to patch them into the filter.You can buy 1/4 inch ball valves for a few bucks and ioslate each fuel system. That way you will always have a clean fuel supply that can be used in an emergency. The tanks store quite nicely in the bow when they are empty.
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Default Adding one my self

Adding a 20g tank, put a 3 way vavle (Off/Right/Left) on old one, one side had a Honda fitting to use with kicker just in case. Shame to have fuel and not be able to get it to my kicker. New tank will have a electric fuel pump to pump it into my old tank thru that same Honda fitting, which will be connected up. Only time I'll disconnect is when fuel to kicker is needed, set up to pump into Honda 6 g tank also. Never know when I could help someone out of fuel. If I need the extra fuel at about 1/4 tank on old tank gage I'll pump it other wise it will be there in wait. Didn't want to go thru all the new gauge stuff.
    Positioned is as low and to the center of the boat as I could for stablity. A buddy mounted his far to the port & one to Starboard and once one is empty he's lop sided.

Outboard or inboard? Do you want the tank above deck or below? Do you want it plumbed into a kicker as well?
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Outboard or inboard? Do you want the tank above deck or below? Do you want it plumbed into a kicker as well?
    I am going to mount it below deck, and I am going to plumb my kicker into the main fuel line which both tanks are going to feed separately with isolation valves, thanks for your help Rod, I didn't realize USCG regulations on fittings in the bottom of the tanks, but it makes sense now that I think about it