Thread: Grounded charter boat in Seward

Default Grounded charter boat in Seward

I fished Seward today and it appeared that a 40' Delta Charter boat was on the beach by Tonsina Creek, I was wondering what happened to it, I just got to the area and I seen some people wading in the water next to it, there was a small skiff there, then as the tide went out, the boat went high and dry, anyone know anything about that boat?

did you get the name of the delta?

Quote Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
    did you get the name of the delta?
    No, it was foggy and I didn't get close enough to see the name, the hull was a light blue color

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I fished Seward today and it appeared that a 40' Delta Charter boat was on the beach by Tonsina Creek, I was wondering what happened to it, I just got to the area and I seen some people wading in the water next to it, there was a small skiff there, then as the tide went out, the boat went high and dry, anyone know anything about that boat?
    I can't say about that particular Delta, but intentional grounding of boats under 50' for bottom work is really common. You need the right hull configuration and right beach, but it beats heck out of paying lift, diver or grid fees for simple bottom work. Your description makes me think that's what was going on. If it was accidental there would be much commotion and running in small circles with arms waving and strong language.

Tonsina is a strange place to do any dry dock or hull work, no easy access for trucks, tools or other equipment

Quote Originally Posted by akpolaris View Post
    Tonsina is a strange place to do any dry dock or hull work, no easy access for trucks, tools or other equipment
    I don't know the spot, but you don't need road access for anything like zinc changes, prop work or clearing lines. Like I said, small jobs don't justify the expense of divers, grids or haulouts if the hull design, tides and substrate allow beaching. Been there, done that and saved abunchabux.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I don't know the spot, but you don't need road access for anything like zinc changes, prop work or clearing lines. Like I said, small jobs don't justify the expense of divers, grids or haulouts if the hull design, tides and substrate allow beaching. Been there, done that and saved abunchabux.
    You are correct BrownBear, however having grown up in Seward I cannot recall anyone ever using Tonsina as a spot for such stuff.....Especially when the harbor has a grid you can tie to at high tide and work on the boat at low tide...Last I knew that grid was free...

Wouldn't be the first boat that got a lil to close to the beach at Tonsina, either trolling for silvers or trying for halibut....That lil creek has quite a shallow delta at its mouth....

There is no way a delta charter boat is set up to go dry. Tonsina is shallow. The only light blue delta in town is the stellar explorer but I do not know if it ran around or not.