Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying chambered in Alaska ... made it home safe!

Default Carrying chambered in Alaska ... made it home safe!

I have made back home safe and sound. I did carry the Browning BLR with a 405-grain Punch bullet in the chamber, and three 350-grain North Fork softs after that in the mag. My CZ .458 Lott was stoked with a Barnes 500 grain banded solid up the tube, and four 500 grain Trophy Bonded softs after that in the mag. I was confident in the rounds, if we did what we were supposed to do if those rounds were needed … they weren’t!

Our Honda CRV stopped at the entrance gate booth of the Russian River Campground where we would park for access to the Russian River. I asked the gate employee if there were any bear sightings as of late. He told me a story that got my attention, “I have to warn you about a really aggressive bear that has been charging and chasing people, and stealing their fish. You will know him when you see him because he has a hook stuck in his face, you know, a fishing lure.” He liked my instant response of calling that bear ‘Captain Hook’! I’ll bet the ranch that my nickname sticks!

We parked and I met a Park Ranger, she was there with two other rangers. I asked her about the bear situation since she was actually a ranger. She immediately asked me, “Have you heard about the aggressive bear problem?” “Do you mean Captain Hook?” I asked. She looked at me funny, so I said, “the one with the hook stuck in its face.” She laughed and said, “Yes, it has been a very intense week because of him. He charges people, takes their fish, and is very aggressive. If you see him back off! Get out of there! Do not run, but back out of there. Let him do what he does, and then get away!”

My good luck kept Captain Hook away while we fished the Russian. As a point of fact I never saw a bear the whole trip! But, I was glad I had the proper rifles with us just in case. I do not expect to get into an auto accident, but I wear my seat belt … same thing!

I absolutely love Alaska! The next trip is to chase moose around with a hunting license in my pocket.

Photos:

Two images of my number one son touching off the 458 Lott, and the 450 Marlin BLR at the Anchorage shooting range.
    Last edited by Proud American; 08-25-2009 at 11:46.

Glad you enjoyed our state. As for the baiting about carrying chambered or not...or the fact you need a gun while visiting AK...I'll leave that for other fish to bite
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Yet another armed robbery! You are the robber of course. That is the bears home. You break in, steal their food and act like they are the bad guy . Learn some manners and respect them and there would be no need to pack all that extra weight around.

Serious though, the only times that there have been SERIOUS bear issues at or around the russian have come from frightened burgulars that have shot and wounded the bears that were just eating a meal in their own kitchen....Now the place is ugly until The authorities find, and kill the bear.

Don't get me wrong, I am a hunter and have no problem with eating an animal. No bunny hugger here. Just no reason to kill a bear when all it takes is a little education on the part of the human.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Glad you enjoyed our state. As for the baiting about carrying chambered or not...or the fact you need a gun while visiting AK...I'll leave that for other fish to bite
    AK, he might just land a big one with that bait.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default No baiting!

I must mentioned the chambered thing so some folks would remember me.

I agree, let the bears be, and I had no ill intentions at all. If you make it to Anchorage you must do breakfast at the Snow City Cafe!!! Great food!
    Two more images from the trip!
    Last edited by Proud American; 08-25-2009 at 11:46.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    Yet another armed robbery! You are the robber of course. That is the bears home. You break in, steal their food and act like they are the bad guy . Learn some manners and respect them and there would be no need to pack all that extra weight around.

Serious though, the only times that there have been SERIOUS bear issues at or around the russian have come from frightened burgulars that have shot and wounded the bears that were just eating a meal in their own kitchen....Now the place is ugly until The authorities find, and kill the bear.

Don't get me wrong, I am a hunter and have no problem with eating an animal. No bunny hugger here. Just no reason to kill a bear when all it takes is a little education on the part of the human.
    It seems, you would attach human morals and ethics to an ANIMAL.

I don't think you really know that,,,, "the only times that there have been SERIOUS bear issues at or around the russian have come from frightened burgulars that have shot and wounded the bears that were just eating a meal in their own kitchen." Anyway, I sure don't believe it.

I'm educated enough to know that bears around humans are dangerous to people. That's reason enough to kill a bear.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Proud American View Post
    If you make it to Anchorage you must do breakfast at the Snow City Cafe!!! Great food!
    Two more images from the trip!
    In the summer, the Snow City is tourists and left wingernuts.

In the winter, its just left wingernuts

Leroys or Gwennies are the places that the granola crowd avoids

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    OH Doug we had all 17 paranoia thread before the arrivel.... this ex cop is afraid of being eaten when he should look out his front door.....

Proud... glad you had a safe trip...

none of us condone carrying in the chamer... for a just in case... it might happen on a .0000000000000000000000000000000000000005% chance you piss one off...

hope your next trip is more relaxed and you enjoy it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    It seems, you would attach human morals and ethics to an ANIMAL.

I don't think you really know that,,,, "the only times that there have been SERIOUS bear issues at or around the russian have come from frightened burgulars that have shot and wounded the bears that were just eating a meal in their own kitchen." Anyway, I sure don't believe it.

I'm educated enough to know that bears around humans are dangerous to people. That's reason enough to kill a bear.

Smitty of the North
    Rodger that Smitty!!
    Humans have been fishing the Russian River for thousands of years, we are not Johnny-come-lately in any way, we belong same as they do. Now with that in mind who is the armed thief? If brother bear wants a fish he can dang well get his own and leave mine alone!

Proud American
    Glad you had a good time. When ya coming back for hunting?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Education is not a magic solution...

Hopefully you are not saying that if one was educated about bears, then there would be no reason to pack for defense. If so, then you need further education. Bottom line...things can go wrong very quickly, and bears can be and have been unpredictable...and it is that variable of unpredictability that troubles me, so I pack.

Education about bears can be a good thing, if it's good education...Mr. Chocolate's buddy spent time "educating" children about Alaska's bears in a few CA public schools.

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    OH Doug we had all 17 paranoia thread before the arrivel.... this ex cop is afraid of being eaten when he should look out his front door.....

Proud... glad you had a safe trip...

none of us condone carrying in the chamer... for a just in case... it might happen on a .0000000000000000000000000000000000000005% chance you piss one off...

hope your next trip is more relaxed and you enjoy it.
    Speak for yourself, I have 3 locked and loaded within arm’s reach at this very moment just in case, just in case is why I have many of my guns in the first place, and I'm always relaxed and enjoying it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Hopefully you are not saying that if one was educated about bears, then there would be no reason to pack for defense. If so, then you need further education. Bottom line...things can go wrong very quickly, and bears can be and have been unpredictable...and it is that variable of unpredictability that troubles me, so I pack.

Education about bears can be a good thing, if it's good education...Mr. Chocolate's buddy spent time "educating" children about Alaska's bears in a few CA public schools.

Doc

what?????????????????????????????????????????????

hmm learn about bears or carry and 11lb gun along while fishing....

learn about bears... and invite some whiner along...

no gun needed bears are full....

or give them a fish.. as it don't count against you.. and you can fish all day. and the bear will eat it...

then your ol lady don't piss a fit about all the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ you spent to go fishing... only to throw them back....

do you realize those Kenai bows are worth millions for the amount spent annually to toss their ass back in the water???????

learn about that bear...

don;t like your GF... wait till she is on her moonly cycle... bear will take care of her...

Treadwell made the mistake of staying in same tent....

LOL ... most folks see a few bears in their LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Where was Henry's gun? In the tent, or against a tree 20 yards away? If it is chambered, it should be in his hand.

Quote Originally Posted by akshrop View Post
    Where was Henry's gun? In the tent, or against a tree 20 yards away? If it is chambered, it should be in his hand.

Good catch! Goes back to the old arguement between the 12ga and the pistol. Rather have the knock down power of the 12ga, but what good is it if it is leaning against a tree out of reach!

I enjoy your posts Vince, but I disagree with you on this one. I agree that there are some folks who are so afraid of bears that they can't enjoy our wilderness. I'm not one of them. I enjoy seeing bears in the wild. Bears are my favorite big game animal in AK to hunt. I especially enjoy the fact that they always (so far) run right away when they wind me...unless they have been habituated to people, then they tend to stick around.

I've only fished the Russian once in the 20+ years that I have lived here, because it's not what I'm looking for in an Alaskan fishing experience. On that trip I had a beautiful, big black bear come up behind me looking for my fish that I had just tossed onto the bank. I was fishing in the river up to my waders, and saw him behind me after someone motioned to me. I yelled at him and waved my arm, and after making a considerable ruckus he finally and reluctantly left. My hand was continually on my pistol, which remained holstered the whole time.

I don't want to shoot a bear in defense of life or property. I'd much rather prevent the problem in the first place by being smart. However, I don't for one minute think that just because I'm being smart that bears won't hurt me, and I am safe. Such thinking is naive. Prevention is a good thing for sure, but it is not 100%. My choice is to be smart, but also be prepared for a problem. I personally feel that I am in much greater danger when I am in an area where bears have been habituated to people...I'm much more leary of Mr. Chocolate than any bear that I'd encounter in the wild. In fact, every bear that I've seen in my yard in Anchorage has had tags in both ears.

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post

I don't want to shoot a bear in defense of life or property. I'd much rather prevent the problem in the first place by being smart. However, I don't for one minute think that just because I'm being smart that bears won't hurt me, and I am safe. Such thinking is naive. Prevention is a good thing for sure, but it is not 100%. My choice is to be smart, but also be prepared for a problem.
    Doc
    Just as soon as I started reading this part of your post I knew that you could delete the word bear and insert the word criminal and it could then be used as a rational counterpoint to give to the anti-gun crowd out there.

Not that they'd pay attention.

Nice post.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Leroys or Gwennies are the places that the granola crowd avoids
    "Honey, look at all the dead animals on the wall"
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

And here I chased a bear out of our chicken coup last week using a garden hose in nothing but my underwear.

How that bear got into my underwear, I'll never know...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    And here I chased a bear out of our chicken coup last week using a garden hose in nothing but my underwear.
    Fess up, you keep the garden hose on all summer.....I mean you could lose precious seconds of bruin soaking having to take the time to turn the spigot on......

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    I mean you could lose precious seconds of bruin soaking having to take the time to turn the spigot on......
    AKHippie- LMAO...That's funny!

Seriously though- I'm happy PA didn't get ate by a bear. And I'm glad a bear didn't get gacked by PA. I'm also curious as to what the Ranger's reaction to all the artillery was. Last time I was at the Russian there weren't many long guns in evidence- at least in plain sight.

Someone had to mention Gwennies- I haven't been there since I moved to the Chain a few years ago... now I can get there from here but its a long drive for breakfast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast