Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is Silver Fishing out of Seward?

Default How is Silver Fishing out of Seward?

Trying to decide between Silvers out of Seward or Halibut out of Homer this weekend. The kids want to hit some chicken holes out of Homer, but I'm hoping I can talk them into Seward if the Silver action is still strong. Are the Silvers still schooled up out at Pony Cove or are they getting strung out through the bay? I don't mind trolling throughout the bay, but the kids like faster action (like a chicken hole).

Thanks

Weather s#$ks on the water at the moment. Watch it and see a high weather system pushes out the low that is seet in now

Thumbs up Either is Good

Just got back from a week long trip down on the Kenai Peninsula. We did a half day Silver Charter with Aurora Charters and it was like a tuna harvest. The boat went to Pony Cove and we did very well, 10 folks limited out in less that two hours. The boat was pretty fast for a large boat. Then we went to Homer and I took out a few teenagers on two half day halibut charters with Alaska Coastal Marine and we did pretty good, some fish over 25 pounds. For the $105.00 bucks a head it was well worth it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default what day were you at Pony Cove

Water looks like its been rough so I was wondering when you went out

Pony has fish deep...like 80-125. Same at Fox...deep.

Default Pony Cove

We went out last monday. There where solid 4 ft swells on the way out past the bay. It was smooth once we got there. It looks like it might be smoothing out this week.

AK2AZ you are saying the fish are deep. Without downriggers would a guy be better off mooching? I was out there 2 weekends ago trolling with pink ladies and maybe getting down 30 to 40 feet. I caught a ton of pinks, but not many silvers. The fishing was fun, but not much meat for the freezer. I was wondering if the pinks were shallow and the silvers were beneath them. What do you think.

It sure isn't too bad out there today. Look at the buoys off shore and in the straights, for going outside the bay. Inside the bay will be fine and it looks like it's going to be laying down by this weekend even more. There are still lots of salmon to be had. good luck

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/maps/Alaska_inset.shtml

lots of fish at cheval when you can get there

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    AK2AZ you are saying the fish are deep. Without downriggers would a guy be better off mooching? I was out there 2 weekends ago trolling with pink ladies and maybe getting down 30 to 40 feet. I caught a ton of pinks, but not many silvers. The fishing was fun, but not much meat for the freezer. I was wondering if the pinks were shallow and the silvers were beneath them. What do you think.

Exactly, pinks shallow are shallow and the silvers are down low right now. Mooching is the best bet if you don`t have downriggers. I fished last weekend without riggers and did poorly. Fish are there but it was way rough out there last weekend.

Default Depth

We where mooching 25 to 30 ft and tearing them up!

Default Nice fish outside the bay

Outside the bay salmon fishing is great right now, inside...... pony and the chevel area have there highs and lows. The morning bite seems to be better. Mooching has been pretty affective if you can get out of the wind and stay in one place. Downriggers seem to work great to but as far as better, I dont think thats the case. I wish I could say all coho but theres some pinks mixed in with them on a better note theres some kings in there also from time to time. good luck

"Sit tight, and wait for the bite"

Most fishing still being done outside the bay, saw a few boats fishing inside the bay this past weekend with limited results. Weather and water was beautiful Saturday and Sunday.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Default Point East Are Hot?

I heard that a couple of the bays east of Day Harbor were pretty hot this past weekend - can anyone confirm that?
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Quote Originally Posted by akfishnut View Post
    I heard that a couple of the bays east of Day Harbor were pretty hot this past weekend - can anyone confirm that?

We did well in Day Harbor on Sunday. I assume the couple bays east you are refering to is Johnstone. I haven't heard anything lately, but when Day Harbor is good, johnstone is generally even better. I just couldn't see running that far when we didn't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by akfishnut View Post
    Driftwood and the bays to the east were wonderful...I can confirm. The weather was absolutely perfect this past weekend!

Default fox island ?

Anybody fishing & picking up some around south of fox island & hive island? Would like to run out in the zodiac with the family tomm or Friday. Curious if they are around or if we have to make the run to driftwood. With the rain forecasted closer would be nice for sure.

When we were out on the 4th the sonar was showing them around Caines head, but they weren't biting. You should be able to catch them closer in to port, just don't expect hot fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    Anybody fishing & picking up some around south of fox island & hive island? Would like to run out in the zodiac with the family tomm or Friday. Curious if they are around or if we have to make the run to driftwood. With the rain forecasted closer would be nice for sure.

On Sunday we picked up one silver and one pink in about an hour of trolling between Fox and Hive. Watching the other boats in the area, that was pretty much the norm. There are fish there, but it was slow. Who knows, if we had stayed there, we may have gotten a hot bite sometime in the day too.

Son and I ran out to Montague on Monday and there were tons of silvers around us. They were even hitting our halibut jigs on the way up or down.
    Son couldnt stand it anymore so he put on one of those power bait minnow types and dropped it about 15 feet and you could watch the silvers swarm all over it.
    Might mention the ling fishing was superb but we never did find the butts we were looking for. Water was glass calm all day until we hit Caines Head on the way back to the docks.
    Tennessee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast