Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silver Fox Charters out of Homer

Default Silver Fox Charters out of Homer

Hi everyone!

We have a charter booked for Friday with Capt. Steve through Silver Fox Charters in Homer. From what I've been told by our cousin who is a former charter boat captain from Homer, Silver Fox is one of the oldest charters down there and have a strong enough customer base that they no longer need an office on the spit. Anyone here ever been out with them or Capt. Steve in particular?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MaryLeiLannei View Post
    Hi everyone!

We have a charter booked for Friday with Capt. Steve through Silver Fox Charters in Homer. From what I've been told by our cousin who is a former charter boat captain from Homer, Silver Fox is one of the oldest charters down there and have a strong enough customer base that they no longer need an office on the spit. Anyone here ever been out with them or Capt. Steve in particular?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I have been fishing with them since early 80's. I will take them again and i do suggest them to everyone. I have never had a bad trip with them or any of thier captains. They used to have an office right behind the Salty Dog. That was nice. I think you will have a great trip and report back and show us those pictures
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

i will never go with them again. i was out with the owner as our captain. he made some rookie mistakes and our boat sank.
    http://homernews.com/stories/072105/...21new011.shtml

Default Barrens Policy - Two Boats

You can be just thankful that they have a policy of not going to the Barren Islands unless two boats can go. The rescue wnet off without you getting your feet wet - that's a day you can be thankful for.
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Quote Originally Posted by wsg7057 View Post
    i will never go with them again. i was out with the owner as our captain. he made some rookie mistakes and our boat sank.
    http://homernews.com/stories/072105/...21new011.shtml
    I know a guy that has been commercial fishing all his life, and he is good at it. Anyhow he got an anchor line caught in the prop, the anchor dragged and he ended up losing his boat. This sort of thing can happen to even the most experienced fishermen. I have been out with Silver Fox 3 times and I would recommend them over other charter outfists I have been out with in Homer

I have known capt. Gerry for a long time he is one of the best captains around ......period.... He ran a coast guard search and rescue boat for years..... Crap can happen when your out there ... Steve and mel will take good care of you....
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Default Never Again

We've fished with them 2 times, about 10 years ago. I swore I'd go hungry before ever got on one of their boats again.

Thanks for the heads up on your experiences everyone! I'll be sure to let you know how it goes tomorrow

My first and last experience with them left me feeling much like RodBuilder.

It wasn't extremely bad, but the lack of profesionalism or regard for the client wasn' there.

Had us fishing in 500 foot of water, which I could handle (But didn't prefer) but the other older retired folks (out of staters) couldn't make the reel in, so the boat Capt asked me to do it, which I did.......over and over and over.

I had caught the largest two butts in the boats, both maybe 85 pounds, and the older fellas managed to reel in several smaller ones. The capt clearly marked them as we brought them in as to who they belonged to, but to my suprise he sure tried like heck to not only all my the fish to the old fellas, but he tried to give them mine too. I had to step in and argue with him to the point of having two point out the markings he put on the fish for their group and the different ones for me. By this time I had pretty much been his deck hand the entire day, he tried to give my fish away, and he had the nerve at the end to ask if I was going to tip him and got ugly when I told him he should probably be tipping me.

But with that said, they might be a better operation now, I just wouldn't use my own money to test it out again.

Good luck though

I dont want to sound like a jerk but i would not have reeled up thier lines. If i was expected to do that then fine you refund my money and pay me. thats what a deck hand is for. I dont think you should have had to babysit the other passengers. that is not what you paid for. Why the he@# did he have you in 500ft of water if they could not fish it?? Not very smart to say the least

kg, I was just being the nice fella and helping out and the old fellers were appreciative for it. It was at the end when the fella tried to give my fish away and ask for a tip, that my task of reeling was magnified.

Like I said, could be a better operation and might have different staff, I was just sharing my experience, because If I asked, I would appreciate the favor.

I went out with Silver Fox about 7 years ago, Steve was the cap't,,Not sure if it is the same Steve... But he was mighty rude,Late meeting us in the morning,,And he lost a drive or something, I ain't sure,, But something went haywire in his boat and we were several hours late getting back to Homer..
    I definatly wouldn't give em another chance..

Wound up on one of their boats due to a mechanical breakdown on another charter I had reserved quite a few years ago.

Caught a pretty large halibut on the first drift. The first big one I had ever caught. The measurement table in the tide book said it was about 200 pounds. On the way back, I asked if I could get the fish weighed as it was the biggest fish I had ever caught in my life up to that point. Imagine my surprise when the captain refused. Told me right to my face that his deckhand wasn't about to take the time and effort to mess with my fish since I didn't have a derby ticket.

Never thought I could walk away from a halibut trip after catching a fish that size and feel so unhappy. Since then I've caught 2 halibut over 300 pounds and 10+ over 200 pounds so it's not like it was a once in a lifetime fish but the bad taste of the experience still lingers.

Default back in "the day"....

silver fox was at the top of the game 15-18 years ago, they had 6 boats, a bunch of young aggressive skippers who really "rode for the brand", and a dedication to big fish and customer service.
    about 10 years ago the original owner sold out, and with the business went any yet-to-be-determined "sport quotas" as at the time of the sale the idea that some sort of transferable IFQ type deal was in the works... lots of folks either stayed in the business, or bought an established business in order to qualify for what might have been a valuable asset. that gamble didn't pay off, and i think silver fox has changed hands again since then.
    all the silver fox "cowboys" moved on, some to buy an established business, several went on their own ( and are very highly regarded charter operators) and some went to do other things, one has passed on.
    "brand name" means nothing, skippers are what make a good charter, and the good ones have clients that follow them if they change outfits. if the owner realizes this, he keeps his skippers happy....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Silver Fox

I fondly remember Garth and Mary Howser when they owned the outfit. I met them in 1975.Their daughter and son in law then took over but then I lost track. Oh the good old days.

Well, yikes!

Reviews of Silver Fox seem to be all over the place. I'm hoping that our trip tomorrow will be a productive one. I'll let everyone know how it went!

-Lanna

Like Homer Dave said, its all about the skippers. A very good family friend of mine used to own Silver Fox. This was back when the office was behind the Dog. My brother worked for them as ground staff and later as a guide. The team back then was a bunch of hard core fishermen, they had mechanics on staff and worked hard to keep the "Silver Fox" name on top. When the business was sold 10 years ago my brother still worked as a guide.. the next year he quit and left the business. Then new owners ran the business into the ground by cutting the pay, not maintaining equipment and generally trying to survive off the name alone. They sold it to some others and I have no idea about the business now.

Homerdave - does your last name happen to start with a B? and you used to work on the slope for SLB? If so you know me.

Post My Charter on the Donna Mae

So we went out on the charter on Friday. All in all I wouldn't say it was a bad experience, but it was exactly great either.

We went out with Capt. Steve B, on the Donna Mae. We booked through Silver Fox Charters but if I understood it correctly, he runs his own charter company (I can't remember the name).

Here's the play by play of our trip:

We had a meet time of 6:30 and departed at about five after seven. On the charter with my dad, uncle and me were two other, older, retired guys. It took us almost 2 hours to run out to Flat Island. Once we got there we started hooking fish immediately. We all probably threw back 3-4 fish before finding "keepers". There weren't any monsters, the last fish we caught was around 35lbs and the rest were in the lower 20s (this was all by eye though, none were actually weighed). Towards the end it seemed like we were started to catch some bigger fish. We ended up heading back in around 2:30.

My dad feels like we sorta were "chickened out" for the $250 we paid a head. However, there were other factors. We lucked out weather wise for the most part but were dealing with 6-8ft rollers the majority of the time we were out there. This wasn't too bad, but it wasn't great either. One person on board did get sick and ended up chumming the fish. My dad did want to stay out another hour or two, but with the circumstances: a sick passenger (he was older too, in his late 70s or 80s), I was borderline the entire time we were out there, the rolling waves, and bad weather was moving in on us, it was a fair trip. The captain was pretty professional aside from one thing that I do find a little questionable (PM me if you want to know, this however may be common practice for all I know), and after the third or fourth fish he got a little pushier on keeping them, even if we weren't too thrilled about the fish and wanted to try for bigger ones.

All in all, it was a fair trip but I think from now on, we're gonna go out of Anchor Point for halibut. We got word on a charter where the captain fished hard and let the guy throw back close to 20 halibut until he was happy with what he had. It only costs $180 too.

Default thats screwy

You met at 630 and left at 5 after 7. Lot of screwing around time if you ask me.

For $250, I'd say you got screwed. Most captains will take 225 and run you farther when the weather is nicer. I understand only going to Flat in 6-8 foot swells. But that is an outrageous price.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Yeah, it did seem a little spendy. We were quoted $275 but when we told them we were paying cash it dropped to $250 with no tax. The capt said when he does combo trips they leave at 6 and on halibut only leave at 7, plus the other party got there a little late. Can't really blame the captain for that. We definitely weren't overly impressed with the charter but understand that the weather probably played a pretty big factor in the overall quality of the trip. Although a couple days earlier, when the weather was worse from what I understand, a client pulled a 286lber? but didn't have a derby ticket. Just the luck of the draw, I suppose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast