Thread: Thoughts on Crescent/China Poot Lake?

Default Thoughts on Crescent/China Poot Lake?

Hello all,

I am new here. My parents bought me a trip to Alaska for college graduation, and me and a few friends have many things planned. Among the activities, we are heading to Crescent and China Poot Lakes. We leave this Thursday morning, and I would really appreciate any advice from experienced outdoors men on what type of tackle to take, and what type of fishing to expect from these lakes......thank you.

I was up at Crescent Lake this weekend; Friday thru Sunday. The wind was blowing pretty good which made fishing a little more challenging. However; I found the grayling to be very aggressive; use a small 1/8 oz spinner (like mepps or panther martin) if using ultralight hardware or gnats, mosquitos, nymphs for dry flies; size 14 if using 5wt fly rods; I brought both. Did not see anyone else fishing. I stayed at the forest service cabin...

the last folks i ferried to china poot reported good fishing for 'bows in the 12"-18" class, and a couple that were #3-4.
    if you have not already arranged transport to china poot drop me a PM.
    dave
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Thank you for the info guys. You know exactly what type of fish are in these lakes? Also, how is the access to the stream feeding into China Poot Lake from the cabin on the lake, and how is the fishing there? Thanks

rainbows in the lake, and there is a canoe or rowboat on the lake for public use.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Crescent Lake is great, dry flies are great to fish with, and you can't go wrong with a spinner but it is great to fish a dry and watch the fish take them. If you only have spinning tackle I have used dry flies on that gear with clear bobbers. Also you can get to Carter lake from crescent and catch rainbows.

how far of a walk is that?