Thread: Strange question... but here goes

Default Strange question... but here goes

My folks raised and butchered a steer. It had a very nice black hide with some white. I kept the hide and put it raw in the freezer. Took it to a taxidermist who quoted $1,000 just for tanning (7' x 7' hide).

I'm very surprised. I'm wondering what my "self-tanning" options might be, I want this for a wall display (I think???).

Thank you,

KRS

That is pretty steep, I would try calling around and seeing if you can find a cheaper price.

The following website has a ton of supplies and great prices for doing it yourself. Wish I could give you some tips on it but never tanned one of mine.

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/

Default used to do deer hides

Alum and salt, Mix in a large plastic garbage. Put hide into bath and add warm water till it covers. I used to put a cement brick on top to keep it submerged. Mix every week for six weeks. Take out rinse and scrape down. viola, there she be. Three bottles of Alum(Local Pharmacy) and 5 1bs of salt. Non iodized.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

we get quoted 40-45 per running foot here for bear hides..and they are shipped out side.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by KRS View Post
    My folks raised and butchered a steer. It had a very nice black hide with some white. I kept the hide and put it raw in the freezer. Took it to a taxidermist who quoted $1,000 just for tanning (7' x 7' hide).
    WOW, that sounds like highway robbery to me!! Try and contact a larger tannery in the L48 and see if you cant send it to them yourself. I'd be dipped in poo before I paid that for just tanning

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    I'd be dipped in poo...
    Wow, that's a powerful mental image

Hey guys, thank you for the info. I couldn't believe the price myself. I really want that hide on the wall, it is cool.

I'll call around and find someone else or use a home-brew recipie.

Thank you,

KRS

Let us know how it turns out...and pics are always welcome

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    WOW, that sounds like highway robbery to me!! Try and contact a larger tannery in the L48 and see if you cant send it to them yourself. I'd be dipped in poo before I paid that for just tanning

you know for some REASON>>>

i think

alaska_lanche.... may help me photo graph that one.....

now where is that video
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Better, cheaper tannery in Lower 48

http://www.uberleather.com/tanning.html

For years we sent moose hides out to Uber Glove Company and they always did a great tanning job at a reasonable price. Check link above.

PS: the moose we sent off was always stretched first, dried, no salt. We rolled it into a cylinder shape for shipping.

Google brain tanning. It takes as much time as any other method and, like anything, the quality you get out is proportional to the work you put in, but there's absolutely no reason you can't do it yourself with a hide that size. One pound of brains in 3 gallons of water should be more than enough to do that hide. You can buy pig or cow brains at many butcher shops, and if you can't find them you can substitute a mixture of 1 part tallow and 2 parts murphy's oil soap.

If you can wait until September I have two hogs to slaughter and you can have the brains.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I got the 2-lb Lutan F kit from vandyketaxidermy.com and used half of it to do a small black bear hide, and I've never tanned anything before. It comes with everything you need for about $25 plus shipping (which was also $25!), except you need to buy a big bag of table salt. It came out pretty good for a newbie.

Also I made a fleshing beam from a 2x8, and I got a fleshing knife from Sportsman's Warehouse. Spent a lot of time scraping and picking at it.

Default tanning

I shot an elk in Colorado a few years ago and had Rocky Mountain Tannery in Denver tan the hide. It was about $150 with hair on and even less without the hair (leather). You are getting hosed at $1000

Default 11 game animals from Africa

My dad and I sent out 11 hides from African game to be tanned about 5 months ago. They are as follows:

Eland (1800 pounder), Zebra, Black Wildebeest, Blue Wildebeest, Duiker, Gemsbok, Red Hartebeest, 2 each Blesbok and and 2 each Springbok.

$3100 total to have all capes and backskins shipped there, tanned, and shipped back. The Zebra was tanned whole as it is going to be a rug mount.

We went through a local taxidermist so I don't know what company did the tanning, but I could find out.

MP, did you JUST get those hides back from Africa? Seems like you've been back from that hunt FOREVER!

We got them from Africa in February of 2007 (hunted in Oct. 2006). We turned them in to be tanned in March of this year.

This company is NOT a taxidermy tannery, but for a wall hanging it should be fine. They will flesh it, too.

http://www.usafoxx.com/fur-tanning-pricelist.htm

Default Moyle Mink and Tannery

http://www.moytown.com/Contact.html

This company may be able to do exactly what you want for a reasonable price. Just follow their hide preparation steps they give.