Thread: Old school canoe caribou hunt. Input appreciated

Default Old school canoe caribou hunt. Input appreciated

I'm going hunting on the haul road in Sept, my friend and I are looking at putting in about 90 miles south of Prudhoe and hunting/floating to the second vehicle stashed there. We'll be using 2 vintage canoes, a 15' Smoker Craft and 17' Grumman aluminum double ender. We have small boat canoe/kayak experience but I am unfamiliar w/ the Sagavanirktok river. Hunting will be archery primary, if all fails we'll hike in 5 miles w/ rifles.

BTW some friends just got back on Friday from prudhoe, they saw a few small herds, one had about 25 in it., this was within 25 miles of Prudhoe Bay.

Any experienced canoers/navigators from the Sag river please chime in.
    What class rivers are wel looking at?

Thanks Billy Jack
    Wasilla, AK

I think that is a brave move floating the Sag in a canoe!!!!!!! Have you ever been up north hunting around the Sag? The Sag has taken many of lives over the years.

Wink

I like your walk in idea better. The rapids change all the time, they go from bad to worse and visa versa.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Can't say as I have heard of a lot folks floating the Sag. Might be more productive posting on the "Float Hunting Forum"....BTW, need I comment on the use of PFD's ? Kudos on doing prehunt research. Good luck.

I spoke with someone recently who was just up at the Sag fishing a rafter (long dead) out of the river. My understanding and I have not been there is it can change quickly and without warning.

Brett