Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Old school canoe caribou hunt. Input appreciated

  1. #1
    Member billy jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Wasilla AK
    Posts
    182

    Default Old school canoe caribou hunt. Input appreciated

    I'm going hunting on the haul road in Sept, my friend and I are looking at putting in about 90 miles south of Prudhoe and hunting/floating to the second vehicle stashed there. We'll be using 2 vintage canoes, a 15' Smoker Craft and 17' Grumman aluminum double ender. We have small boat canoe/kayak experience but I am unfamiliar w/ the Sagavanirktok river. Hunting will be archery primary, if all fails we'll hike in 5 miles w/ rifles.

    BTW some friends just got back on Friday from prudhoe, they saw a few small herds, one had about 25 in it., this was within 25 miles of Prudhoe Bay.

    Any experienced canoers/navigators from the Sag river please chime in.
    What class rivers are wel looking at?

    Thanks Billy Jack
    Wasilla, AK

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    579

    Default

    I think that is a brave move floating the Sag in a canoe!!!!!!! Have you ever been up north hunting around the Sag? The Sag has taken many of lives over the years.

  3. #3

    Wink

    I like your walk in idea better. The rapids change all the time, they go from bad to worse and visa versa.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  4. #4
    Member shphtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    1,376

    Default

    Can't say as I have heard of a lot folks floating the Sag. Might be more productive posting on the "Float Hunting Forum"....BTW, need I comment on the use of PFD's ? Kudos on doing prehunt research. Good luck.

  5. #5
    Member BrettAKSCI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,623

    Default

    I spoke with someone recently who was just up at the Sag fishing a rafter (long dead) out of the river. My understanding and I have not been there is it can change quickly and without warning.

    Brett

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •