Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Pull Forward

Default Please Pull Forward

Hey'yall

Please pull forward after loading your boat on the trailer.....its a boat pullout, not boat get ready for the highway, clean up your stuff and wait for your buddy parking area. Special attention at Jims landing on the Kenai River, please please please..."nough said"

Thanks for hearing my plea.....and pulling forward after loading your vessel to a less congested area. KUDOS TO ALL.

You must have been at Jim's Landing on Saturday. I am not sure which is more infuriating

the private group that leaves its raft in the middle of the take-out while someone goes to overflow parking for the car or

the guide that just goes around everyone waiting in line to pull into takeout area or

the guy that uses one of the wide spots in the road near the bathrooms to tie down his boat and then blocks the outgoing traffic.

They need a drill sergeant running that place on weekends. There is enough room for everyone if people would just be a little thoughtful and courteous.

Doug

Default Keep going

Put a motor on your raft and carry on to Skilak Lake. It's a lot of fun.

I'll agree with you on this one. I was there saturday at about 5 or 5:30 and there were 8 or so boats. The bank was full, but I didn't see anybody stop and load all their gear for highway travel. What I saw was people loading their gear in the truck and driving down the road a ways and tying everything down in the loop across skilak lake road. Thats what I always do. When there are 8 boats waiting to be picked up, of course its going to seem like people are taking too much time.

Congestion on the upper Kenai?! I simply refuse to believe this. That place is an annoying mess. Do like I do and limit your visits to Oct and May - works great.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by abel6wt View Post
    Congestion on the upper Kenai?! I simply refuse to believe this. That place is an annoying mess. Do like I do and limit your visits to Oct and May - works great.

then i am doing well... at 3 times in 30 years
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

You guys bring up a good issue for me. I will be on the Upper Kenai for a while in mid Sept. 14' raft and a rental car. Touristy isn't it? Anyway, we will be doing Sportsmans to Jims. When the wife and I get to Jims, what is the best way for us to do things? Etiquette wise, what would you want to see us do if you were there? No trailer, we will be breaking the raft down, loading up the rental trailblazer, back to the campground. Should we just take the frame/oars off and walk them over to the side, then carry the empty raft up and out of the way somewhere. I have not seen Sportsmans or Jims so I don't know what to expect during put in or take out. What would be the best way to handle this? And don't say "Stay home". It is inferred and needs not be said. Joking aside, I would appreciate any suggestions.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

At Sportsman's you'll be able to inflate the raft at the car and then carry it to the launch area a short distance away. There's plenty of room just downstream of the ramp to load everything in the boat. I don't have a trailer either so I pull out the farthest upstream as possible at Jim's leaving the rest of the landing for guys with trailers. The beach is only about 100' I guess, but most with trailers seem to use the middle or downstream portion. Maybe you can leave the frame intact and strap it on the roof rack if the rental has one when you get to Jim's?

Default Worth discussing now...for later...

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    ... what would you want to see...[folks]... do if you were there? ...
    Steady population growth and all...it's likely to get worse without some...guidance or maybe a miraculous and widespread revelation
    /epiphany .

Dan's question is worth serious thought/discussion, and maybe some kind of initiative down the road. My brother surfs quite a bit on the East coast and is active in a community surfer organization which has, among other things, done various projects to educate surfers and fishermen in order to reduce conflicts between these two groups. Be helpful if we could answer Dan's question with practical suggestions for ramp users.

Or we can just see what happens...

You guys bring up a good issue for me. I will be on the Upper Kenai for a while in mid Sept. 14' raft and a rental car. Touristy isn't it? Anyway, we will be doing Sportsmans to Jims. When the wife and I get to Jims, what is the best way for us to do things? Etiquette wise, what would you want to see us do if you were there? No trailer, we will be breaking the raft down, loading up the rental trailblazer, back to the campground. Should we just take the frame/oars off and walk them over to the side, then carry the empty raft up and out of the way somewhere. I have not seen Sportsmans or Jims so I don't know what to expect during put in or take out. What would be the best way to handle this? And don't say "Stay home". It is inferred and needs not be said. Joking aside, I would appreciate any suggestions.
    It is alot different during the week in the fall dan. When we float the 1st day Ill show you the ropes down there. You will have no problems at all buddy
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default post identical last year

I had to check the date on this thread, as it is almost identical to last years rants.
    yup, people deflating rafts in the launching area, people dragging butt hanging out blocking those that want or need to get moving,
    Some folks think its a boat show and everyone should hang out and tell them how nice the setup is..
    Even last year when we had the AOD float down the kenai, some of our own were inflating rafts on the launch ramp up at Kenai lake, some were parking there rafts at the first places after you launched instead of moving on down the line so others could get their rafts off and then have a spot for a moment to get on and move away from the launch area.
    You are right.... and it was said last year..
    they need a ranger down there at Jims at takeout time, blowing a whistle and helping educate those that are not up to speed about moving along, and getting out of the way of places that are used for in and out services.
    seems simple enough to me...
    but then again.. folks still think those moving walkways at airports are a ride.. and just stand on them instead of walking...
    Jerry Seinfield had a rant about it once, and I laughed so hard because it is so true.. ...people will complain about how long a line is at the grocery store, but when its their turn at the checkout... they take their sweet time...
    If their is a chance,, no matter how small that you are blocking someone else from using the facility..
    then move!!!
    With DISPATCH..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Wink Just don't block the main drag?!

It has always seemed like common sense to me. You just pull-off the main thoroughfare to inflate, carry the boat down when ready, and find an unoccupied area away from the boat launch to anchor while loading gear into the boat. For those of us who don't use trailers, there is little reason to clog-up the boat ramp at either end. On occasion, I will deflate and break-down my raft right at the fence at the upstream end of Jim's, but only when traffic is minimal (during the week, late fall, winter...) during the busy season, it is easy just to pull downstream of the lowest parked boat and deflate and break down down there. It is a bit of a haul to get everything up and over the walkway, but with two people it isn't too difficult to go around. The truck should not be brought anywhere near the raft until it is completely broken-down, rolled-up and ready to load. The loading process takes a few minutes, at most, and traffic keeps moving smoothly in and out. Even doing my best to stay out of the way, I've still had a few *****#oles glare at me like I should just buy a drift boat and trailer already, but you can't please all of the people all of the time, and as long as I'm courteous and do my best not to clog things-up, I have just as much right to use the boat launches as everyone else. I pay my fees too, after all and I live on the Kenai Peninsula year-round. It's not just my playground. Make of that what you will, but common courtesy goes a long way in any setting.

Default NO,no,no,no,no,wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by abel6wt View Post
    Sorry, Abel, everyone knows there is absolutely no reason to float the Upper Kenai between Sept. 30 and May 1st. I can't beleieve you would misinform the public like that. During those months, it's just best to avoid the Kenai River altogether as the trout are all hibernating and there are far too many hungry bears to make it safe!

Default Taking out at Jim's

A quick recommendation on taking out at Jim's Landing.

First, try to see if the ramp is crowded before floating past the mid-channel island upstream of the ramp. We have pulled in at that island many times and waited for the ramp to clear before moving down. Makes a huge difference.

Drift to the farthest downstream end of the ramp if possible. It is much easier for other boaters to pull in UPSTREAM of you than it is to float around you and pull in!

If someone downstream of you takes out before you can, float your raft down a bit into the empty hole. This makes room for others.

While someone is getting your vehicle, stow your oars and get the boat ready to load. If you are trailering, get the boat on the trailer and get off the ramp ASAP. Don't plug the ramp while you offload the gear out of your boat, tie the boat to the trailer, etc. Do that stuff off the ramp (but don't block the road).

Thanks!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Dan

Dan
    My van and raft trailer will be parked and the same place Chuck keeps his Cat, feel free to use it instead of breaking down the raft. Chuck should still have keys to the van.

Randy

I do have them Randy. I will get them to dan if he wants to us it during fihsaplooza. He will be hanging out with us as you know

Default No kidding...

Very generous of you Randy. I will shoot you a pm now...

Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post

I will get them to dan if he wants to us it during fihsaplooza.

Are you kidding? Heck yeah, "he wants"

With Randy's OK, we are all over that offer. Been trying to figure this part of the trip out for two months. I am used to a bush plane drop off/pick up. Never had to move a raft around with a car. Let alone every day for 7-8 days in a row. Very generous offer Randy. I will figure out how to repay the favor in some fashion.

Are you kidding? Heck yeah, "he wants"

With Randy's OK, we are all over that offer. Been trying to figure this part of the trip out for two months. I am used to a bush plane drop off/pick up. Never had to move a raft around with a car. Let alone every day for 7-8 days in a row. Very generous offer Randy. I will figure out how to repay the favor in some fashion.

Beer, and hookers and firetrucks. If I were you I would not worry about how to repay him back. It will just happen. fish Karma works in strange ways. Randy is a class guy and I have had fun fishing with him and just chatting with him. Ill be with him this weekend at the russian also. Ill show you how he "repaid" me for doing some simple things for him last year. You will see it at camp this fall dan.

Yes, Jim's Landing was a zoo last weekend. One thing that is needed is a BIG sign at the front entry letting the tourist RV renter know there's no room to turn around down there. Park and walk if you want to see what's going on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast