Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30-06 vs .338 win mag

Eagle River, Alaska by way of Mobile, Alabama

Default 30-06 vs .338 win mag

Hey gals, which do you prefer, 30-06 or .338 win mag? Moose being the target.

Which one can you shoot? I'd probably go with that one.

Also, you should check the archives here by using the search function. There are probably more threads on this very topic than there are actual moose in Alaska.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Both are 100% adequate. As jmg pointed out, the only factor is which you prefer to shoot and which you can shoot well. Moose are not difficult to kill and do not require magnum-powered rifles to knock 'em over.

I have both calibers, both capable of taking moose with no problems, .338 better bear protection, 06 has cheaper ammo

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

NEITHER!!!

you must have at a minimum...

a 375 ULTRA short long mag with 450 grain tSSSx;s x2 to even come close to meeting the requirements around here...

but most prefer a 458 or larger for moose .... incase they see some bear tracks out hunting
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Are you looking at buying or do you already have both caliber? If you're looking at one to buy then think of what else you may hunt in the future. If you're not into bear hunting and don't think you ever will be then there's no need for the .338.

When I'm moose hunting I always have a bear tag in my pocket just in case I get an opportunity. For that reason I carry a .338.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    NEITHER!!!

you must have at a minimum...

a 375 ULTRA short long mag with 450 grain tSSSx;s x2 to even come close to meeting the requirements around here...

but most prefer a 458 or larger for moose .... incase they see some bear tracks out hunting
    I love it Vince!

I've actually quit hunting moose since my last howitzer got stuck in the mud. I hope that my permit will come through for my M1A1 tank, then I could have an effective moose rifle (120 mm smoothbore) and a safe place to sleep. I have heard that a 30/06 with 220 Partitions will often give one shot stops on the pesky mosquitoes, but I have no hard evidence to substantiate that claim.
    Last edited by 1Cor15:19; 07-27-2009 at 17:11. Reason: spelling

I prefer the .50 BMG

It's a tough choice, I couldn't decide either - so I got both. I usually carry the .338 when moose hunting, simply because I like how it handles and shoots.

If you've never shot a .338 before you may want to try a buddy's before buying one, some people don't like the kick; but if you've shot rifles for a few years, it wouldn't really be an issue.

Can't go wrong either way, just don't go overboard on the scope power!

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post

Can't go wrong either way, just don't go overboard on the scope power!
    Why not? How are you going to take that 750 yard shot without a high powered scope?
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    Why not? How are you going to take that 750 yard shot without a high powered scope?
    hmmm...750 yard shots...starting to make more sense now why SOMEONE is still chasing that elusive first moose.

Thumbs up 338 Win

338 win by far.......more down range energy........for longer shots 400 yards plus. Good shooting 225gr Nosler Accubond and Reloader 19 is my choice for reloads.

The closest contender the 300 Win mag.......adds a extra 100 yards to the 30-06.

The 338 win was made for Alaska!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post

Because there are really only two places in AK you can HONESTLY take those shots...

one is off the top of the captian cook

and the Sheriton is the other
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Because there are really only two places in AK you can HONESTLY take those shots...

one is off the top of the captian cook

and the Sheriton is the other
    What about Flat Top? Can even shoot at nice bulls off Flat Top too.

The 06 has enough powder and the 338cal has nice bullets and put together the 338-06 is a great round but both work fine in their own right.

Eagle River, Alaska by way of Mobile, Alabama

Vince, you a gal? I was wondering about the recoil, not really the target. Which is easier to handle. Should have made myself clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDREAMER View Post
    Vince, you a gal? I was wondering about the recoil, not really the target. Which is easier to handle. Should have made myself clearer.

lol not quite...

the 06 will be easier to handle... my wife shoots my 300 fine. she dont like the 338. at all...

i dont care for the 06... just cause i don't no particular reason...

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by AKDREAMER View Post
    The .338 is a significant step up in recoil from the 06. Hard, and sharp.

I'm a good sized feller' and I don't like the recoil of the .338. My '06 does just fine for me. I'd much rather shoot a .375 vs. a .338, but I really have no need for a round that size.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Ammo Costs

One more thing to consider if you're not a reloader - .338 factory ammo costs a lot. Target practice with the .338 takes a bigger chunk out of my wallet than the 06.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast