Thread: Primer longevity?

Default Primer longevity?

I made a really nice find in my shed the other day...about 5000 primers, mostly CCI Large Rifle, but a few Remington Large Rifle Magnums.. They have been in their original boxes inside another cardboard box for about 15 years. What are my odds that they are any good?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well only one way to find out....

call that brother in law you don't like
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I made a really nice find in my shed the other day...about 5000 primers, mostly CCI Large Rifle, but a few Remington Large Rifle Magnums.. They have been in their original boxes inside another cardboard box for about 15 years. What are my odds that they are any good?
    I would say your odds are excellent that they are fine. Give them a try.

If they were kept dry, they are probably fine. I've recently used primers that are 30 years old and can't tell a bit of difference when comparing with new primers.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I They have been in their original boxes inside another cardboard box for about 15 years. What are my odds that they are any good?
    100 %

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

DANG IT!!!!! would you guys all HUSH?!!!! i been telling my wife they have to be used up in 30 days or they go bad....!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I agree if they have been dry all this time they will be fine. However I would worry that in a shed in Alaska they may well have been subjected to ice condensation at some point. When I go dig through my shed in mid winter any little bit of mettle in there has frost all over it. Test and see, it don't cost nothing.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

A guy at the gun show last spring was selling, or trying to sell Herter's primers--dates back to the 1950's. He said they were good. "they fired the last time I tried them!!"
    NRA Lifetime Member

Odds are they are no good. I'll give you a dollar for the whole lot...

Marshall/Ak

Depends on your humidity and whether the shed was heated or not. I'm on the coast, and a year in an unheated shed will kill primers in their original packaging. The temp fluctuations cause lots of condensation and kill primers as reliably as flushing them down the toilet. I'd try them, but don't get your hopes up if shed isn't heated.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Depends on your humidity and whether the shed was heated or not. I'm on the coast, and a year in an unheated shed will kill primers in their original packaging. The temp fluctuations cause lots of condensation and kill primers as reliably as flushing them down the toilet. I'd try them, but don't get your hopes up if shed isn't heated.
    Thatís what I'm saying too, after a couple snow storms, sunny days, and minus nighttime temps everything in my shed is covered with heavy frost.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona