Thread: Scott Hudson Bay: jet foot height?

Default Scott Hudson Bay: jet foot height?

Relative to the bottom of the hull, how shallow (high) can you set the jet foot on a Hudson Bay w/ a 25 hp Yamaha jet? The "scallops" in the stern of the HB, and one user, indicate that the water will rise a little bit back there, allowing you to run the jet pump foot a hair above the bottom of the hull. No? Where do you guys set your pump foot? Thanks. j

Running a prop & a lift I could have the skag above the hull and it did not cavitate with
    10 to 12" of setback. Do not know on a jet. I was amazed that I could run a prop the high without cavatation. Only running a 8 hp at 11 MPH though.

Default OK

good to know the prop info for when/if i run it that way, too. dang; now i'll have to build a lift, too.... and the list goes on.... am about to herculine it. will post my experience/opinion/results. j

i was able to run mine about, if memory serves, 1-2 inches above the bottom of the hull. i used a 2x6 and plywood to buildup the transom and bolt and unbolt the rise. with this set up i could run 4'' of water trimmed out well.
    the 2x6 sits on the transom and the plywood inside to hold it in place and allow the motor to bolt to the rise.

Default great

Ultra: Thanks very much. I plan on getting the thing wet this weekend. Of special interest will be whether or not I just built a $4500 water tank. I lined the bottom w/ Herculiner; details forthcoming. j

Question How'd it work?

Got any pictures?

Default later

details of my experience forthcoming. too busy hopping from hunt to hunt. j

Default jet is not it

Here is a partial report; I will continue exploring. The Herc Liner is probably slowing me down more than expected, and it is not tough enough. It helped a lot, but it is coming off and I will prolly try Rhino HardLine next. I applied the Herc as per directions, contrary to my wish; their service rep said I needed the stipple roller, and subsequent rough texture, to get the rubber particles properly placed in the resin. Maybe so, but I'm sorry I listened to him. I did sand off the worst of the bumps, but it is nowhere near smooth. The jet pump is too slow for me, prolly somewhat due to the rough HercLiner: 11.5 mph w/ 700 lbs in the boat. I did not run the jet and un-screwed up hull so I could compare no-Herc to Herc. I finished building the trailer too close to trip time and had to coat and go. That is the price of going w/ a guy who has a day job and tight schedule! Also, I had to drop the jet foot to the bottom of the hull, maybe even a tad under, which was not satisfactory. My next motor will likely be a Mud Buddy. If round two fails, then I will either quit this madness and fly in w/ my Pro Pioneer, or get a narrow alum boat w/ a tunnel. Screw thunder. BTW: The 25 Yam is advertised here and on CL.... and a canoe and Mud Buddy may follow! Somebody buy the Yam so I can afford the MB! We ARE partners in this, right, old buddy, old pal?.... lol. Below is a pic or two of the bottom after bumping down the Ivishak, or dragging over a few riffles. Ouch. BTW: These are from the first trip; the second trip, different river, did a tad more damage to the Herc.
    Attached Images Attached Images