Thread: Airlines & Black Powder

Default Airlines & Black Powder

I've been a regular reader of these forums for a couple of years now and have learned alot from everyone's posts. I'm now anticipating my first hunt in Alaska, finally, and will be flying into Anchorage then Homer in May for a black bear hunt with a muzzleloader.

It looks like there's no way to travel with gunpowder (Triple Seven) so I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to get it to, or in, Homer.

Thanks

Default Save yourself the trouble

There is powder available in Anchorage and probably the Fred Meyers store in Homer. I would save myaelf the hastle of trying to bring it.
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Black powder on the airlines- NOPE! Homer, AK?

Quote Originally Posted by Toucan View Post
    I've been a regular reader of these forums for a couple of years now and have learned alot from everyone's posts. I'm now anticipating my first hunt in Alaska, finally, and will be flying into Anchorage then Homer in May for a black bear hunt with a muzzleloader.

It looks like there's no way to travel with gunpowder (Triple Seven) so I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to get it to, or in, Homer.

Thanks
    Toucan,

Correctomundo on the black powder issue. If you try to bring it in your luggage, you could end up as a guest of whatever state you're departing for Alaska. You should have no trouble finding it in Anchorage. Homer... mmmm... I dunno. HomerDave might chime in on this- he lives down that way I think.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

You can buy say 20 45/120 cases and load them as ammo . As long as they are loaded and in a qualified container you can ship them in your luggage. All you need to do is unload them when you get to your camp. Just don't crimp the bullets and you should be alright. Jim

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Toucan View Post

Thanks

Toucan

If you find yourself here in Homer give me a call if you need a can of Black powder .I do not have 777 but I do have Goex 1F,2F,3F .
    I do not have a muzzle loader but I do have a 45-120 ,45-70 that I load for .
    PM me if you need any.
    THERE IS NO FREDDYS IN HOMER !!!!!!!!!!!! and no plans to build one .BUMMER

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies. That's a great idea to load up some 45/120's for travelin purposes.

RR, thanks for the generous offer. I've tried Goex Cleanshot before but my gun didn't shoot well with it. I'll probably end up buying a can of 777 in Anchorage and then leaving it behind in Homer.

I was hoping there would be a little gun shop in Homer since we may even fly there as well.

The only other option would be to ship some loads in advance but even that isn't easy to do anymore.

Toucan

No prblem Toucan .
    We do have a couple small semi pawnshop gunshops !!!!!!
    No black powder or 777 that I know of here in Homer .
    I will be making trips to anchorage in the next couple weeks . If you decide to fly right into Homer I can pick up a can of 777 for ya if you want , if not no big deal ?? No problem .
    I go through powder pretty fast .

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

They sell Black Powder at the Gear shed on east end road in homer. Im pretty sure they sell tripple 7. Also Ulmers sells some powder and reloading components, But ive found a bigger selection of powders at the gearshed.

Thumbs up Thanks all.

Problem solved. Spoke to Charlie at Gear Shed and they carry 777. Thanks again for the info and offers to help me out.
    Where I live, that kind of hospitality is more rare than an honest politician!

777 is not blackpowder and is authorized to ship as smokeless powder. Check it out on the side of your 777 container. I load up my 300 Ultra cases with a volume measured 100 gr. of 777, my muzzleloader charge, and slightly seat the bullets. At the destination I dump the 300 Ultra charges into my speed loaders.

Forgot to add to the previous post as I use a flintlock. Not sure what kind of ML you are using but caps are not allowed at all in your carry on or checked bags.