Thread: Manufacturer's Advertised Speed

Default Manufacturer's Advertised Speed

Has anybody ever bought a brand new bow, set it up exactly as the manufacturer detailed for the advertised FPS (draw length, arrow weight, draw weight), chronographed the arrow, and met or exceeded that advertised speed?
    Not come close mind you, but actually shot at or exceeded the speed advertised?
    How many of you shoot the IBO standard of 30", 70lbs, 350 grains? What is your draw length? I wonder how many archers, percentage wise, shoot at a 30" draw length?
    I don't see much mention of AMO anymore. Are there any manufacturers that still use that standard?

I have had several bows that have met or exceeded IBO speeds. Add a peep and a D-loop and kiss 10 fps away right off the bat
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Smile

My BowTech bow manual/instructions shows the effect on FPS due to changes from their standard. Basically, you could lose 10-20 fps without much thought or effort.

One of which was peep sight/d-ring reduce the FPS. I suspect my Ripcord reduced my FPS as well. I am shooting a 400 gr. arrow, so it all adds up.

If I was so inclined, I would remove all the stuff, get a lighter arrow and check on the chrono. I am sure I could get something over 300 fps. The only useful purpose would to beat my check, and get on the Forum and tell you all about it.

I have a set-up that works, arrows have consistent flight, and they land where I aim. Last time I checked, I hit between 280 and 290 fps. That is good enough. With that, I will continue my focus on making well placed shots, all the time.

Absolutely BigD. Accuracy though is not the question. What a person hunts with is not the question. Just curious about "truth in advertising".
    A 30' draw adds how much to arrow speed? Hence my question about your draw lengths. I wonder percentage wise how many guys measure out a full 30" draw? I see neither you or Doug noted yours.
    It seems the old AMO was a much better guideline for "speed". That is if somebody thinks speed is important. Obviously the manufacturers think it is important to list it regularly as one of the first selling points on a bow.
    Just curious about it all.

Wink Monkey Arms

I draw at 30" even with a d-loop. But I'm also 6'2" with abnormally long arms.

All my bows that I have test came with adjustable cams. They were adjusted to correct 30" AMO draw and test. Cams cannot just be turned to the factory 30" mark and be correct. They are often off. I adjust the strings and cables to set proper axle to axle length and brace height. I then make fine adjustments to set the bow at the proper draw length.

I shoot my bows at 29 1/4" draw length. I set them at 30" just to test and satisfy my curiosity. You will generally lose about 10 fps per inch of draw under 30". Some bows outperform this, but in general it's pretty close.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

When I got my bow, based upon my measurements, 30" draw should have been right. However, after a few shots, I got a cam to adjust is to 29.5. 30 was too much. After more shooting, I adjusted further to a 29" draw.

So, at 29", I am at 290 fps, with all the equipment and heavier arrows than the standard. I am imagine going the exta inch and minimal hardware, and 350 grain arrows, I am pretty certain I would get the advertised IBO speed.

I think right now I am shooting 28" with a D loop. That would mean by what Doug said that I am losing about 20fps. That is a lot. If I got rid of the D loop, I'd gain an inch, or 10fps.
    I used to shoot right off the string, but sure like the D loop and idea behind it. I'm not sure I want to gain the speed to give up the loop.
    290fps in the real world seems screaming fast to me. At that speed BigD do you have any issues with broadhead flight? Wonder what your difference in impact is if you use the same pin at 20 and 30 yards?

I have never chrono'd my bow, but i have always wanted to just to see what it did. I bought a Bow tech 82nd and it was one of the fastest bows on the market last year.

Default 290 fps

My pins are approximately spaced at 10 yard intervals starting at 20 yards. There is enough difference in arrow flight to to use seperate pins for 20 and 30 yards.

I shoot 100 grain tips, and use HellRazors broadheads. I did not experience any difference between field points and BH's.

Default bow speed

I bought a Mathews Monster and it is shooting 328 with 502 grain arrow threw the chrono, my hoyt Vulcan is shooting 289 with same set up. I shoot 28.5 with D-loop

Default Wowsa

Brslar, that sounds simple "monstrous". What is the draw weight on both bows?
    Do you recall the advertised speeds? Man, 328fps is getting there lickity split.

Default bow speed

the draw weight on vulcan is 73 poundsand draw weight on monster is arround 75 pounds. Vulcan spped was advertised aout 325 I beleive ans monster arround 350, with IBO weight arrows not hunting arrows and bare bow only not set up

Isn't this like trying to get an automobile to meet its MPG rating?

Hit or miss at best...

Taylor

-[]------->

Default not really

There are way too many variables in a car's mpg rating. Temps, wind, terrain, number of stops, gos, braking. On and on. Even how fat the driver is makes a difference. I think they even say something about averages.
    Archery Manufacturers set up 3 specific things to get their advertised speed. Very black and white. Either the bow can do it, or not.
    Mark, how does your bow do, and what is your draw length? Nope, not writing a book. Just wondering.