Thread: Blueberries yet??

Talking Blueberries yet??

Has anyone seen blueberries that are ready yet?? (other than fairbanks) Thinking from the Valley to the Kenai.
    Thanks!!

still green here on the kenai

A recent (and bigger) berry thread has been getting site traffic in the hiking forum:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...829#post540829

Gorgeous pics of the berries too!

Up along the slopes of Blacktail Rocks in Eagle River the berries are starting to turn blue, but they're not quite there yet. In two weeks they'll be ready.

Default blueberries in Fairbanks?

Where would one go to find blueberries in the Fairbanks area? Does anyone know if there are any near or around North Pole? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I was picking raspberries yesterday (along Turnagain Arm) and a woman I spoke to said the blueberries are doing well along the Chena River outside of Fairbanks.

If anyone's interested, I was at Hatcher Pass the other day and the blueberries were non-existent and the little bushes looked terrible, with hardly any leaves in some cases. Out the Glenn near Sheep Mountain the reliable patches looked scroungy a couple days ago. I don't know if the hot, dry weather this summer has stunted berries in Southcentral, but the raspberries I've picked look to be no more than 2/3 normal size. Based on how ripe they are, I'd say they're done growing and this is going to be one of those years where you're lucky if you get into a patch with a lot of large berries. (A guy I talked to yesterday while fishing told me he lives in Wasilla and the raspberries on his property are fantastic size and very abundant, so I suppose it depends on where you look for them. He wouldn't give me directions to his property.....)

Quote Originally Posted by Bibico View Post
    I was picking raspberries yesterday (along Turnagain Arm) and a woman I spoke to said the blueberries are doing well along the Chena River outside of Fairbanks.

If anyone's interested, I was at Hatcher Pass the other day and the blueberries were non-existent and the little bushes looked terrible, with hardly any leaves in some cases. Out the Glenn near Sheep Mountain the reliable patches looked scroungy a couple days ago. I don't know if the hot, dry weather this summer has stunted berries in Southcentral, but the raspberries I've picked look to be no more than 2/3 normal size. Based on how ripe they are, I'd say they're done growing and this is going to be one of those years where you're lucky if you get into a patch with a lot of large berries. (A guy I talked to yesterday while fishing told me he lives in Wasilla and the raspberries on his property are fantastic size and very abundant, so I suppose it depends on where you look for them. He wouldn't give me directions to his property.....)
    Try picking further from the road, those bushes have probably ben hit hard already this year. The bluberry pickers that they sell with the wire probably removed the leaves.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

There are tons of blueberries in Hatchers.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed