Thread: Avet

Default Avet

I won an Avet LX 6/3 in a drawing. I've seen them but don't know anything about them. It was filled with 65# Spyder Wire. I'd like to buy a nice rod to clamp it to. I thought I might use it mostly jigging for Lings. Probably halibut a little too. Do any of you have this reel? Suggestions for a nice rod?

Default Nice Rod?

Shimano Trevala F, $200 and a pure pleasure to fish. Sensitive, strong and very light!
    Mike

There are lots of good jigging rods. I'm partial to the Seeker blue lightnings, but there are many other fine rods, OTI, Jigging Master, Van Staal, etc. The only rod I'd avoid is the Penn Torque, as I've heard reports of them breaking.

Default Dont Bother with Avets...

Just trade it for my Zebco pushbutton, trust me. Avets are great, you'll love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    Shimano Trevala F, $200 and a pure pleasure to fish. Sensitive, strong and very light!
    Mike

X2!!!

This rod is incredible. I bought one for my mother as a birthday present last year, and spoiled myself with one this year. Extreme light to hold and handle, yet has more backbone than most "broomstick" rods have. Soldotna Trustworthy Hardware carries these rods and sells them for $95! A great rod at $200, a no brainer at $95.

Great reel, I have 3, but no 2-speeds. My 6.0 is on a 7' Daiwa Interline, light jigging setup but plenty for the biggest halibut. Two 4.1 reels are on Trevalas with even lighter line. Wonderful rigs. My Trevalas are a bit shorter, but still awesome for jigging. That's a good win, and the 65 lb line should be perfect!

Thanks Guys, for the rod suggestions. Do any of you know where I can look at the Trevala F series? I was at Dimond Center yesterday and wandered over to Sportsman's and they didn't have them. B & J's maybe?

B&J's has a huge selection of jigging rods, ask Tom to show you the various rods and mention the reel you'll be using. If you want to handle seeker rods, go to Tackle Repair on Arctic. I've never fished a trevala, but when I've done flex tests to me they seem to have most of their flex occuring at the tip, and a very stiff backbone. Other rods flex over a larger percentage of the rod. Not good or bad, just different.

There have been huge advances in jigging rods the past few years, rods that feel like a salmon rod in the hand (lightweight) can handle amazingly large fish. And when you combine that with a lighter reel, you can fish all day w/o wearing yourself out.

I've been replacing my conventional but rods with jigging rods the past couple seasons, and next year I'll only have one conventional butt rod, for those that are gluttons for punishment.