Thread: 223 dies for 5.56x45 brass

Default 223 dies for 5.56x45 brass

looking at my AR brass collection i have about 25% nato cases and want to hear some feedback on using 223 dies for these. ive not loaded for 223 and have no dies yet, any suggestions would be appreciated. im not looking at high volume now just wanting to load some hunting rounds for this winter. thanks
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final. You need to learn to be slow in a hurry! Wyatt Earp.

I have loaded 5.56 NATO with RCBS dies and had no problems except that I did break (bend) a couple of decapping pins. The crimp on the NATO cases is tough on the pins. Dillon has a Super Swagger 600 product that will really remove the primers easily, but it cost almost 100 bucks - product number 672-20095. You can purchase the decapping pins from RCBS for a few bucks which may be the better way to go. You will face to ream out the priming pockets too or you will not be able to seat the primer.

Have fun I have done 1000's for 223 over the years and just change the bent pins as they happen.

Art

Agree. I load .223 or 5.56 with .223 dies and have been doing it for years. I once read where an author claimed they are not interchangeable but for the life of me I do not understand why.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by 70'sHunter View Post
    I have loaded 5.56 NATO with RCBS dies and had no problems except that I did break (bend) a couple of decapping pins. The crimp on the NATO cases is tough on the pins. Dillon has a Super Swagger 600 product that will really remove the primers easily, but it cost almost 100 bucks - product number 672-20095. You can purchase the decapping pins from RCBS for a few bucks which may be the better way to go. You will face to ream out the priming pockets too or you will not be able to seat the primer.

Have fun I have done 1000's for 223 over the years and just change the bent pins as they happen.

Art

Unless I'm missing something with mine, the super swager only swages the primer pocket crimp, it doesn't de-cap.

x2 on using 223 dies for 5.56 brass. Never had a problem with it myself.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

The dimensions of the 5.56x45 Nato brass and the 223 Remingotn brass are the same externally and the 223 dies can be used for both and some are so marked. The 223 Remingoton SAAMI dimensions of the loaded cartridge are different and the internal caapacity of 5.56 is less than 223. Also the chambers of the 5.56 and the 223 are different. 5.56 should not be fired in a 223 chamber but vice versa is ok.

Loading dies are for the same external dimensions so they will work. And ditto on the decapping pins, some of the primers are really stuck in the pockets so have plenty of pins on hand. Nice stash of brass.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by bgreen View Post
    Unless I'm missing something with mine, the super swager only swages the primer pocket crimp, it doesn't de-cap.

x2 on using 223 dies for 5.56 brass. Never had a problem with it myself.

You are correct and I should have read my answer over before submitting it...... You can use this but in the 22 version http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=636747

I coulld not find the version for 223 on Midway but maybe you can.

One last try and I found the version for 223 http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=297408

Art

I just decaped nearly 1100 once fired LC 5.56 cases using a Lee universal decapping die and had no problems. Still need to run them thru the dillon swager. I think that this is one step in the reloading process that will allow a beer or four to be involved.

Default 223 vs 5.56

thanks for the info guys, i can search the internet for hours and not come up with jack. but one thing i came across was the case capacity difference between the two, how much does this alter the load data from the 223 to 5.56? i read that 5.56 cases can handle higher pressures does this compensate for the charge variation? im sure ill have more ?'s as this hopefully continues.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final. You need to learn to be slow in a hurry! Wyatt Earp.