Thread: Free newbie advice for the IBEP test.

Default Free newbie advice for the IBEP test.

Make sure you don't leave a tip in a 3d targets when you remove your arrow.

I lost one at the 3rd station, and on the 4th I managed to nock and fire my arrow without realizing the tip was gone. Needless to say I did not pass the first time through.

The instructor is allowed at his/her discretion to run the course a 2nd time. Due to his good nature and my good fortune I was successful on the second pass.

Thanks to everyone who volunteers and supports that program to keep it going. Particularly those of you who were working this past Saturday.

Nate

Default Good Advice

I didn't lose a tip, but I do recall difficultly pulling the arrow from the target. If you twist the arrow to remove it, make sure you twist it such that the tip gets tighter on the shaft.

Nate you are to be congratulated my friend that's allot of stress to recover form. I know shooting with all those folks watching had me as nervous as a woman of ill reputation in church! Had I had a equipment failure like that so early in the course I don't think I'd have done as well.

Yes the folks watching absolutely make me more nervous than shooting at game!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Just Some Insight

If the instructor alows it....RANGE FINDER, RANGE FINDER, RANGE FINDER!!!!! I didn't have one when I went through, but the instructor, bless his heart, let me wait until after everyone else was done shooting so that I could get in some last minute practice. I spent that time pacing off the distances.

Or practice random distances so you don't have to rely on a gadget.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

First time I took it I thought the first shot was way farther than it was and missed on the first two shots from nerves, I think a range finder would be a good tool, however after shooting trad in the woods all summer I think range finders shouldn't be relied upon at all, its not that hard.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Most folks had rangefinders when i took the test. I was too cheap to buy one. Then again all the shots were closer than 35 yds.

I figure that in a real life hunting situation, if an animal is closer than say 30 yds, Im not gonna mess around trying to range it. I'll be too busy trying to get the bow drawn without being seen....

Default Agreed

I do agree that a range finder shouldn't be a crutch. I don't use one when I hunt. I'm very confident in judging my distances out to about 40-45 yards now. This wasn't the case back in those days. It took me about a year of constant practice and many arrows shooting from all distances and positions before I got to where I am now. Killed a grouse at close to 40 without a range finder last moose season.....it was the only thing I killed last moose season.....I was just suggesting that why take a chance at failing the easiest part of the test because you were too nervous, too quick, just didn't think the shot through well enough, or a various number of other reasons. Take the guess work out of a sure thing. I'm also not saying to go out and buy one just for the shoot (because I know someone will make a comment about that) I'm just saying that if you know someone that has one, barrow it and take it with you. If you feel you don't need when you go shoot then don't use it, at least you'll have it available. But I know that when I went to do my shoot I didn't have a lot of experaince under my belt and I really wished that I had one on me at that particular time. Would have saved me some giggles from the other guys while I was out there pacing off my distances.

If I was a new, nevus, compound guy I'd take one to the test.....just pointing out it's better to put in the practice for in the field. Also when this came up last, I did agree one might be helpful in conditions like those on the north slope. Where judging distance is tougher, especially for the beginner.
    BHA Member

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Or practice random distances so you don't have to rely on a gadget.

+1 here... i have an OLD bushnell RF... 50 yard min... out to 500...

works great for setting up the shooting ranges...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Smile Range Finder

Thanks for the info on the range finder. I didn't know you could use them for the field test. Just passed the online written test today and will be waiting for the ok to sign up for a field test. One in Soldotna on the 3rd, but I may not get the approval in time. I've hunted in Washington, Montana, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Michigan successfully with a bow without a need for a certificate, but haven't even thought of it for years while here in Sterling because I didn't want the hassle of the tests. I've been practicing a lot with the my Darton compound at 55# and seem to be doing ok. Switched to carbon arrows that seem to fly a lot straighter (haven't killed anything with them yet) and am now using a release (Whoa! What a difference that made). So I'm hoping to pass the field test but was worried about how accurate with estimates of yardage I have to be. Appreciate your help. I'm one of the old guys and don't want to hang up my bow or my spurs yet.

Thanks, again.

Mike

Default Still have my ol Darton as well....

though I did upgrade back in 2007....what a difference! Only one person had a rangefinder when I took my certification (wasn't me) and he didn't pass the test anyhow.
    While I DO have a rangefinder, I didn't feel the need to use on at the test. Wasn't anything under 30 yds, and using the gap between the 20 and 30 yd pin worked just fine ...
    Practice practice practice. Not just with the bow, but looking at yardages. Get familiar with the 'look' of 30 yds, 20 yds, 40 yds, etc.. Rangefinder is nice to have as a back up....or, if you are setting up where you 'think' the caribou are going to wander in, you can range the distances to likely spots. Otherwise, you can do just fine without it.

Default Just Finished the class today!

And did not know ahead of time that I could bring my range finder. Didn't end up making much of a difference--but would have been a nice safety blanket.

I shot traditional for years and just picked up my first compound since 96'--thanks Screaming Eagle Archery for hooking me up on such short notice.

The biggest problem I ran into was getting my arrows out. I thought we might have to leave one in the black bear target. Even with two of us tugging away--it took a while to break her loose.

Great time. Been meaning to take the class for quite some time and glad I finally did it.

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Talking Qualified last night

Did the shoot test last night. Great course and it was alot of fun. I did not take out a range finder, but most of the hunter out there had them and used them. Even knowing the distance these hunter where still mising the mark.
    Just goes to say that nothing replaces lot of pratice with your equipment and from different positions.
    Hates off the the Fish and Game fun course.
    Last edited by FishingBum; 08-04-2009 at 09:15. Reason: change wording

Thumbs up WTG FishBum

Good work getting qualifed!

Everybody that practices, and knows their equipment well, have a high chance of passing the first time. It is those who show up with new equipment, out of the box, or borrowed equipment that they dont know well, have a hard time passing the first time.

Yes, F&G did an excellent job with the course. However, it could not be possilbe without the volunteer instructors to put on the class and administering the shoot. Many thanks to them.

Default Way to Go

Glad you passed the tests ok. I'm scheduled now for Aug 15th in Soldotna. Wish me luck. Thanks again for tips on this site.

Mike

Default range finders

go out and guess distances to old stumps and shoot those
    I went first on most of the shots on our test and I didnt have a rangefinder. almost missed the bear at the end shooting downhill, close one. but if you are good at estiamting range it will make you that much better. if you arent and are going to use the rangefinder while target shooting you best be prepared to do the animal justice in the field and use it then too, even if he's walking away at a good pace.
    my favorite part of the test was the metal dear with the hollow bullseye, my buddy and I went first and both nailed it at 20 yards, but a few others werent so lucky. That part is a real test of how confident you are with your weapon. if you are too nervous to hit a metal deer in the vitals at 20 yards becaue you might hurt your arrows then you best not take any shots over 10 yards in the feild lol.
    Justin

Smile Adventures

Forgot to thank all of you for the advice. Passed the test 8/15. Appreciate all your help. Didn't use any range finder. Had a problem on one target and had to shoot over, but no problem second chance. My problem was my stance as I was told later. Too closed and I was nicking my arm guard. Once I was over that, everything went fine. Funny how that never happens when practicing at home.................

Mike