Thread: Dry flies?

Default Dry flies?

Will i have any luck catching salmon on dry flies that float on the top of the water??

Will the salmon jump and bite it??

Generally speaking, no.

The pink pollywog for silvers is an interesting exception.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Silvers and chums...

Silvers primarialy are known for topwater action and occationally on particular rivers like the Alagnak in SW AK they too will go after opperings on the surface.

Generally speaking the best odds for top water action are shear numbers of fish, closer to the ocean the better (but not nessisary), and reduced or no fishing pressure.

Very untypical for this fish to come out of the water after a wog, but it does happen, just very rare, typically take is shark like chase followed by sipping the fly off the surface.

Pinks will destroy topwater attractants, especially in bright pink.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I hooked a 40 pound king on a size 20 adams once AK trout was there as a witness.

Also one time I was guiding I was trying to get my clients into a grayling and a chum tipped up and ate the stimulator, it was nuts.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Spawning salmon....

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I hooked a 40 pound king on a size 20 adams once AK trout was there as a witness.

Also one time I was guiding I was trying to get my clients into a grayling and a chum tipped up and ate the stimulator, it was nuts.
    Spawning salmon go nuts over indicators, esp if they are pink, red, or orange..... Even if they are not in spawning phase, but staging they are very aggresive to anything in or on top of the water.

Interesting to hear.

Learn something new everyday I guess.

Like just yesterday I learned a drunk man will show no pain after crashing a scooter into a telephone pole, but will cry like a school girl when an ER nurse tries to clean his wounds
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Funny...

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Interesting to hear.

Learn something new everyday I guess.

Like just yesterday I learned a drunk man will show no pain after crashing a scooter into a telephone pole, but will cry like a school girl when an ER nurse tries to clean his wounds
    Dan, if you ever get the chance to fish the famed lower Alagnak for chums it will knock your socks off. We are talkin litterally 5 weeks of non-stop catching chums untill your arms fall off... The top water action is specific to several low gradient sand sholes that flood w/ the tide and the chums get stranded out there in 8-24" of water and you sneak up and stalk them on the surface like fishing for bonefish on the flats!

Sounds awesome man. I will keep that in mind.

Default Ty

When do the chums come into the Alagnak? Making a trip there later this year.

Default They start w/ the kings Late June...

Quote Originally Posted by BGEBROWN View Post
    Really in earnist doesn't get good until early July and just gets better and better through early august.... These are the nicest, hardest fighting chums I have encountered in the state, combined w/ endless number of gravel bars filled with these striped monsters.

THey are there right now, Hadn't heard of any silvers yet when I left a week ago. Its super low this year. Kings never showed up. Green Drakes should be coming off right now, saw a few coming off when I left.

Quote Originally Posted by TYNMON View Post
    Spawning salmon go nuts over indicators, esp if they are pink, red, or orange..... Even if they are not in spawning phase, but staging they are very aggresive to anything in or on top of the water.

Yea I've had many fish eat indicators, then I'd switch to a popper and they'd stop. Also had a silver look at a popper at the mouth of willow once

Default Alagnak...

Below is some info you may enjoy reading...

http://www.flyfisherman.com/alaska/t...mon/index.html

http://www.fishalaskamagazine.com/ar...5_Alaganek.htm