Thread: TM940 Bull Moose Tier II hunt

Default TM940 Bull Moose Tier II hunt

I drew a tier two bull moose tag for TM940 Beaver/Stevens Village along the Yukon River. Anybody have knowledge of whether to float via raft or fly-in and ruck/hike for big bulls? Any experience or knowledge would be helpful.

Lee

Smile

Looks like you hit the jack pot with the permits this yr,my advise to you is too get a big freezer....good luck and stay safe...
    I ♥ Big Sheep

yep and an AK airlines credit card. By the time you finish paying for all of this you should have enough miles to take the missus on a vacation...

Default No good for us

My brother and I drew it a few years back and I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you might be out of luck. You need to get permission from the villages up there to hunt,we got shut down.F&G in Fairbanks couldn't believe we got drawn, they suggested that we go to the Rex. We met with a biologist from the Yukon Flats National Wildlife Refuge and he said the moose numbers are low and that we can't hunt there because we don't live in any of the villages even though we have a permit. It's that state/federal thing,who ever applied for a permit got one but doesn't mean you can hunt. Maybe things have changed. Do some SERIOUS research before you head up to hunt. My $0.02

Default Tm940

Thankfully,
    I was able to get my moose via bow at home now I can comcentrate on the other critters my family got draw tags for.

Thanks for the information.

Good hunting!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

another waisted tag... unlike some of the states that sell unused tags, AK they just go away.

why hunt at home if your going out so that tag gets waisted? or why put in if your going to hunt at home

heck your tag was a gimme your neighbor could have used that moose..or that tag..

sorry dont mean to vent but when there is so much compititon for the limited resources.. it seems a waist
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    another waisted tag...
    better than a wasted moose......I put in for tags every year just like everyone else...I don't care how coveted the tag is that I draw, I shoot the first legal moose I see, where ever I see it...doesn't matter if the tag gets used, what matters if my freezer gets filled....

you're telling me that if you had a moose tag for a far away unit and you had a moose in your yard, you'd pass on the sure thing?....

I would never pass up a sure thing to 'maybe' get a moose elsewhere....if you would pass up a moose in your yard to 'hopefully' get a large one somewhere else then your priorities are skewed....and that my friend, is a waste....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

TJM nicely said, I agree.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    better than a wasted moose......I put in for tags every year just like everyone else...I don't care how coveted the tag is that I draw, I shoot the first legal moose I see, where ever I see it...doesn't matter if the tag gets used, what matters if my freezer gets filled....

you're telling me that if you had a moose tag for a far away unit and you had a moose in your yard, you'd pass on the sure thing?....

I would never pass up a sure thing to 'maybe' get a moose elsewhere....if you would pass up a moose in your yard to 'hopefully' get a large one somewhere else then your priorities are skewed....and that my friend, is a waste....
    Na... i am that that hard on it T. just shaking my head. but wonder at it some times... like i said was just venting .. after all the talks and arguments on it this spring..

but yes if i had my coveted tags i would pass the one up in my yard... becasue i had planned on that hunt for a long time.

same as if i draw a cow tag... thats what i am hunting.. rather then take a bull and waist that tag for some one else.. to much competition for them..

I understand that every one is going to things there own way. and set there own standards... thats fine..

but perhaps by commenting on it.. some thing a little different may happen the next draw period..

when your putting in for that tag do you ask your self..WELL WHAT if i draw it? where do i really want to hunt?

you will notice in the Drawing supplement from last spring that many of the new hunts up north here are set up exactly like that now..

that if you draw that tag ... that is the hunt your doing.. to ensure that enough chances are spread out around the community.

like i said.. i am not Really pissing on it.. just putting on a light of a tender subject for some to consider this next draw period that is only 2.5 month away.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Funny part is drawing a TIER II tag and not knowing anything about the area!! Another piece of evidence that the system is worthless...
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Funny part is drawing a TIER II tag and not knowing anything about the area!! Another piece of evidence that the system is worthless...
    Was wondering the same thing. Sounds like anyone who applied, got one.

That tag has about 50 applicants and 75 tags. The problem is that you can not hunt state or federal land unless you live in the area. Most of the rest of the land isnative owned, so unless you are a member of that native corp that is out. That leaves below the mean high water mark for you to hunt. It is doable, but you must have a boat that can run the Yukon.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    That tag has about 50 applicants and 75 tags. The problem is that you can not hunt state or federal land unless you live in the area. Most of the rest of the land isnative owned, so unless you are a member of that native corp that is out. That leaves below the mean high water mark for you to hunt. It is doable, but you must have a boat that can run the Yukon.

okay somthng is not right here... you cant hunt state land unless you live there?

in that case you have to live there to apply.

also th OP has other threads on HOW do I hunt moose? so was unaware of the tags he was applying for and that is my entire point to all this..

meet on face book here

oops,

NOTE: Under Federal subsistence hunting regulations, federal public lands within GMU 25D West are closed to moose hunting except by residents of Beaver, Stevens Village, and Birch Creek. Except for navigable waters, most of the remaining lands are privately owned.

I did not mean to include state land.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

No, mud, the system isn't worthless, you just don't understand it.
    Tier II permits are NOT drawn. They are applied for. The application is scored and higher scores get permits. In this case, less people apply than there are permits, so every applicant get's a permit.
    There are also federal permits available (only to locals), and obviously those are the permits the locals are using. No application for them, just sign up. That is why the states Tier permits are underapplied for.
    A little education here, folks..............Tier II hunts only exist in places where there are way more people to hunt than animals available. They are not a high success type of permit. Very seldom will applying for a Tier II permit give a non local any decent chance of success.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    A little education here, folks..............Tier II hunts only exist in places where there are way more people to hunt than animals available. They are not a high success type of permit. Very seldom will applying for a Tier II permit give a non local any decent chance of success.

Oh, I'm WELL aware of how it works. You illustrate my point with the above statement though.

If Tier II - "only exist in places where there are way more people to hunt than animals available.", then why are there more permits than people applying? If they can't fill the Tier II numbers, simply put it out as a normal drawing permit!

The system is designed to give locals an edge due to the points system. It looks like, in this case, the locals (or statewide for that matter) aren't hunting in numbers to justify a "Tier II" status...
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Oh, I'm WELL aware of how it works. You illustrate my point with the above statement though.

If Tier II - "only exist in places where there are way more people to hunt than animals available.", then why are there more permits than people applying? If they can't fill the Tier II numbers, simply put it out as a normal drawing permit!

The system is designed to give locals an edge due to the points system. It looks like, in this case, the locals (or statewide for that matter) aren't hunting in numbers to justify a "Tier II" status...
    Sorry mud, you still don't understand just HOW Tier II works. Tier II is determined by ANS (amount necessary for subsistence) and AH (allowable harvest). AH is determined by F&G thru animal counts. ANS is set by BoG. When AH exceeds ANS by a certain number, we have general season hunts with harvest tickets. Everyone can play, even non res.

When AH is less than ANS............we have Tier II. Hunts in Tier II CANNOT be changed to a draw. They are subsistence hunts for areas with low species numbers and geared for those who have C&T (customary and traditional) for that area and specie.

The reason this particular hunt has non local permit holders, like archangel, is the locals are getting the federal permits, which they are exclusively eligible for, and completely ignoring the states Tier II application process.

Some species, Sheep and Griz/Browns are managed as trophies. You won't see Tier hunts for them (some small areas have C&T for sheep). But species managed as, for want of a better word, FOOD, will be in a Tier hunt system when their numbers are down low enough.

Any game management "system" will have areas people are dissatisfied with. That doesn't mean it is "worthless".
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!