Thread: starting again after a hiatus from archery

Default starting again after a hiatus from archery

How do you start shooting again after an extended layoff? What do you do, to help yourself get back up to the point that you were at when you quit? Do you shoot fewer arrows per end? Back the draw weight down? Shoot a lighter draw bow? Exercise? Shoot multiple times per day?
    What tips can you pass on to an archer that stopped shooting for a while and is ready to go again?

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    How do you start shooting again after an extended layoff? What do you do, to help yourself get back up to the point that you were at when you quit? Do you shoot fewer arrows per end? Back the draw weight down? Shoot a lighter draw bow? Exercise? Shoot multiple times per day?
    What tips can you pass on to an archer that stopped shooting for a while and is ready to go again?
    I took quite a long hiatus and for me it just started out with shooting fewer arrows per session and concentrating on form. I didn't back my draw weight down or anything like that but did shoot a lot at a short distance (10 yds) before moving back. I shot a couple of times a day and I guess the most important thing that I can say is to just keep at it. Practice, practice, practice.

I just got back into it after having shoulder problems that prevented me from holding a bow at full draw. I did reduce the draw weight a little, its still 55 now and I think I'll leave it at that. Ak hunter gave good advice. I shoot fewer arrows and took more time between "sets" to work my way back into it. Also concetrated on form and consistant anchor point. It comes back fairly quickly.

Default Myself

Any more, I seem to have a lot of stops and starts. I know that when I do start up, pulling what I left off with feels like too much. I don't want the poundage to become part of the shot process. I don't want to focus on the strain. I back the bow down to just below the 60lb lower limit, somewhere around 57lbs. No matter what shape I am in, that seems very doable for me.
    I also shoot fewer arrows per end, and fewer ends. Normally I shoot 5 arrows per end. I guess that takes me back to the days I used to compete. When just starting up, I'll often shoot only 3 arrows per end. I find I don't strain that way, and again, nothing negative enters my mental shot process.
    I never shoot until I am tired. I quit while I still have good focus, and I quit on a good release.