Thread: 338 WM Cast Bullet load.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default 338 WM Cast Bullet load.

I'm looking for a cast bullet load for my 338 WM.

The bullets are 212 grains, and I have 500 of them from Montana Bullet Works. They are heat treated, and are BHN 22.

I have some SR 4759 powder on hand, and some Unique, and a bit of 4227, but I don't wanna use a pistol powder. I would prefer using the SR 4759, or some other powder.

I'd like to get velocities approaching 2,000 fps.

I'd look in the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual, but I don't have one.

I would appreciate hearing from someone who has a load, or has the Lyman Manual.

Thanks Again
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

If it were me I'd use 4895, but 3031 would also probably work well. Varget and other powders close to the 4895 burn rate would all probably work well, but some might need a tuft of dacron, tissue, or some other filler.

Mike

I checked both the new and the older Lyman cast bullet manuals, and there's no load for SR4759 in either. It's been a few years now, but I used to use Lyman #2 alloy to cast plain-based, flat nosed bullets intended for the 33 Winchester and load them for a friend. As I recall, the bullet dropped from the mould just over 200 grains. His rifle seemed to prefer Unique and a velocity of around 1500 fps. For some reason I didn't get the loading details into my journal, so I'm about as useless to you as the Lyman manuals.

Have you tried going to the Hodgdon/IMR web site for 4759 loads? After that, I'd get back to MBW for a data source.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I have reduced load data for the 200 grain jacketed bullet in one of my Speer manuals, using SR 4759.

I'll start with that.

Thanks.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.