Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bring fire wood to kenai -- don't buy it!

Default Bring fire wood to kenai -- don't buy it!

For those who live in Wasilla and plan a trip down to the Kenai/Russian area campgrounds, please take notice:

Price for a bundle of wood in Wasilla -- 1.00
    Price of same-sized bundle of wood @ Cooper's Landing -- 5.99

At those prices surely you could find room somewhere in your truck or trailer to fit some in! Or do as we did. After fuming about 3 bundles costing us nearly 20 bucks, drive a few miles and find brush piles alongside the highway and stock up after unloading the truck and setting-up camp.

Default Great Post

I don't mind supporting the local economy, but, I despise being taken advantage of. Of course I don't have to pay the price, but the nerve of asking so much for what is free just about anywhere in Alaska!

SHAME ON THEM!

Tis the same price nearly everyone on the Peninsula is charging for firewood bundles for the last several years. It's about the same price at the main stores in Soldotna, too. The price is apparently what the market will bear, but I've always wondered who buys it. Figured it was out-of-state tourists as you'd think Alaskans would gather their own. They always start the season with stacks of $5 wood bundles and end the season with none. Not sure why they'd drop the price if folks are buying it that way.

And I also like what Phish says in the next post...
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

If you don't have firewood and can't find it, pay the price.

If you camp and can't find wood, step out of your diesel pusher and go for a quick walk.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Good reply, Phish. We were staying at Russian River campground @ Steelhead. Wood was scarce around the immediate site, so my cousin headed back out to the highway to load up the bed of his pick-up.

Default Confucious say:

He who does not get firewood in own back yard should pay market price in others' back yard and not *****.

You surely don't want to pay our gasoline prices down here either. One would think the oil fields and refineries were in Anchorage or the valley the way the prices are eh?

Firewood is easy to find.

Beer, on the other hand, ouch...

$15 for a six pack of Pale Ale....

It should at least come with some love lubricant so I'm not as sore

Oh well, that's what I get for extending the trip for a few days for more Red fishing.

I'm heading back down tomorrow after the weekenders leave. If anybody down there wants beer, shoot me a PM.

I'll trade it for firewood. A six pack should bring about two cords

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post

Oh well, that's what I get for extending the trip for a few days for more Red fishing.

I'm heading back down tomorrow after the weekenders leave. If anybody down there wants beer, shoot me a PM.

Just you or the whole family?

I might could be talked into hauling the raft down if'n someone wants to float for salmon/trout on the Upper....

Heck, I could even load up a bunch of last years firewood....Birch is always better....<grin>

wow you can burn firewood in the fred meyer parking lot??? I didn't know that!

We bought some firewood at Fred Meyer in Anchorage $6.39 each. On Elmendorf it is $5.00 a bundle, when and if they have any. The 2 bundles we did buy only lasted us about 8 hours.
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

Craigslist is the best bet. There's a guy that charges $5 per armload; paid him $50 and nearly filled up the truck. Birch and Spruce. I use to go where they were doing residential construction and get wood for free; don't know where they're doing construction this year though.

Tim

Default Yup...

Quote Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
    We bought some firewood at Fred Meyer in Anchorage $6.39 each. On Elmendorf it is $5.00 a bundle, when and if they have any. The 2 bundles we did buy only lasted us about 8 hours.
    ... if you can buy firewood bundles in Wassilla for $1.00, that is an ultra bargain. Fill up a truck and bring it down to resell at $4.00 and make a profit.

I'm going to call this guy in about two hours and cut some up, for free!

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/zip/1288610906.html

Tim

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i guess 5 bucks for some one to have spent time fuel and energy to cut, split, bundle and haul that wood... to a resale point ... should not be a consideration .....

at least that is how i look at it those very few times i wished for a camp fire and did not have the energy go look for it... figure folks pay 125-225 a cord for cut rounds, and dumped not neatly split and tied...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post

Love Lube. That got Alaska White Beer shot all over the screen. Love lube for your wood so your not sore. Oh yea Im gonna get in trouble for that one LOL

Id Rep you but I have to spread the love errrr lube or whatever around before I can again
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post

Id Rep you but I have to spread the love errrr lube or whatever around before I can again
    Chuck, keep your **** love lube away from me

Wanna float Friday? I can follow in the one man.

I'll follow you, the love lube comment has me nervous about having you behind me

Let me clarify:

My cousin purchases his bundles of wood at the convenience store adjacent to Carr's grocery. That price is only a dollar. Over at Brown Jug Liquor it's $4.99/bundle.

When we set up camp it is generally in the late afternoon no matter the campsite. It is just the time we arrive. He'll have his "starter" bundles ready to get a campfire going and it generally is from there we go out into the woods to gather a days supply to supplement it.

So basically, for those who may have a bad back, can't scout or stoop in the forest to gather wood, and/or handicapped, etc., then this post (and others in the thread) is a "heads up" of what to expect.

Thank you all for the replies. (Now just don't do the "supply vs demand" thing on me if you live in Wasilla -- that of, heading to that convenience store and buying all the dollar bundles!)

(Oh, if others in Wasilla or those in the surrounding area need some seasoned wood, there is a lot next door to me that has about four acres of cleared brush and timber just sitting near the woods for the taking. You'd need a chainsaw. Already have permission....It was out of this lot my cousin culled trees and built his own log beds, tables and nightstands.)

What convenience store? The Tesoro on the corner of Main and Parks?

A bundle of wood has to be more than one cubic foot of wood. 128 cubic feet of wood equals a cord. At a dollar a bundle I could get spit wood 50% cheaper than I could buy it anywhere. There is no way in HELL I would sell wood for LESS than $5 a bundle. It's a PIA to get the wood, split it, bundle it, deliver it to the retail outlet, etc.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default The wood at said convenience store..

... is imported from China, having been cut, split, and bundled by slave labor and brought over in the free space left amongst Wallmart stuff. Oh, and it was subsidized by the People's Republic, thus the $1.00 price tag.

Or....
    Maybe it's part of the stimulus package.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast