Thread: So Much For Making A Run To The Kenai Tonight!

Default So Much For Making A Run To The Kenai Tonight!

http://www.ktuu.com/Global/story.asp?S=10793508

This road is getting too crazy!

Yeah, I've seen some really crazy stuff going back and forth down their lately. Almost a few head-ons and many road ragers. You would think that since most people going down their are going fishing and camping and what not that they would be a little more relaxed on the drive.
    -

Per AST at 9:30 PM, the road will be closed for another 3-4 hours.

I was driving south down to yukon's camp on July 4th when traffic was held up for hours just up the hill from Ingram Creek.

Troopers, a couple ambulances, and the coroner's van whizzed by as I sat there waiting along with everyone else.

Head-on collision that involved 4 vehicles and a fatality.

And for what... to save a couple minutes?

Slow down folks.... it ain't worth it.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Another accident. Hopefully everyone involved is ok, but with a head on collision I doubt there were no casualties.

I was caught in the traffic after the accident on Friday evening. From 20 mile we headed back to Eagle River and headed out, again, Saturday morning. Today, on the drive back there were numerous dangerous drivers. I saw a truck pass a line of vehicles in the oncoming lane for atleast half a mile. It was only a matter of time I suppose.

Be safe out there.

We were nearly involved in a head-on collision by a Ford 3/4 ton last Sunday just outside Girdwood. The guy was trying to pass a vehicle in his lane, came fully into ours and we slammed on the brakes. Guess where my coffee went? Yep, everywhere!

Default Friday night

We were coming back from the Russian River Friday night and nearly had a couple of head-ons where people tried to pass without enough room. We musted have missed the accident at Girlwood by a few minutes- we were passed by the emergency vehicles heading south.

Alaska needs to put some teeth into our driving laws. Make driving with a suspended or revoked license a felony with at least a year in prison would be good start. If you are driving on a revoked licnese and kill someone lock them up for life with no parole. Executing them woulod be better but this liberal state does not have the death penalty.

Look at the punk that hit the construction lady in Wasila and left her in a wheel chair for life. He was was drunk and driving on a suspended license and only got 7 years. Odds are he will only spend about 3 years in jail and then be out driving again. Next time someone could be killed.

Making cell phone use by drivers illegal would be another life saving move.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Unless they put troopers on the road every mile, human nature (idiocy) is going to prevail.

The only way that this situation is ever going to be fixed is for the state to build more turn-outs (and enforce the 5 vehicle rule) and to make more passing lanes. It'll cost a ton of money but you can't put a price on people's lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Another accident. Hopefully everyone involved is ok, but with a head on collision I doubt there were no casualties.

I was caught in the traffic after the accident on Friday evening. From 20 mile we headed back to Eagle River and headed out, again, Saturday morning. Today, on the drive back there were numerous dangerous drivers. I saw a truck pass a line of vehicles in the oncoming lane for atleast half a mile. It was only a matter of time I suppose.

Be safe out there.
    Yeah I was on the other side of that trying to get home. The thing was after the accident the 1000+ cars lined up were actually driving with a brain afterwards, so YES it DOES take someone to get killed for people to drive responsibly. Sad.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

I think the only way they will ever stop the idiots from endangering people in the on coming lane is to divide the hiway. It's hard to cause a head on when there is a concrete barrier between the lanes.

And I'm sure that lasted for all of 10 minutes and they were back to driving like morons.

The only fix is to upgrade the highway to divided 4 lanes the entire length. Just picture something similar to the Glenn through Eagle River that runs from Anchorage all the way down to Cooper Landing.

You have to have a way for the bad drivers to safely pass without going into an oncoming lane. Requesting the slow vehicles to pull out doesn't work. Only 4 lanes will do it. Divided would be best, but even to just add the width to 4 lanes for the entire road would be extremely beneficial.

Last week I actually had a motorcycle pass me on the right shoulder on the south side of the pass. And I was doing 68mph... he must have been running about 85 on the shoulder and there was another dumbarse passing me in a pickup on the left at the same time. Not sure if they were racing or what, but all you can do is get the heck out of the way of such idiots.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

A fatal accident on Friday and then a fatal accident on Sunday. My condolances to the families of the children that died. My daughter wonders why some of those drivers on that road make me angry, because it could be her. I've learned patience on that road, the time saved is insignificant compared to what happens if there is an accident. There needs to be more enforcement on the road but the trooper numbers are just not there.
    I remember the road before they made all these improvements, speeds were slower. In some areas of that road, the cost of going to four lanes would make the Knik Arm bridge a bargain but should be looked at.

Thumbs down Lots of vehicles....

I think one of the troopers described the situation with that stretch of highway, very well. He said that there's such an incredible amount of volume for a road that size, that it only takes swerving over the centerline for a second, and the odds of getting hit in that one second, are very high. I do, however, wish that I had a weekend to patrol for idiots along that stretch. Run 'em down. Pull them over, and kick the **** out of them. By the way......I've probably only met about a half dozen troopers on that road all summer, total. Seems low, considering that we're talking about over 40 trips in the last 3 months. I just want to say to all my fellow outdoorsman, and anyone else forced to use that road..... drive like your life depends on it. by the way....yogee, you didn't miss too much last night. I'm sure you would've limited, but the action was so-so, at best. I had to work hard to get my limit, yesterday. Fished cooper creek campground on Saturday night. Nothing but tomatoes. Fished Jim's early Sunday, and it was way high with about the same number of anglers, or a few more than last week. Didn't see one fish caught at Jim's in an hour. Wind was gusting up to 45 mph. The big gravel bar that everyone flips from is now under water. Had to go to the ferry to scrape up a limit of chromers along the big cutbank.

Shane
    Last edited by frydaddy; 07-27-2009 at 10:08. Reason: typo

One of the things I see on that stretch of highway that is insane is all the yahoo's at beluga point. They slow down or stop in the middle of the road or on the shoulders all to see a few white specks on the horizon!! It's absolutely insane!!! I have had pedestrians cross the highway without any regard for the traffic that is barrelling along at highway speed. Two years ago I came very close to wiping out an entire family that just crossed without thinking.

Exclamation Tired and sleepy drivers.

The 2 accidents were caused by tired and sleepy drivers dozing off at the wheel and not crazy drivers. Crossing the center line of traffic kills whether your eyes are open or not.

Default little red sports car

Did the little red sportie pass anyone else around right after the construction gal told everyone about the fatal accident? My .45 was out of reach - so I just honked and gave him the bird....idiots.

I don't think that this had anything to do with the people falling asleep at the wheel, but it was mentioned in an earlier post. The troopers should enforce the 5 vehicle rule. Drivers get impatient when they are behind a car going 45-50 in a 55-65 speedlimit area and that vehicle passes by places to pull over. I see troopers drive right by a 10-12 car pile up all the time. It is obvious these slow drivers are in no hurry, so why don't they take the time to pull over and let the people that want to drive the speed limit.

or how about the evil glare from those who are passing you while you are doing the speed limit while towing a trailer or boat. these people dont understand i have a half ton truck towing a boat and i wont stop on a dime or that i actually lose speed going uphill..

Very true hoose35. It goes both ways.

However, we were coming back from Soldotna on Tuesday, in the rain and crazy wind, just over the speed limit, and we got passed twice in no passing zones, and saw several near misses with people passing without enough room.

Everyone needs to chill.