Thread: can someone help me with Trajectory of my handload?

Default can someone help me with Trajectory of my handload?

Im shooting a 300 win Mag. Load is a Hornady GMX 150 grainer with a B.C of .415 I believe, and its leaving the muzzle at 3100 FPS. What is my trajectory for this load? Id like to tape a chart to my buttstock for my sheep hunt.
    Thanks!

http://www.norma.cc

they have a great ballistics program....you can enter all your parameters

or try

http://www.jbmballistics.com/~jbm/cg...bmcard-5.0.cgi

you can print a range card

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Im shooting a 300 win Mag. Load is a Hornady GMX 150 grainer with a B.C of .415 I believe, and its leaving the muzzle at 3100 FPS. What is my trajectory for this load? Id like to tape a chart to my buttstock for my sheep hunt.
    Thanks!
    The only way to truly know your trajectory is to do the field research. Shoot groups at the distances you are going to expect in the field. Take notes and compile the data yourself. Ballistic calculators are a helpful tool in preparation for the field research, but the actual ballistics will vary from the extrapolated numbers you get from the different online calculators.

Having said that the calculator I most often use is located here:

http://www.handloads.com/calc/

Thanks, that Norma site was what I was looking for.

the handloads.com one was good too, same info and calcs as the norma.

I have really come to like a program by Dave Yeater and Bob Yeater called "WinBallistics" I found it online somewhere about 10 years ago. Very simple to use and the results match published ballistics tables very well.

Absolutely...not.

Your field tests will do very little more than the program in terms of practical application, except to familiarize you with the way you shoot under varying conditions.

Either one will give you minute of moose, but the field tests will not be more precise UNLESS you shoot under every environmental variable and record same, including barometric pressure, altitude, temperature and wind.

The only way to guarantee your bullet will go exactly where you want it at long range (past 500 meters) to is to use a program such as the Horus Visions ATRAG...now it even reads and calculates altitude, temperature, wind speed and direction, humidity and plugs in all those environmental factors to your BC, velocity,bbl legnth etc.

I may take up an offer later this year to try to see if I can do a first round hit with my Blaser at 1000 yards in 6.5x55 using that program. I know that others are using the 338 Lapua to do 2600 meter 1st round hits (on man size targets)

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Thanks!
    I used "Load from a Disk" program, and YOUR figures, with a highest point of 3 inches, and 10 ft. increments.

Smitty of the North
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

This site is user friendly...

http://www.biggameinfo.com/BalCalc.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Absolutely...not.

Your field tests will do very little more than the program in terms of practical application, except to familiarize you with the way you shoot under varying conditions.

Either one will give you minute of moose, but the field tests will not be more precise UNLESS you shoot under every environmental variable and record same, including barometric pressure, altitude, temperature and wind.
    I do not disagree that all of these things may effect a bullet's impact, but for most of these variables the amount is not significant to all reasonable hunting ranges. Now I know reasonable range is debatable, but for someone asking online about trajectory charts I guessed this man was hoping for accurate information to 400 yards or so. Field experience is more effective than any internet "vanilla" program for his purposes. It will also show not just his trajectory, but also his ability to hit at these extended ranges.

There is no question that programs exist that allow for unbelievable first round hits, but even these computer programs require huge amounts of input data. For example the BC must be a real world number, not the manufacturer's suggested BC value. I've shot enough to realize that the BC given by different manufacturers is very useful in comparing their bullets to one another, but it is not helpful in comparing bullets from one manufacturer to another. Many powder burn rates do not produce linear changes in velocity with linear changes in temperature so there must be some type of field research to establish known velocity values at various temperatures.

You do not have to shoot under every environmental variable to be able to find a lot of useful information in a trajectory chart. If you have an accurate table for your bullet drop and you can dope the wind, leave the other variables to a weatherman and just concern yourself with making the shot. If you are going to shoot beyond 500 yards you had better be practicing enough to not need our help on this forum.

You are essentially saying the same thing as me

By the way, I have used some programs to calculate BCs and I have found some of the manufacturers to be extremely accurate in their BC claims.

Further (IIRC) at least with ATRAG (I will have to confirm this) the program accounts for at least velocity variations in temerature extremes.

I have been playing with th ATRAG a bit and its pretty reasonably priced for the program. Its all the accoutrements that gget ya, like the $6,000 Swiss Laser rangefinders the military uses

I like the little windmeter though