Thread: Free Halibut bait in Homer?

Default Free Halibut bait in Homer?

On our way out we saw a boat cathing fish one right after the other by the pilings on the way out of the boat harbor. They were pollack. All you had to do was drop a jig and it would not hit the bottom. I had no interest in eating them so i threw them back. Could pollack be used as Halibut bait from a legal standpoint?

Default Bait

Yep! Sure can!

They were not cod?
    Cod's the best halibut bait that I have used.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    On our way out we saw a boat cathing fish one right after the other by the pilings on the way out of the boat harbor. They were pollack.
    The pollack caught down by the land's end hotel are full of worms. Not sure why but I've seen a few of them filleted and in every case they contained nasty brown worms. If I catch any I just release them. They are fun to catch. Use flounder strips for bait.

Default Both!

Many of the fish you catch at lands end are cod there are also a lot of walleye pollock down there. I have also caught: bullheads yellowfin(butter)sole,rock sole,starry flounder,halibut,and a few other kinds of fish.
    Get yourself a good book on fish of the pacific ocean to help you identify them.Cod and pollock both make a decent halibut bait and you can use them live if you want to. Cod have the whisker on their chin pollock do not Gray cod are usually gray pollock are purplish and a bit blotchy they also have large eyes for their size.Hence the name walleye pollock.
    The best bait down there is whatever is coming out of the pipe. Salmon and halibut scraps from the gut wagon can work great. Soft bait such as thawed herring is hard to keep on the hook when you cast way out there.
    CHRIS

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Many of the fish you catch at lands end are cod there are also a lot of walleye pollock down there. I have also caught: bullheads yellowfin(butter)sole,rock sole,starry flounder,halibut,and a few other kinds of fish.
    Get yourself a good book on fish of the pacific ocean to help you identify them.Cod and pollock both make a decent halibut bait and you can use them live if you want to. Cod have the whisker on their chin pollock do not Gray cod are usually gray pollock are purplish and a bit blotchy they also have large eyes for their size.Hence the name walleye pollock.
    The best bait down there is whatever is coming out of the pipe. Salmon and halibut scraps from the gut wagon can work great. Soft bait such as thawed herring is hard to keep on the hook when you cast way out there.
    CHRIS
    I just wanted to know if Pollack was legal for Halibut bait.

Default Are you serious?

KGPCR, kasilof chris just took a good bit of time out of his day to help you out, and that is the thanks he gets? Lets see how much help you get from us local boys after that post. Dont be a D**K!!