Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Duracoat Project...

Default Duracoat Project...

I'm still pretty new to this so I attempted a factory Ruger 10/22 stock...and decided to do a little tutorial

A few of the products I'm using for this project. Iwata airbrush, mineral spirits, Tru-Strip, Krylon Webbing spray-paint, Duracoat paint and hardener, masking tape, scotch-brite, and most importantly A RESPIRATOR!!!

The stock was brand new, so it was clean to begin with. However, I stripped the stock with mineral spirits, roughed up the surface a bit with the scotch brite and cleaned it with the spirits a second time to ensure it was clean. I didn't get a whole lot of dirt off the stock, but enough to discolor the shop towels...and I always hear prep work is the most important. I decided to mask off the factory checkering to set off the color I planed to shoot, then cut out the masks with a razor knife....
    Last edited by hunt_ak; 07-29-2009 at 20:35.

Heres the stock all cleaned, stripped, and buffed....ready for paint

Here's my little table with everything I'd need. I bummed an old set of measuring spoons off my Mom for this. Laquer thinner cuts this stuff great, as does the Tru-Strip, but the Tru-Strip is expensive and I generally only use it for cleaning my brush because having a spray is convenient. You also need LATEX gloves for this stuff as Duracoat eats nitrile gloves fo lunch!! I use the jar for mixing the paint and hardener...

Did some test-spraying to make sure my brush was working on some butcher-paper

Starting to spray the stock, and YES, I'm wearing my mask!!

Making some progress...

You can see it gets pretty foggy in there....again, the mask is needed...

I'm done with the color. I've used a fair amount of paint and have maybe 2-3 layers on the stock.

Did this project over two days as I started late in the evening, so I had to disassemble my brush and completely clean it. I usually clean out the jar (inside and out) and then pour some laquer thinner in the bottom and put all the small brush parts in the bottom and soak it for a while, swishing it around. Be careful with your needle...

Had to pull my masks to check it out. If you plan on doing any other work (which I was), save the masks, they'll be helpful later...

Now for the webbing...

I'm using both black and white and haven't ever used this before so I did some test spraying on the butcher paper also...

First the black. The webbing has to fall onto your project piece so its nice if you can lay it flat so it sprays evenly. I sprayed the black first but if you wanted a more muted white, then spray the white and cover it with black. Here's where the masks come in handy. Slap 'em back on for the webbing!

After the white, I hung the stock again...

After the webbing was done, I removed the masks. I was worried about the durability of the webbing, so I decided to clear-coat the stock. I really liked the more matte finish of the stock, but I only had a gloss, so thats what I went with...

Spraying the clear...

The clear is very hard to work with...for me anyways. Its hard to see how even you are applying it and its easy to get over-done in some areas. There are a few 'heavy' areas of clear on the stock but for a beginner project, I'm happy with the outcome...

With the guts back in...

Have another 10/22 stock to do and after seeing my finished piece, my Dad wants me to paint his Tikka....guess we're in full swing now

Default Nice work!

Real clean edges and a good looking finish.
    The rifle looks sharp and the tutorial was instructive.
    Thanks for posting this and congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Have another 10/22 stock to do and after seeing my finished piece, my Dad wants me to paint his Tikka....guess we're in full swing now
    Keep up the good work. It looks great.

Default Sweeeeet!!!

Awesome stuff man

Great pictures as well.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Nice work. I may have some future projects for you to perfect your work on.

Now that's sweet. That would look great on a guide gun and I just happen to know someone who has one sitting in the safe.

WG, hit me up! Just booked a Ruger .338 and a .22-250, so I'll have 5 rifles done in a few weeks....gonna need more Duracoat!!

That does look sweet! Are you going to durracoat any barrels and actions or just stocks? I have a savage 17 that could use a sweet grey pattern like that. It is blued so for me a full coating would rock! I thought about sending it to black ice for a teflon job but on a rifle that price I just cant justify it.

LuJon, for now I've just done stocks. I may do Alaska_Lanches complete .22-250 rifle in a snow-camo lock, stock, and barrel...but we'll see what he wants to do. I'm up for it, anyways!

Hunt_Ak,

Good job on the duracoat. I've only sprayed it in solid colors, but now your spider webbed finnish has sparked an even greater interest. My mountain rifle is going to see a three color camo job. I was considering the color most closest to gray granite, an eathy brown, and olive drab. Where did you get your airbrush? It looks alot more precise than the one i have.

Dad's Tikka prepped and ready to shoot...

Sprayin.....and yes, I am wearing my wifes pink shoes...

Finished spraying the duracoat and layed the webbing this morning

Finished minus the clear coat

I am digging the SWEET PINK Crocs! At least you have good taste in sleds though... And that is by far the sweetest Tikka I have seen to date!

I knew you guys were going to like the pink shoes. The rifle does look better in person, pictures dont really do it justice...

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast