Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did they just close down the kenai to dippin?

Question Did they just close down the kenai to dippin?

am packin up and getting ready to head down there and my neighbor just told me he herd on the TV the just had an emergency order to close the Dipping down there? Any truth to this? Should i continue packing up?

HELP, this really sucks if it is true!

No EO's listed as of 7 PM Sunday night. I'd consider it a rumor for now. Go fish.

Friend just called from Centennial. That is the word spreading like wildfire down there. But, I see nothing.....
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Default Nothing here yet

I've checked everywhere I know, and my wife went down and talked to the pay shack guy. They don't have any knowledge of it closing down, but most of the campers and motor homes have left in the last two hours. Usually not everyone leaves Sunday night, so not sure what's going on. We'll keep checking, but if anything here's anything in concrete, let us know soon, please!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Default Updated message

Okay, got the news off KTUU website. They have closed the commercial guys. If they aren't doing it yet, I bet they shut the dipnetters down very soon.

http://www.ktuu.com/Global/story.asp?S=10793325

We'll keep a close eye on it, and post as soon as we hear something.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Default Kasilof is doing okay

Kasilof has already met the escapement goal for this year, so it's unlikely they'd shut the dipnet fishery there. The press release says they might re-open Kasilof to commercial setnetting. It's the Kenai that's the problem. It's 300,00 behind the low end of the escapement range. If the next couple days' sonar counts are like they've been the past four, I'd bet anything they'll shut dipnetting down.

Last one to the Copper is a rotten egg....

'cept there ain't any fish in the copper either
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I bet the dipnet fishery is closed down Monday at Midnight. The commfish folks are raising all kinds of hell about the sport and dip fisheries being left open.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticwildman View Post
    I bet the dipnet fishery is closed down Monday at Midnight. The commfish folks are raising all kinds of hell about the sport and dip fisheries being left open.

Which they should at this point with numbers the way that they are.... We all need the spawners for another year.

Was going to head down early this morning to catch the outgoing tide. My friend decided to bag it yesterday. Magic eight ball kept telling me "maybe not". Up at 6 this morning and saw this post. Nothing on the EO's as of yet though. Oh, well, I guess I'll go to work. Will be dippin for dollars today instead.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Was going to head down early this morning to catch the outgoing tide. My friend decided to bag it yesterday. Magic eight ball kept telling me "maybe not". Up at 6 this morning and saw this post. Nothing on the EO's as of yet though. Oh, well, I guess I'll go to work. Will be dippin for dollars today instead.
    Decided to do the same thing. I guess I will have to end the season with 12 out of 85 possible fishies.

Default Just Came Back

I just came back from the Kenai Dip netting and there were plenty of guys dipping on a Sunday. Many left but many more came. No word of the Dip Net fishery being shut down. Interesting.....I am assuming that if it were labeled subsistence it would be shut down.......

Default Should have gone

Kasilof escapement was over 10,000 yesterday. Fourth highest number of fish counted this month.

Then again, they just re-opened the setnetting....

Still 5 days left...can't catch any if you don't have a net in the water...

See you there on Wednesday if the boss lets me off my leash for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    'cept there ain't any fish in the copper either
    Was down there Saturday and caught my limit (30) in about 5 hours. Even caught a King and shed a little tear when I flipped the net and put him back in the water. A buddy went down Sat night and dipped from the bank at O'Brien Creek and caught his limit (15) in 6. Fishing reports have been very good since the river dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by selliott97 View Post
    Was down there Saturday and caught my limit (30) in about 5 hours. Even caught a King and shed a little tear when I flipped the net and put him back in the water. A buddy went down Sat night and dipped from the bank at O'Brien Creek and caught his limit (15) in 6. Fishing reports have been very good since the river dropped.

Shhhhhhhhh......

We don't want the entire Kenai crowd showing up in Chitina.

No closure. I saw Nickster posted on the Kenai reports that they got 27 fish with 2 nets yesterday. Descent haul. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

You guys that missed yesterdays outgoing tide missed out on a great day of catching. Fished the south beach. Caught the last half of the outgoing tide and pulled in 18 to finish out my limit of 55. The other dippers were catching a lot of fish too. Walking the net with the outgoing tide is way to catch fish. I do get a kick out of watching the people standing and holding their net during the outgoing tide. The walkers were smiling, laughing and grinning really big while the standers seemed to look rather melancholy. My way of thinking is that if you aren't catching fish then change your method. If you hold the net and aren't catching anything then get off yer rear and move the net. I had one double in the net and saw several triples and there was no reason not to to limit out yesterday. There are lots of fish in the Copper. If a hole isn't working in less than a 10 minute stretch then pull the net and move.

mrj,

Thanks?

Best year ever! Got 120 plus two humongous kings. I did the late tide last two days. We marathoned it back home last night. What a great trip!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast