Thread: 33 lbs. bruce or claw anchor?

Question 33 lbs. bruce or claw anchor?

I am in the market for a 33# claw anchor, new or used. I am located down in Wrangell. Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced source?

Alaska Mining and Diving had them in their Yard Sale.

In your case I would order one from west marine.com since you're in wrangell.

You might also want to check with Defender.com

http://www.defender.com/category.jsp...33872&id=66342

Default shipping is a killer

lists for $100, but shipping is another $142 + $7.50 additional! Ouch

OK. Here's another idea. Try LFS in Seattle.

http://www.lfsmarineoutdoor.com/scri...&sortField=sku

See how much they want to ship it to you. If it's still too high, see how much they'd charge you to deliver it to Alaska Marine Lines. My guess is that AML won't charge you more than $30 or so to barge it up to you.

In that case try iether river and sea marind in soldotna or Kachemak gear shed in homer. They will both stock that anchor and are both well versed in bush orders. I'm sure either would send it via usps for alot loess freight than what you found. Maybe deweys in anc or alaska mining and diving as well. All should have that anchor in stock.

Default yet another option

I was unhappy with the claw on my Kingfisher. It was fine for fishing where if it let go I'd be there to deal with it, but it was another issue for sleeping on board or leaving the boat unattended while hiking or hunting in PWS. After much research I went with a Rocna. It's not cheap, but anchoring a $100,000 boat on a $60 anchor isn't cheap if it ends up on the rocks.

Anyway, I ordered the Rocna from West Marine and paid a flate rate on shipping. I paid about $27 to get the 22 lb anchor shipped to my house in Wasilla which was way cheaper than paying the highly inflated price at AMDS in Anchorage.

I'm not trying to push the Rocna, but if you're looking for a new anchor you might give it some thought. AMDS and West Marine are the only ones that sell them in AK. At the time there was a sale on Rocna's so I order from WestMarine.com and it all worked out great for me. It's also a lot easier setting in kelp now and I sleep much better at anchor. You can Google Rocna if you want and make up your own mind. I'm sure the claw would be the same shipping as a Rocna from WestMarine.com...

Question

I'm in the market for an anchor as well....Does anyone have any experience with the Manson Supremes? Plow style availabe in SS or galvanized for a lot less $. Supposed to be good in varying bottom types. Have heard it's a Rocna knock off but don't know if that is factual.

http://www.petersmith.net.nz/boat-an...eme-anchor.php

Here is the link to the Manson vs Rocna discussion page.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    In that case try iether river and sea marind in soldotna or Kachemak gear shed in homer. They will both stock that anchor and are both well versed in bush orders. I'm sure either would send it via usps for alot loess freight than what you found. Maybe deweys in anc or alaska mining and diving as well. All should have that anchor in stock.
    Now that you mentioned Dewey's, I remember earlier this year seeing a huge box of them there.

Quote Originally Posted by Osteichthyes View Post
    http://www.petersmith.net.nz/boat-an...eme-anchor.php

Here is the link to the Manson vs Rocna discussion page.
    Thanks, that was an interesting read!