Thread: 45-70 load with Hornady FTX question.

Default 45-70 load with Hornady FTX question.

Has anyone worked a load for the 45-70 marlin with the new hornady FTX 325 grain bullet using IMR 30-31 powder?
    I use this powder with the hornady 350 gr. round nose with great accuracy and good velocity but none of my load books show the new bullet.
    I checked the hornady web site and they don't have a load for IMR 30-31 but do list 6 other powders (none of which I have).
    If you have any load data for this powder and bullet I would appreciate your sharing. If not I'll start to work a load next week when I get my new seating die.
    FYI : For any wanting to load this bullet if you have RCBS #20904 dies the seating die will deform the bullet tip as it is for round nose/flat nose bullets. You have to get a new seating die to load this pointed bullet.

I haven't loaded that bullet, but I have to ask if you need a whole new seating die or can you simply install a different seating stem?

A seating plug or pole is all I need but RCBS doesn't sell them that way, I don't think Hornady does either but I'm waiting for replies to my e-mails from both companies to see what I can get. A seating plug from the 458 Win Mag would work but I don't have that caliber so I guess I'll be ordering a seating die with the pointed bullet seating plug.

Quote Originally Posted by jupiterak View Post
    A seating plug or pole is all I need but RCBS doesn't sell them that way, I don't think Hornady does either but I'm waiting for replies to my e-mails from both companies to see what I can get. A seating plug from the 458 Win Mag would work but I don't have that caliber so I guess I'll be ordering a seating die with the pointed bullet seating plug.
    jupiterak, I have been watching your post for a follow-up on the seating die for the Hornady FTX bullet. Did you get another die, how much was it and how well did it work?

I haven't loaded that bullet yet, but I also use 3031 with the Cast Performance bullet. The Hornady book doesn't even have data for that bullet. They want you to buy their ammo instead of reloading. I signed up with Loaddata.com & this is what they show for that powder. I have not used these loads--so please approach them with caution.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Update on seating die:

RCBS will make a seater plug. You have to send them three bullets and some info on the plug threds. Takes a month or longer. It's about $20 plus shipping.

Hornady makes just a seater die with two plugs. One is for the pointed bullets. But they don't sell direct so you have to find a dealer or online company that has just the seater die. I had the Hornady product number but couldn't find just the seater die. Every where I looked or asked they said they only have the three die set. With frustration setting in I ordered the three die set.

So I have the RCBS dies set to load the 350 grain round nose and the Hornady dies set to load the 325 pointed bullet. The Hornady die works great and doesn't deform the bullet tips.

Should be shooting the 325's on thursday.

I think your 350rns will out preform it in takeing bigger game. My 350 load was like yours and every bear was a one shot deal in and out and down for the count