Thread: 1895 Marlin-shooting low

Default 1895 Marlin-shooting low

Has anyone had problems with their Marlin levers shooting extremely low out of the box? Took my 1895S 45/70 to Birchwood, and was not hitting paper or cardboard for that matter. Starting moving the rear leaf up-when it broke. The folks at Wild West were kind enough to supply a new one, but it didn't help-even when elevated to maximum.
    I talked to someone at work who had also heard of Marlin installing the wrong blade on their rifle-and ended up shipping it back to the factory for resolution...
    I suppose an aperture sight is in my future, but spite wants me to send it back.

Happened with my Ruger #3 and a Marlin among afew others. This is what I have replaced with and I like them so far.Also put them on a few 22's for folks and no complains so far'

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...EYE_REAR_SIGHT

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Has anyone had problems with their Marlin levers shooting extremely low out of the box? Took my 1895S 45/70 to Birchwood, and was not hitting paper or cardboard for that matter. Starting moving the rear leaf up-when it broke. The folks at Wild West were kind enough to supply a new one, but it didn't help-even when elevated to maximum.
    I talked to someone at work who had also heard of Marlin installing the wrong blade on their rifle-and ended up shipping it back to the factory for resolution...
    I suppose an aperture sight is in my future, but spite wants me to send it back.
    Sure sounds like the front sight is way too tall. Traditional sidelock muzzleloaders with their simple blade front sights and non-adjustable rear sights are intentionally supplied this way so you can file off the top of the front blade a little at a time to sight them in. Then just drift the sight left or right for windage. If your Marlin has a bead front sight rather than a blade that you can file, then it's definitely time for a lower replacement.

Bring it in with your test target

If I'm not mistaken, Marlin makes three different rear sight blade heights for the lever guns. Make sure you have the right one, should be part #202242. The 30/30 and 444 are different part #'s. That part # is just for the blade, not the whole sight. Good luck!

Those stock sights are junk. Consider the XS Sight System ghost ring sights.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Those stock sights are junk. Consider the XS Sight System ghost ring sights.
    The stock sights that came on my Marlin 45/70 GG "Trapper Version" seem pretty decent. Have the green fiber optic rear sights and a red front sights. Made by a Williams fire sights. Not sure if this is what comes standard on the non-trapper version guide guns, but I like the optical sights and actually prefer it to the ghost ring that I have looked through for me atleast. Glad you like your ghost rign though.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

seems to me that if you want to RAISE point of impact... you need to LOWER your rear sight...thus forcing you to lift the barrle up to allow for your yardage...

also how far are you trying to hit. with your lever gun? mine would hold on at 100yds and be in the dirt at 105 with 20" of lift... keep it close to aobut 50 and you should see better results until you get to knowher....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post

Not sure if this is what comes standard on the non-trapper version guide guns, but I like the optical sights and actually prefer it to the ghost ring that I have looked through for me atleast. Glad you like your ghost rign though.
    Definately a matter of preference. I could have articulated that better in the previous post. "Junk" was a bit harsh perhaps

I tried adjusting my stock sights with little success. I bought the gun for remote float trips (bears) and the factory sights were not impressing me. Wiggled a bit even. I swapped them out for the ghost ring sights with wings (protectors) and love them. Zeroed the gun in and these things are rock solid. Confidence inspiring even. Perhaps I just got a bum set of factory sights. Maybe not installed properly. Operator error. Who knows.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    seems to me that if you want to RAISE point of impact... you need to LOWER your rear sight...thus forcing you to lift the barrle up to allow for your yardage
    Ahhh - A senior moment - I love 'em.

The rear sight and the front sight are so easy to change out and cost so little as to make this an easy fix. Gunbugs has lots of sights in stock and got me back in business when I broke the rear sight on a Marlin. There are three different heights of rears (actually four different heights of the Lyman flip down folder but the Marlin part numbers I think are just for two) and many different Lyman or Marble fronts available. Probably putting a taller sight on the rear will be the easiest fix. The one you broke was very short, that's why they break so easy that notch makes them very thin and they break when folding them down. Also, that truck spring they use to hold it in place holds it so tight it breaks when you flip it down. I drove the spring out of the dovetail and unsprung it by about 50# then installed correct height rear. It snaps up and down easily now.

A down side of these sights is that they are not rugged. A knock against that rear sight can break it or jam it and make it useless. The rear aperatures, particularly those with wings, are very rugged and very fast to acquire with the open ghost ring type aperature. I prefer a square front post with them.

Vince, Move the rear sight the direction you want to move the group.

You knew that, just joshin' ya.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

But again, its still under warranty

seems to me that if you want to RAISE point of impact... you need to LOWER your rear sight...thus forcing you to lift the barrle up to allow for your yardage...

also how far are you trying to hit. with your lever gun? mine would hold on at 100yds and be in the dirt at 105 with 20" of lift... keep it close to aobut 50 and you should see better results until you get to knowher....
    No, rear sight has to come up. All shooting was between 25 and 50 yards. I had my brother shoot it as well just to take out "operator error" factor.

Thanks all for the replies and advice. I'm up in Prudhoe for a few more days, and will deal with it when I get home.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

before you go all crazy buying new sights, I would decide on what load you are going to be shooting. the vertical POI difference between, say a BB 350 gr load and a Rem 405 load will be substantial. 400-600 fps difference between loads could very well be the difference in being on paper and off.

one thing for sure, I would not be inclinded to ship the thing all the way back to Marlin for someting as simple as a sight change, or fix.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

uhhhhhhhhhh......

My 1895 MXLR (450 marlin) was perfect out of the box, hopefully you can fix yours.

KRS

i'm kind of late on this thread, but thought to chime in anyway. this is one of my 95"s with a 200 yd open sight group. the low shot is a sighter, and after raising the aperture i shot the last three. shooting with a game warden friend of mine (witness) at least HE was impressed. check out my other pics.

i recommend this lyman sight ( a williams, or ashley is also very good).
    happy trails.
    jh

Here's another vote for the XS Ghost Ring set up!

I went with the williams peep and bright red front. I think the height was .375 as measured from the base of the sight itself not the ramp. Took a little file work and used a vise to press it in but I am happy thus far. Just kicks like a pro soccer player.. (HA)

Default i dont understand !!

I dont understand ! I cut it twice and it is still too short !!
    Little bullets might expand ! But big bullets never shrink !
    When you swim with big fish try not to act like bait !