Thread: Are Texans allowed in Alaska? In 17B

Default Are Texans allowed in Alaska? In 17B

New to the forum. Thanks for having me.

I was recently invited on a DIY moose hunt in Alaska in zone 17B. I know nothing about the terrain and what gear I should bring. I will be going hunting Sep. 3-15th. Seems that rain is very likely but is a little early for snow fall(???).
    I will be having to make alot of decisions on what gear to bring. I can't stand going somewhere and not being prepared.
    I realize this may get long winded,and I apologize

I assume I will be spending alot of time walking and hopefully stalking. This is why waders and boots are among the first things to discuss. I have duck hunted alot around the gulf coast. I have wore neopreme waders on many sitting hunts. Personally I could not imagine walking more that a mile wearing these. Do most of you put waders on to cross ditches and crossings and them remove them to continue the hike? Or what you leave camp with is normally what you return wearing? I love the Lacrosse hip boots, but personally my feet sweet so bad I could not imagine wearing them all day either. So I geuss there is breathable chest waders that could be worn with tennis shoes. How breathable are these? What is killing me is I do not know what the terrain demands. Sounds like wet feet is something that you can't get away from. Can you guys breifly descibe the normal hike that I should expect in this area. Like I said excuse my ignorance, but this trip was highly recommended from a friend of a friend. So....none of use are really experienced on what the trip will demand. Thanks

sent you a PM.

None of you are experienced with this type hunt? Now that will be interesting. Ankle fit hip boots are what a lot of people wear. Last year I wore a pair that fit over my normal hunting boots and they did ok. There are a few things to think about. Yes, it will rain, be prepared. I've been snowed on out there on 19 Sept but that was a litle higher up so while possible, not probable. Another is a moose weighes A LOT and the farther you are from camp, the heavier its going to be. If there are two of you, its going to take awhile getting it back to camp. Make sure you get the F&G video of meat care and avoid waste and you'll have to look at "Is This Moose Legal". I'd recommend you buy it and watch it a few times. I have an equipment list if you need one, you can't drive to the store if you forget something.
    As far as letting Texans into 17B, well you have to leave a bond redeemable after you leave. Just kidding, good luck and have a great hunt.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Hell NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!we are still trying to get rid of the last batch that showed up...

I wore waders hunting moose ONCE.. .never again... i have a pair or neoprene Chester's i keep in the box been used ONCE... Clamming this last spring they are now 4 years old...

my boots will dry if i need them too..... hiking more then a mile for a moose is about the LAST thing you will ever do twice. golden rule...

NO MORE THEN ONE MILE>>>>> absolute period.. figure 11 loads for ONE decent sized moose of about lbs on the bone...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default sure

Texans are allowed. Once you decide what to wear on your feet, you should buy it down there. We don't have any men's shoes smaller than size thirteen up here. Hope you have a great, successful hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    None of you are experienced with this type hunt? Now that will be interesting. Ankle fit hip boots are what a lot of people wear. Last year I wore a pair that fit over my normal hunting boots and they did ok. There are a few things to think about. Yes, it will rain, be prepared. I've been snowed on out there on 19 Sept but that was a litle higher up so while possible, not probable. Another is a moose weighes A LOT and the farther you are from camp, the heavier its going to be. If there are two of you, its going to take awhile getting it back to camp. Make sure you get the F&G video of meat care and avoid waste and you'll have to look at "Is This Moose Legal". I'd recommend you buy it and watch it a few times. I have an equipment list if you need one, you can't drive to the store if you forget something.
    As far as letting Texans into 17B, well you have to leave a bond redeemable after you leave. Just kidding, good luck and have a great hunt.
    People keep recommending this and I don't get it. Why buy a video that is available FREE on the web. Just go to http://www.multimedia.adfg.alaska.gov/#video and then click on "is this moose legal" sit back and watch the darn thing. I mean really click on the link right now, then click on "is this moose legal" and literally sit back and watch it RIGHT NOW. For those of you living in 1994 w/ the internet that dials a number then makes a bunch of funny noises before connecting well you are probably out of luck... For the rest of us just "click" the link grab a beer and enjoy!

Lujon, for one I didn't realize that they posted the video on the website. I bought it a loooong time ago. Also some of the internet connections make watching a video a 6 pack process instead of just one since it takes so long to down load.
    Besides, if he buys it we get a Texan supporting Alaska Fish and Game! What could be better?

The over boots I wore last year can be packed in the backpack until needed. Listen to vince, packing a moose back more than a mile to camp will make you ask if you'll ever pull tjhe trigger on a second moose unless its standing in camp.

Always heard there are many majestic sloughfoots up there. I didn't say I am proud to be from the most egotistical state there is.

As for waders, I am very familiar with the LaCross green hip waders. I plan to buy another pair to take up there. Are chest waders ever needed? If they are, how do the breathable chest waders hold up?

If you make the ultimate mistake of shooting one in the water, chest waders may be needed, or a SCUBA tank. You'll be going through brush, trees, etc. so you would need something tought. My brother ruined a pair of regulat Lacross hip boots last year on a moose hunt. I've never used the breathable yet but I would think they would not hold up to the brush/

You are probably right. What about a spotting scope? Do most of you bring one on moose hunts. My binos are only Nikon 10x42 monarchs.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Hell NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!we are still trying to get rid of the last batch that showed up...
    Looks like ya missed one, Vince! I am the guy who is out feeding fresh salmon to the bears so I can take pictures!

Welcome to Alaska, Travis. As a feller Texan you'd love the cooler temperatures over the triple-digit heat back home. May I ask if you are also a hog-hunter? And what part are you from? I am from Corpus Christi and Dallas.

It's hard to live in Texas and not see pigs. Our family has a section of land and I shoot several with my bow every year. They are so much fun to shoot along with great target practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post

I wore waders hunting moose ONCE.. .never again... i have a pair or neoprene Chester's i keep in the box been used ONCE... Clamming this last spring they are now 4 years old...

my boots will dry if i need them too..... hiking more then a mile for a moose is about the LAST thing you will ever do twice. golden rule...

NO MORE THEN ONE MILE>>>>> absolute period.. figure 11 loads for ONE decent sized moose of about lbs on the bone...
    No more than one mile!! AMEN SIR!!! Amen.

As far as foot wear on a moose hunt, get yourself a pair of helly hansens, they'll do great. Also, Cabelas has come out with some awesome rubber boots now that give really decent ankle support, and feel like a running shoe, while still being 18" high. If you get the ones that are low in insulation, they will be light enough to hike all day! I own a pair myself.

You will learn that up here its hard to walk 100 yards in any direction without running into some form of water, usually swamp water in the tundra mounds, and I found that "waterproof" hiking boots are worthless when you step in a puddle deeper than 6 inches so steer clear of that decision. But man, hip boots just seem like overkill to me!

If you find yourself in a situation where you need to be wearing chest waders on a moose hunt, something went really wrong!!!!!!

Your Nikons are a great set of binocs but a spotting scope will help if you have any high ground in your hunting area. Sure makes it easier to decide if it is a worthwhile moose to go trekking after.

Bring some sort of hip waders and a waterproof hiking boot, even on dry years we have plenty of water around.

Don't shoot a moose in the water!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    People keep recommending this and I don't get it. Why buy a video that is available FREE on the web. Just go to http://www.multimedia.adfg.alaska.gov/#video and then click on "is this moose legal" sit back and watch the darn thing. I mean really click on the link right now, then click on "is this moose legal" and literally sit back and watch it RIGHT NOW. For those of you living in 1994 w/ the internet that dials a number then makes a bunch of funny noises before connecting well you are probably out of luck... For the rest of us just "click" the link grab a beer and enjoy!
    And for anyone who hadn't seen it, Mark Richards (aka Bushrat) has a couple of snippets in the "Alaska's Fur Heritage" video.

Default Muck boots

Anyone use much brand hip waders? I plan to go to Bass Pro tomorrow and check them out. If not most likely get another pair of Lacrosse hippers.