Thread: pike fishing in sand lake

Default pike fishing in sand lake

Hey, I went fishing at sand lake the other day and cought 3, 10 inch pike and was wondering how big they get in that lake so i can get some big ones. Also if there are some big ones in there were do they like to hang out and what do they like. Thanks in advance, Jimbo
    Ron Paul 2008 RESTORE OUR CONSTITUTION

TRY JESUS

ILY

well they are all gonna be dead soon cause they are retononing it
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Jimbo,

Sorry I cant help on how big the pike get in Sand lake but was wondering if you were fishing from the bank or from a raft? I have a small Avon and want to get the boys into some pike in the evenings. I have heard there is a public access point on the south west side of the lake but havent yet searched it out to find how close to the road it is. Sounds like you had a good day over there.

Mark

4 years ago my friend caught a 42 incher...since then ive only seen 3 or 4 that were more than 36". they are killing off sand lake in september. try the south bank between the canals, thats where ive seen the big ones.

Find the cover....
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hookemup View Post
    Jimbo,

Sorry I cant help on how big the pike get in Sand lake but was wondering if you were fishing from the bank or from a raft? I have a small Avon and want to get the boys into some pike in the evenings. I have heard there is a public access point on the south west side of the lake but havent yet searched it out to find how close to the road it is. Sounds like you had a good day over there.

Mark

Head east on 80th from Sand Lake Road. The road ends at the parking area for the public access. Parking is limited, maybe room for five or six vehicles near the access. There's a small set of steps down to the water, which is about 20 feet from the road. It's one of the canals that lead to the main body of the lake. A local told me if you head west in the lake to the deep end (it's about 30 - 35 feet deep at that end), you can catch char. If you head east there are supposedly pike on that side of the lake, but I've never hooked one.

Here's the link to the ADF&G map of the lake. You might want to stay out of the middle of the lake because planes take off and land every so often, mostly on weekends. They tend to taxi from the east end of the lake, but that might depend on the winds, I guess.

If you want to have fun with your kids when the fish aren't biting, have them count the number of beer and soda cans you'll see on the bottom in the shallower areas. There are some real pigs who use the lake, from the looks of it. If you take the canal back through the neighborhood on the east end you'll think they flooded a landfill.

It's a pretty lake, though, and I've met some friendly people there when icefishing in the winter.

Default Hey lucky boy, pike palace, et.al.,

How about helping do your part to keep religion and politics out of this forum??

"Complex problems have simple and easy-to-understand wrong answers." ~ Anon

Default sorry but

Quote Originally Posted by bobber View Post
    How about helping do your part to keep religion and politics out of this forum??
    How does no sound?
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    How does no sound?

I like that answer. LOL

Yeah How bouta a big NO!! :P
    Ron Paul 2008 RESTORE OUR CONSTITUTION

TRY JESUS

ILY

sand lake is now dead till next year when they restock it

Release Lake Trout

Default Well, maybe it'll freeze at least....

Yeah, they rotenoned it about 2 weeks ago from what I heard. It's one of my favorite places to ice fish in Anchorage, but I guess that's that for this year. Still, for anyone who likes to cross-country ski for exercise (I do), that's a great place to do it. One of the locals sets tracks for classical skiing and grooms a path for skate skiing all the way around the lake. Really fantastic having that kind of neighbor.

I hope they'll put some char back in the lake when they restock.

Maybe they'll give me a grant so I can rent scuba gear and pull some of the thousands of aluminum cans out of the lake... really a shame what some people do to that lake and Jewel Lake...

F&G stopped stocking sand lake with trout a while back after they confirmed pike were in there...no point in feeding them.

Hopefully, they can re-stock it in the spring like they did with Cheney Lake (after nuke-ing the pike there last year). From what I heard, they put some very decent fish back into Cheney, as opposed to the dinks they're stuck stocking into the rest of the lakes right now (at least until they get the new hatchery on-line).

As an aside...I heard that a pike was reported to have been caught from Jewel Lake this fall (ugh). Pike in Jewel hadn't been on F&G's radar, from what I understand. Has anyone else heard this?

ive fished jewel lake my whole life, and ive never seen a pike in there or heard of one being caught....still, its possible....during breakup or after a really heavy rain, a determined pike could manuever its way from sand lake to sundi lake, then to jewel lake...its wet enough back there! or maybe some jerk caught one in sand and thought it would be funny to dump it off in jewel....more likely scenario... they say they plan to stock sand lake with lake trout, arctic char and rainbow trout. lake trout have been caught in sand lake, i know, i witnessed my buddy catch a 7.5 lber there 2 years back by the public dock near the school. pictures!

Release Lake Trout

he caught it on small herring while we were fishing for pike....his first fish he ever caught up here. very interesting. it stole about 6 of his herring before he finally hooked it.

Release Lake Trout