Thread: Ruger Single Six 17 HMR help please.

Default Ruger Single Six 17 HMR help please.

I've invested heavily in this pistol and the accuracy just isnt there. The pistol is sporting a 2x Nikkon Monarch Pistol Scope, Weigand Combat weaver base, a 2lb. trigger, and pachmyer target grips. At the range I'm getting around three inch groups at 25 yds. I'd like to get a bit more accuracy out of it. Are there any tricks to getting tighter groups out of this pistol? Also.....there's some noticeable play in the cylinder which is prob. why I'm getting such groups.....any way to tighten that up a bit?

All said the SS is a plinker for sure but can be set up to shoot better than what you are getting.I would first buy a new cylinder stop and try to fit it tight to as many notches as you can keeping them tight. Next would be a cylinder pin and fit it for a much tighter fit..Last is BC gap and is everything square. If you don't need the sights you could turn a barrel blank to fit the frame and set everything prefect.Also check for extra play where the cylinder rod goes through the frame.Your gun should do better but its probably with-in specs and regretfully good enough for 95% of the folks that buy that gun.Good luck

Amigo,

Thanks for your informative post. I'm determined to get better accuracy from this pistol. I did find that "larger" diameter base pin you are reffering to. They were pretty affordable and I think that a new base pin will be a good idea. If I can cut the groups in half.......I'd be happy. The open sights are of no use to me either......so off with the front sight. I'll screw the barrel in just a touch too. I've learned that the .17 is just too small for a mass produced revolver. These pistols are a "kit" gun from the second you buy one. Any play, or loose tolerance.......is intensified with this finnicky 17. A 22 would prob. give better accuracy because of the normal play in the cylinder of a single six......maybe even better from a .38 target pistol. Also.....is there any way to polish the cone?

Brownells has chamfering cutters down to 22cal but don't see any for 17..

Beyond fitting a new cyl stop and getting a Belt Mtn base pin if the cyl has alot of endshake you will need to stretch the gas ring to tighten it up. This requires a special jig or if it is an extreme case you may have to have the gas ring machined out and bushed. Endshake has alot to do with accuracy in revolvers and you may have everthing just right but if it doesnt lock up in the same place every time you cannot get the maximum accuracy out of it.

well i can tell you the .22lr and the .22mags shoot less that one inch at 25 yards out of my single six in stainless. Its hard to believe that little .17 isnt a shooter. I have had a bunch of .17hmr long guns and they were all EXCELENT in the accuracy department. I hope you get that single six fixed up!

I'll prob. just do one mod at a time and head back to the range to confirm if it imroved accuracy. I'll first start with that base pin. The pistol is fairly new and the cylinder stop feels pretty tight. I will then devise some way to polish the cone....prob with a fine polishing compound and a small felt dremel tip. If that doesnt do it......I'll screw the barrel in a bit, but.....the gap is not that big. If this doesnt imrpove the accuracy.....I'll just have to accept that this pistol def. has very limited range. Removing the front sight and screwing the barrel in will prob. be the last resort attempt.....and im not to keen on doing this. I'm unable to find this thicker cylinder stop......does anybody have a link to it?

Any new one should be bigger than the one in your gun as it hasn't been fitted yet.

You may want to add lapping the barrel to your list.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona