Thread: Kenai or Kasilof tomorrow (Mon 27JUL)

Question Kenai or Kasilof tomorrow (Mon 27JUL)

This is my first year dipnetting. I've been twice already with measly results. 9 the first trip (18JUL) and 3 the second (22 JUL). Apparently, if I stayed longer the first trip I would have netted more fishies...left around 6. I've been to the Kenai (city side) both times. Will it be worth my while to go tomorrow? Keep in mind I don't have a vehicle I can drive on the beach.

Thank you to everyone who replies!

Personally, I would consider the Kasilof. You don't have to drive on the beach. Go to the north beach access (about mile 5 of K-Beach) and you can drive to within 100 yards of the fishing without driving on the beach sand. There are no user fees, so it's cheaper and closer access than the Kenai beach with the toll booths and such.

I'd hardly call getting a dozen wild Alaskan salmon fresh out of the ocean "measly" results. Go to the grocery store and look at how much you'd spend for 24 fresh red salmon fillets in the meat department. We should all be thankful for what we harvest, regardless of size and quantity.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Personally, I would consider the Kasilof. You don't have to drive on the beach. Go to the north beach access (about mile 5 of K-Beach) and you can drive to within 100 yards of the fishing without driving on the beach sand. There are no user fees, so it's cheaper and closer access than the Kenai beach with the toll booths and such.

I'd hardly call getting a dozen wild Alaskan salmon fresh out of the ocean "measly" results. Go to the grocery store and look at how much you'd spend for 24 fresh red salmon fillets in the meat department. We should all be thankful for what we harvest, regardless of size and quantity.

I am very happy with the 12 I got, it just doesn't go far between 7 people. I was just hoping someone smarter than I could give me some insight on when the salmon will show up again. I've been out of state for the Military the last 2 years during fishing season. I would just really like to have a freezer full of fish.

The salmon are here now. There is no schedule. One just needs to go down there and put the net in the water. Sometimes it will take longer than at other times. But the one thing that is for certain, the longer you wait to go fishing from this point, the fewer fish you will get before the season closes.

They canceled tomorrow's commercial opener. That means more fish coming in Monday night and Tuesday morning. However, it also means that there were fewer fish to start with and fishing is going to remain fairly slow.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!