Thread: Caribou In The Valley

Default Caribou In The Valley

I was told of people spotting Caribou in the valley.

What do ya think about that?

I hope you heard correct, that would be nice to have a few around the Valley.
    Paul

The valley being Wasilla area? If so, in the past there have been escaped reindeer from the Reindeer Farm near the Butte. Maybe that's where they're from?

ive seen caribou in the talkeetna mountains just above sheep creek, but thats the farthest south i know of them being

Historically they ranged all the way down to turnagain pass. I had a great conversation with a neighbor who was in his 80's about hunting Bou in what had become our neighborhood. But as Brian has pointed out it isn't that uncommon for a reindeer farm escapee to get valley harts jumping!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

An old timer I know told me the story of his first caribou, which was shot in Hatchers Pass long before I was born. I've also heard stories from others that caribou roamed Hatchers decades ago. A family friend swears he found a caribou skull with antlers in tact near Metal Creek in the 70's.

I haver seen them that far south but I did shoot a caribou in the Talkeetna's last summer.

Berry picking up Hatcher pass we saw a band of bou in the early 90's. Probably 10-15 animals skylined on a ridge. I have heard that they once ranged to Turnigan and beyond but I have also heard that Blacktails were once found in ANC. So who knows.

blacktails were in anch a few years ago.....i saw over a dozen different deer over a week in the sand lake/ kincaid area, and there were photos in the daily paper of deer on the hillside (one a small buck following and hanging out with a cow moose) and near kincaid school. look it up at adn.com ....for a while there was a huge buck living in potter marsh....all of a sudden they were gone, disappeared....we think that the fish and game killed them all to protect the moose?

My partner and I saw two bull in hatchers about 8-10 years ago .Walked right across Gov. peak. Alex

Seen lots a Caribou around the motor mushers Cabin. I've seen them near Hatcher's Pass road as well.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

They are small bands on the west side of the Talkeetnas. They've even roamed down to the Talkeetna Spur Road a few winters back. I've seen them on the Big Su as far south as the mouth of the Kashwitna River. They also crossed the river over towards Trapper Creek. It's pretty neat to see them.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem